Thread: If you're gonna use a gun, use the right one, and learn to use it right!

If you're gonna use a gun, use the right one, and learn to use it right!

This is an awful story, with local ties. I know the family of Bethany, and I really can't imagine the pain they have endured for the past five years.

If you're going to use a gun for self-defense, pick one that will work, and learn to use it effectively. The gun-grabbers will be all over this story, blaming the victim for having a gun.

TFred

Last person to see Bethany Decker charged with trying to kill another woman

Thomas said Vickie Willoughby, described as Roldan's girlfriend, shot Roldan twice -- once in the chest and once in the abdomen. Roldan grabbed Willoughby's 38 caliber handgun and shot her once in the head. She is expected to survive.

Banned
    Thomas said Vickie Willoughby, described as Roldan's girlfriend, shot Roldan twice -- once in the chest and once in the abdomen. Roldan grabbed Willoughby's 38 caliber handgun and shot her once in the head.

Read more: http://www.wtop.com/41/3741997/Last-...#ixzz3J3nWPj00

How is this gonna turn out? They both shot each other. Beyond a reasonable doubt is the yardstick for this case I think.

A 38 to the head? That's usually a harp-music shot.

She shot him twice. He then grabbed the gun from her and shot her once. And she's the one who shot in self defense?

Yes, I know there is a whole lot of information about the "domestic violence" incident that led up to her shooting him that has not been reported.

I was astounded and flabbergasted to learn that NC law http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedL.../GS_14-33.html specifically criminalizes with an enhanced penalty the assault of a woman by a male over the age of 18 but does not specifically criminalize with an enhanced penalty the assault of a male by a female over the age of 18. I don't think you would even need a good lawyer to get that one thrown out as unconsitutionally discriminatory based on sex.

TFred - what gun would you have recommended? I've read of folks surviving hits by 12-guage slugs and .50BMG - it's all about shot placement. Lots of places in the gut and chest where you do not do that much damage, and a glancing shot to the head or one through parts that do not control CNS/motor function are survivable.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

The only problem I see is she did not continue to pull the trigger. Looks like she got center mass both times, so claiming she did not know how to use it does not compute. IMO it looks like he is a nut case where being crazy overrode his reaction to being shot. This could happen to anyone, even very well trained agents with large caliber super guns.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    She shot him twice. He then grabbed the gun from her and shot her once. And she's the one who shot in self defense?

Yes, I know there is a whole lot of information about the "domestic violence" incident that led up to her shooting him that has not been reported.

I was astounded and flabbergasted to learn that NC law http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedL.../GS_14-33.html specifically criminalizes with an enhanced penalty the assault of a woman by a male over the age of 18 but does not specifically criminalize with an enhanced penalty the assault of a male by a female over the age of 18. I don't think you would even need a good lawyer to get that one thrown out as unconsitutionally discriminatory based on sex.

TFred - what gun would you have recommended? I've read of folks surviving hits by 12-guage slugs and .50BMG - it's all about shot placement. Lots of places in the gut and chest where you do not do that much damage, and a glancing shot to the head or one through parts that do not control CNS/motor function are survivable.

stay safe.
    Back in the late 1980s there was a guy I worked with who was shot in the gut at point blank range with a shotgun on his doorstep and he survived. Apparently his wife had hired a hitman for whatever reason. He ended up forgiving her and visiting her many times in prison while he waited for her to be released
    Last edited by scouser; 11-14-2014 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    Back in the late 1980s there was a guy I worked with who was shot in the gut at point blank range with a shotgun on his doorstep and he survived. Apparently his wife had hired a hitman for whatever reason. He ended up forgiving her and visiting her many times in prison while he waited for her to be released
    Back in the 70's a SPD officer was shot off duty in a park at point blank range with a rifle and survived. But it got really screwy when the details started to emerge. After finding his story fishy he claimed that he attempted to commit suicide, but failed. The truth finally came out that he was boinking a SPPD officer when his wife caught them and shot him in the chest. No charges were ever filed though, guess it would have been a nightmare to try to get a conviction when he already claimed he was committing suicide.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

TFred - what gun would you have recommended? I've read of folks surviving hits by 12-guage slugs and .50BMG - it's all about shot placement.
    I guess from these and other stories, it doesn't make that much difference. I guess I'd like to have a little more margin for error.

TFred

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    You should not be. It's a disturbing cultural movement. Pop over to good ol Merriam Webster and look at the definition of a masculinist and feminist.

Basically a masculinist is a person that support male supremacy.
    A feminist is people that believe in equal rights.

How does that make sense? So the definition of a feminist is... just a normal person who thinks everyone is equal? So by definition all decent people are feminist.

dafuq?
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post

So by definition all decent people are feminist.

dafuq?
    In the same way that I'm a lesbian?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

stay safe.
    Charter member.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

stay safe.
    Lesbians like girls, I like girls too! Therefore I must be a lesbian too! lol
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_shadow View Post
    Lesbians like only girls, I like only girls too! Therefore I must be a lesbian too! lol
    FIFY. Just in case someone thinks there might otherwise be some ambiguity.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Just another perspective.

What is Willoughby reason for self defense? Did the boyfriend attack her? No mention that I read.

If he got the gun from her, would the lawyers feel he is no longer considered to be in fear for his life? Unless he was wounded to the point he felt he could not fight back - perhaps.
    I was born in Great Falls, Mt. My parents moved when I was 5. I found them when I was 9. They were in California.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    She was... to good too be true .... like charlie song about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GePHDjiHb8o

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_shadow View Post
    Lesbians like girls, I like girls too! Therefore I must be a lesbian too! lol
    You have to more than just "like them" so you may not be a lesbian after all ...
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 11-20-2014 at 08:28 PM.