• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

That did not look good !

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://news.yahoo.com/us-sailors-hit-hood-attack-turkey-173145185.html;_ylt=AwrTWf1ynGNUSisAbpXQtDMD

- A group of nationalist Turkish youths on Wednesday attacked three visiting US sailors in Istanbul, trying to force sacks on their heads in an assault angrily condemned by the US government.

I've ran into small crowds like this .. chanting yankee go home and other garbage. For me, it was not "time to run away" but "time to kick some foreign trash".

Ya gotta kick the crap out of those guys, not run away.

Navy .. jeesh ...

Anytime a foreigner said "yankee go home" it was go time .. I did not care if 100 people were chanting. Knock one on their ass( and the rest run away and the ones that didn't wished that they did.

That's the USAF way....the Chicago way.

Last edited:

Jeff. State

Banned
http://news.yahoo.com/us-sailors-hit-hood-attack-turkey-173145185.html;_ylt=AwrTWf1ynGNUSisAbpXQtDMD

- A group of nationalist Turkish youths on Wednesday attacked three visiting US sailors in Istanbul, trying to force sacks on their heads in an assault angrily condemned by the US government.

I've ran into small crowds like this .. chanting yankee go home and other garbage. For me, it was not "time to run away" but "time to kick some foreign trash".

Navy .. jeesh ...

Anytime a foreigner said "yankee go home" it was go time .. I did not care if 100 people were chanting. Knock one on their ass( and the rest run away and the ones that didn't wished that they did.

Maybe gays in the military wasn't such a good idea.

ETA: In Turkey, who exactly is the "Foreign trash" in this video?

It is rather amusing this sissy fight has turned into an "International Incident" worthy of statements from Government.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Navy .. jeesh ...

Really?

And how did your command respond, after getting their hind parts chewed by many layers of higher authority?

It's difficult to conceal an altercation, let alone an actual fight, between visiting service members and the locals, so please don't try to tell me nobody heard about it.

Honestly, your stories do not begin "No s***, this is real. I was there." They start off "Once upon a time in land of magic ...."

stay safe.

Jeff. State

Banned
Why didn't those boys tell the Turks that they were making a mistake, that the US Navy is a "Global Force for Good"?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Really?

And how did your command respond, after getting their hind parts chewed by many layers of higher authority?

It's difficult to conceal an altercation, let alone an actual fight, between visiting service members and the locals, so please don't try to tell me nobody heard about it.

Honestly, your stories do not begin "No s***, this is real. I was there." They start off "Once upon a time in land of magic ...."

stay safe.

Never had one complaint filed by a civilian against me while I was in the service. And ANYTIME a civilian told me "yankee go home" when I was overseas (99% of the time it was young folks ~ the older people appreciated the USA saving their butts in WWII) it was "lesson-teaching" time via fist to head instruction. Had a few classes taught.

I generally did not wear my uniform off base ... if I would have, it would have been required to be my dress uniform. I don't recall anytime I wore my dress uniform in fact.

I had no problem cracking the heads of English and Germans ... had more issues in Germany than England. Italy is supposed to be a nice place to be, from what I heard. Never visited there.

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran

Navy .. jeesh ...

When I wore a younger mans clothes, I was a Sailor for the USA. I was a Gunners Mate(diver) and I had the same young people yell at me. Some of them were in other countries, some were here in the good 'ole USA. In other counties, discretion was advised. In the USA, when confronted this way, it was a great deal more physical.
I would not have allowed a bag over my head. At that point, it would be self defense. These young Sailors, tho, looked a bit milquetoast.Running may have been a good option for them.

davidmcbeth

Banned
<snip>.Running may have been a good option for them.

So you are saying that because they are Navy, that running is the best that they got?

lol ... kidding

Really, they'll try that with every american fighting man .. they'll get their head stomped sooner or later (they cannot just run into Navy personnel, right?)

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Given the current political atmosphere in our military I think those guys did a good job keeping cool and getting out of the situation without causing themselves or the Navy a bigger immediate issue. It could have been a much worse situation.