Thread: An urgent need to raise historical literacy.

Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin

An urgent need to raise historical literacy.

We must do a better job. If children fail to learn American history, they cannot possibly understand the rights and values that make America a great country today.

That’s why it’s more important now than ever to find creative ways to introduce young people to American history. In [Mrs. Newt Gingrich's] “From Sea to Shining Sea,” Ellis the Elephant joins the Lewis and Clark expedition as they venture west into unknown territory. Ellis helps children see that courage matters, having big dreams matters, and patriotism matters.

History is written by the victors, like Rush Limbaugh and Callista Gingrich, while Dinesh D'Souza dodges prison. Beware The Poverty of Historicism (Karl Popper, 1957, Routledge)
    Last edited by Nightmare; 11-13-2014 at 06:59 AM.
    If TRUMP 2016 loses then I will shrug off my WHITE MAN'S BURDEN and leave the world to the Dindus and Done Nuffins. Read and understand Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged as a prescription for the future. TRUMP 2016

White Oak Plantation
    It could be said that history is yesterdays news...what is important is what news will be made tomorrow. Just as our rights are not subject to the vote, history is written after the fact.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    It can't be impossible to understand the rights and values that make America a great country today without learning American history, else how did anyone know or learn of them before America's founding? Give your loved ones a clear and direct education on fundamental principles. If history can be used to that end, great.
    Righteous government, or the righteous lack thereof, is the product of a righteous society, not the producer of it.