Thread: Eugene Volokh on 'Simplistic' Second Amendment argument

Eugene Volokh on 'Simplistic' Second Amendment argument

[ More ... ] I assume, by the way, that such errors generally stem from some people’s tendency to try to use the fanciest versions of simple words they can find, as in “utilize” to mean simply “use.” That’s bad enough when the fancy word at least has the right definition, but often it leads people to use a fancy word with the wrong definition.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/v...comprehensive/

These I regard as eggcorns q.v. that make me look to see if the writer is bloviating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggcorn
    http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bloviate

I am a sustaining contributor to The Wikimedia Foundation
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    Should we have wrote the constitution in Latin?

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Should we have wrote the constitution in Latin?
    Good idea, but Greek rather than Latin, for Latin being too vulgar and people thinking they are a literate in Latin as English.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I have stopped worrying and fulminating at the various abuses the English language is put to, preferring to waste my time and energy getting someone to actually explain in understandable terms just what it is they mean. Unlike the French who are still fighting a rearguard action over the purity of their language, English was born and grew by appropriating, pillaging, pilfering and otherwise glomming on to any word it darned well wanted to, and often changing the meaning of that word as it did so.

It just leaves us to, ya know, kinda like agree, if you know what I mean, on what words or stuff are spozzed to mean.

Anybody that does not understand why the law is so full of Latin is welcome to attend a brief history lesson in two parts: How the Church saved civilization from the Dark Ages; and How the Church tried to save itself from itself. You are invited to come over [sic] my place to hear me declimate [sic] in connection to [sic] these notional ideas [sic] any day. I provide snacks but you will need to bring your own liquid refreshments.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

The constatwoshun say so...get it?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    I have stopped worrying and fulminating at the various abuses the English language is put to, preferring to waste my time and energy getting someone to actually explain in understandable terms just what it is they mean. Unlike the French who are still fighting a rearguard action over the purity of their language, English was born and grew by appropriating, pillaging, pilfering and otherwise glomming on to any word it darned well wanted to, and often changing the meaning of that word as it did so.

It just leaves us to, ya know, kinda like agree, if you know what I mean, on what words or stuff are spozzed to mean.

Anybody that does not understand why the law is so full of Latin is welcome to attend a brief history lesson in two parts: How the Church saved civilization from the Dark Ages; and How the Church tried to save itself from itself. You are invited to come over [sic] my place to hear me declimate [sic] in connection to [sic] these notional ideas [sic] any day. I provide snacks but you will need to bring your own liquid refreshments.

stay safe.
    BYOB huh? Should I pregame?
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    BYOB huh? Should I pregame?
    Someone in desperate need of the lecture actually signing up for it? Whoda thunk?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Someone in desperate need of the lecture actually signing up for it? Whoda thunk?

stay safe.
    Hey I know my faults. I can barely read or speak English never mind Latin. don't tell me YOUR (you're) going to bash. Don't blame me. Blame inner city schooling and below average intelligence.

Add: as dumb as you may think I am you'll never believe what I'm currently reading. Paradox - The Nine Greatest Enigmas In Physics by Jim Al-Khalili. Pretty good stuff.
    Last edited by Primus; 11-19-2014 at 11:51 AM.
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

I said you were ignorant, which you admit to.

As some great person once said: ignorance and virginity, unlike stupidity, can be cured.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

I said you were ignorant, which you admit to.

As some great person once said: ignorance and virginity, unlike stupidity, can be cured.

stay safe.
    Have any cite female friends? We can take care of both in one trip. Ha