• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry - Texas. Misguided Opponents' Comments

papabling

I've observed news and forum comments by some of the groups opposing Open Carry that don't make sense to me.

The shallow thinking of these people burn me. For instance, when the opponent is asked why they oppose OC, and they say something like, ...when I see someone openly carrying a gun, I have a safety concern because 'I don't know who they are', or, 'I don't know if they're trained', etc.' Think about it...What if the person was carrying concealed?

Would the opponent's safety still be in question? Notice that I didn't mention the name of any OC opponent group, but I've heard the head spokesperson of one group in Texas say this 'on the air' several times.

Life is getting better..

Rusty Young Man

It's the "head in the dirt" approach: if you can't see it, you can deceive yourself into thinking you live in a world of rainbows and fairies.
Why do you think so many times we hear or read "I never thought it could happen here." Why "could" (possiblity) instead of "would" (probability)? Because the same people that don't want to see a gun on a Law-Abiding Armed Citizen do so only because they'd rather ignore the entire criminal element of society rather than take effective measures towards their self-preservation.

stealthyeliminator

I've observed news and forum comments by some of the groups opposing Open Carry that don't make sense to me.

The shallow thinking of these people burn me. For instance, when the opponent is asked why they oppose OC, and they say something like, ...when I see someone openly carrying a gun, I have a safety concern because 'I don't know who they are', or, 'I don't know if they're trained', etc.' Think about it...What if the person was carrying concealed?

Would the opponent's safety still be in question? Notice that I didn't mention the name of any OC opponent group, but I've heard the head spokesperson of one group in Texas say this 'on the air' several times.

Life is getting better..

Yeah, I hear you. What's even worse is that the idiocies aren't limited to coming from strictly "anti-gun" people, but you'll hear the exact same rhetoric from the mouths of CHL instructors, etc. Big surprise, that someone who makes a living on the CHL program doesn't think unlicensed OC is a good idea... :rolleyes:

stealthyeliminator

It's the "head in the dirt" approach: if you can't see it, you can deceive yourself into thinking you live in a world of rainbows and fairies.
Why do you think so many times we hear or read "I never thought it could happen here." Why "could" (possiblity) instead of "would" (probability)? Because the same people that don't want to see a gun on a Law-Abiding Armed Citizen do so only because they'd rather ignore the entire criminal element of society rather than take effective measures towards their self-preservation.

Yuuuuuuup.

Jack House

Would can be just as bad. It leads to complacency. You feel safe and so you let your guard down. A lot of CHL holders carry only "in dangerous areas."

It's not just the ghettos you need to be wary of, **** can happen anywhere. Three guys tried to rob me in a Wal-Mart bathroom in an upper class area. I didn't have my gun because I was working. I bluffed my way out of the situation. But has they called my bluff or had weapons themselves...

People who say "that would never happen to me/here/whatever" are most likely to be the guys caught with their britches down.

qednick

Would can be just as bad. It leads to complacency. You feel safe and so you let your guard down. A lot of CHL holders carry only "in dangerous areas."

It's not just the ghettos you need to be wary of, **** can happen anywhere. Three guys tried to rob me in a Wal-Mart bathroom in an upper class area. I didn't have my gun because I was working. I bluffed my way out of the situation. But has they called my bluff or had weapons themselves...

People who say "that would never happen to me/here/whatever" are most likely to be the guys caught with their britches down.

I had some clown jump in my passenger seat just as I was leaving my office one day. I was CC'ing deep in my front pocket and quickly realized I was screwed if this situation turned bad since I was sat there with my seat belt on and pistol so deep in my front pocket it would have taken forever and a lot of fumbling to get to.
That's when I realized OC would be best since (1) the visual deterrent may have prevented him from getting in my car in the first place, and (2) far easier and quicker access.
Thankfully, I did also manage to talk him out the car. Think he was on drugs or something--and certainly not the brightest candle in the chandelier. Just goes to show though...bad sh*t only happens to other people...until it happens to you!

papabling

Open Carry, Licensed and/or Unlicensed for Handguns.

Yeah, I hear you. What's even worse is that the idiocies aren't limited to coming from strictly "anti-gun" people, but you'll hear the exact same rhetoric from the mouths of CHL instructors, etc. Big surprise, that someone who makes a living on the CHL program doesn't think unlicensed OC is a good idea... :rolleyes:

Yes, I hear the same thing, and I also hear about CHL instructors not renewing their Instructor Permits because Texas now requires training by the NRA to be certified CHL instructors (supposedly because the NRA gave money to some political groups associated with gun control advocates).

However some enterprises who are making money from CHL training are already diversified by offering classes and instruction on things like active-shooter, self defense, competitive shooting, etc., so they shouldn't be hurt too much financially by losing CHL customers.

Licensed and/or Unlicensed ? I can agree with some points of debate on both sides of 'licensed' vs. 'unlicensed' arguments. Going to CHL class, among other things, gets you some coaching on handling, safety, interpretation of laws, etc. and having the credentials helps interstate travel and purchasing.

Unlicensed carry, among other things, enables folks who get training elsewhere (or are already trained) and who want to avoid spending money on the class, to legally carry.

For me personally, until someone or something convinces me otherwise, I think both licensed and unlicensed carry for handguns should be the options favored by the lawmakers. I'm watching the open carry bills as they progress through the Texas legislature very closely, as I'm sure you are too. :lol:

Life is good!