Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: New around here

  1. #1
    Newbie LarryOKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Midwest City, OK
    Posts
    6

    Thumbs up New around here

    Just wanted to stop by to say hi. Hope everyone is staying warm and safe

    ~Larry

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,154
    LOL Welcome to OCDO.

    Yep, warm while its about 25°F outside on my safe Island.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  3. #3
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryOKC View Post
    Just wanted to stop by to say hi. Hope everyone is staying warm and safe

    ~Larry
    Do you OC, have an interest in OCing, or promoting the RKBA?

    Tell us a little about yourself.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 11-16-2014 at 08:39 PM. Reason: added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  4. #4
    Newbie LarryOKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Midwest City, OK
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Do you OC, have an interest in OCing, or promoting the RKBA?

    Tell us a little about yourself.
    I do have an interest in OCing. Me and my wife just turned in out SDA paper work. I had my lic in TX several years ago I let it expire when I moved back to OK a couple of years ago When my wife came to me and said she would like to get her carry permit we were both in the class that weekend. I am a people person by nature and I am also interest in taking some NRA instructor classes as I was a corporate instructor for over 10 years. I came here to see if there was any local meetups and to explore what was going on here in OKC..

    ~Larry

  5. #5
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryOKC View Post
    I do have an interest in OCing. Me and my wife just turned in out SDA paper work. I had my lic in TX several years ago I let it expire when I moved back to OK a couple of years ago When my wife came to me and said she would like to get her carry permit we were both in the class that weekend. I am a people person by nature and I am also interest in taking some NRA instructor classes as I was a corporate instructor for over 10 years. I came here to see if there was any local meetups and to explore what was going on here in OKC..

    ~Larry
    Great to have you on board. Lots of good information here and plenty of things happening. Enjoy.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  6. #6
    Newbie LarryOKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Midwest City, OK
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Great to have you on board. Lots of good information here and plenty of things happening. Enjoy.
    Thanks Grapeshot..

  7. #7
    Regular Member HPmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,597
    Larry didnt OK just pass OC w/o need for a license? Ive got my Tx CHL so i know i can OC when in OK.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    Larry didnt OK just pass OC w/o need for a license? Ive got my Tx CHL so i know i can OC when in OK.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oklahoma still requires a carry license. That license is good for conceal or open carry.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Robert318's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Choctaw, OK
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    Larry didnt OK just pass OC w/o need for a license? Ive got my Tx CHL so i know i can OC when in OK.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameiscolb View Post
    Oklahoma still requires a carry license. That license is good for conceal or open carry.
    With some exceptions.

    TITLE 21 § 1289.6 CONDITIONS UNDER WHICH FIREARMS MAY BE CARRIED

    A. A person shall be permitted to carry loaded or unloaded shotguns, rifles and pistols, open and not concealed, and without a handgun license as authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act pursuant to the following conditions:
    1. When hunting animals or fowl;
    2. During competition in or practicing in a safety or hunter safety class, target shooting, skeet, trap or other recognized sporting events;
    3. During participation in or in preparation for a military function of the state military forces to be defined as the Oklahoma Army or Air National Guard, Federal Military Reserve and active military forces;
    4. During participation in or in preparation for a recognized police function of either a municipal, county or state government as functioning police officials;
    5. During a practice for or a performance for entertainment purposes;
    6. For lawful self-defense and self-protection or any other legitimate purpose in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person; or
    7. For any legitimate purpose not in violation of the Oklahoma Firearms Act of 1971 or any legislative enactment regarding the use, ownership and control of firearms

    http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA...k_NOV_2014.pdf
    Stay safe and God bless.

    Everyone will hate you because of me.
    But not a hair of your head will perish.
    Stand firm, and you will win life.
    (Luke 21:17-19 NIV)

    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them.",
    "No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms."Thomas Jefferson

  10. #10
    Regular Member Glock 1st fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert318 View Post
    With some exceptions.

    TITLE 21 § 1289.6 CONDITIONS UNDER WHICH FIREARMS MAY BE CARRIED

    A. A person shall be permitted to carry loaded or unloaded shotguns, rifles and pistols, open and not concealed, and without a handgun license as authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act pursuant to the following conditions:
    1. When hunting animals or fowl;
    2. During competition in or practicing in a safety or hunter safety class, target shooting, skeet, trap or other recognized sporting events;
    3. During participation in or in preparation for a military function of the state military forces to be defined as the Oklahoma Army or Air National Guard, Federal Military Reserve and active military forces;
    4. During participation in or in preparation for a recognized police function of either a municipal, county or state government as functioning police officials;
    5. During a practice for or a performance for entertainment purposes;
    6. For lawful self-defense and self-protection or any other legitimate purpose in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person; or
    7. For any legitimate purpose not in violation of the Oklahoma Firearms Act of 1971 or any legislative enactment regarding the use, ownership and control of firearms

    http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA...k_NOV_2014.pdf
    Very true. Excellent post!
    Full Supporter of the second Amendment!

    Be careful seeking advice on Forums pertaining to law. Bad advice is often given from people who do not know or understand the law. Always read the law yourself and if you do not understand seek legal advice from a qualified legal expert. Following online advice can land you in legal trouble.

  11. #11
    Newbie LarryOKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Midwest City, OK
    Posts
    6
    So to clear up a question... Firearm can not be loaded while in a vehicle W/O SDA lic?


    Quote Originally Posted by Robert318 View Post
    With some exceptions.

    TITLE 21 § 1289.6 CONDITIONS UNDER WHICH FIREARMS MAY BE CARRIED

    A. A person shall be permitted to carry loaded or unloaded shotguns, rifles and pistols, open and not concealed, and without a handgun license as authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act pursuant to the following conditions:
    1. When hunting animals or fowl;
    2. During competition in or practicing in a safety or hunter safety class, target shooting, skeet, trap or other recognized sporting events;
    3. During participation in or in preparation for a military function of the state military forces to be defined as the Oklahoma Army or Air National Guard, Federal Military Reserve and active military forces;
    4. During participation in or in preparation for a recognized police function of either a municipal, county or state government as functioning police officials;
    5. During a practice for or a performance for entertainment purposes;
    6. For lawful self-defense and self-protection or any other legitimate purpose in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person; or
    7. For any legitimate purpose not in violation of the Oklahoma Firearms Act of 1971 or any legislative enactment regarding the use, ownership and control of firearms

    http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA...k_NOV_2014.pdf

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Moore, OK
    Posts
    744
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryOKC View Post
    So to clear up a question... Firearm can not be loaded while in a vehicle W/O SDA lic?
    Correct
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be accepted as legal advice

  13. #13
    Regular Member Glock 1st fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryOKC View Post
    So to clear up a question... Firearm can not be loaded while in a vehicle W/O SDA lic?
    There are exceptions. One is that if your in the vehicle with a licensed sda holder and you do nit have an sda These are covered in detail in the sda book.
    Last edited by Glock 1st fan; 11-20-2014 at 05:28 PM.
    Full Supporter of the second Amendment!

    Be careful seeking advice on Forums pertaining to law. Bad advice is often given from people who do not know or understand the law. Always read the law yourself and if you do not understand seek legal advice from a qualified legal expert. Following online advice can land you in legal trouble.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Moore, OK
    Posts
    744
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock 1st fan View Post
    There are exceptions. One is that if your in the vehicle with a licensed sda holder and you do nit have an sda These are covered in detail in the sda book.
    It is only my opinion, but I believe this statute just provides that the non-licensed individual cannot be charged with anything just because they are in the car with someone who has a license and is has a loaded firearm. I do not believe this allows the unlicensed person to carry a loaded firearm on the other person's license.

    The opinion of a lawyer on this particular interpretation would be a good thing.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be accepted as legal advice

  15. #15
    Regular Member Glock 1st fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by hrdware View Post
    It is only my opinion, but I believe this statute just provides that the non-licensed individual cannot be charged with anything just because they are in the car with someone who has a license and is has a loaded firearm. I do not believe this allows the unlicensed person to carry a loaded firearm on the other person's license.

    The opinion of a lawyer on this particular interpretation would be a good thing.
    Correct. But if you can not be charged for a crime then its not illegal. There are civil consequences that can arise however one can legally posses a load firearm while in the car with a permit holder. It does not entitle special priviledges either.

    While it does not entitle you to carry under the license its very clear you have to have that person who is licensed in the vehicle so in essence you are carrying under their license while in the vehicle.
    Last edited by Glock 1st fan; 11-21-2014 at 06:34 PM.
    Full Supporter of the second Amendment!

    Be careful seeking advice on Forums pertaining to law. Bad advice is often given from people who do not know or understand the law. Always read the law yourself and if you do not understand seek legal advice from a qualified legal expert. Following online advice can land you in legal trouble.

  16. #16
    Regular Member Robert318's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Choctaw, OK
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryOKC View Post
    So to clear up a question... Firearm can not be loaded while in a vehicle W/O SDA lic?
    From My understanding without a license the gun (handgun) has to be in a case designed for carrying a firearm and be wholly or partially visable and that the weapon has to be unloaded but doesn't clearly say the magazine cant be loaded and in the same case.

    And if one is caught committing no otger crime than carrying a loaded firearm then there is no duty for an officer to confiscate and is only a 70$ ticket/fine plus court costs. But there is some gray around that to me as the section 1289.13 says punsihable by 1289.15 which has a potential for a bigger fine and potential jail time. So I would consult an attorney for clarification.

    TITLE 21 § 1289.7 FIREARMS IN VEHICLES
    Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle, shotgun or pistol, open and unloaded, at any time. For purposes of this section “open” means the firearm is transported in plain view, in a case designed for carrying firearms, which case is wholly or partially visible, in a gun rack mounted in the vehicle, in an exterior locked compartment or a trunk of a vehicle.
    Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle or shotgun concealed behind a seat of the vehicle or within the interior of the vehicle provided the rifle or shotgun is not clip, magazine or chamber loaded. The authority to transport a clip or magazine loaded rifle or shotgun shall be pursuant to Section 1289.13 of this title.
    Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry a handgun, concealed or unconcealed, and is carrying a handgun or has the handgun in such vehicle, shall not be deemed in violation of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the vehicle.

    TITLE 21 § 1289.13 TRANSPORTING A LOADED FIREARM
    Except as otherwise provided by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or another provision of law, it shall be unlawful to transport a loaded pistol, rifle or shotgun in a land borne motor vehicle over a public highway or roadway. However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior compartment of the vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.
    Any person convicted of a violation of this section shall be punished as provided in Section 1289.15 of this title.
    Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry a handgun, concealed or unconcealed, and is carrying a handgun or has a handgun or rifle or shotgun in such vehicle shall not be deemed in violation of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the vehicle.

    TITLE 21 § 1289.13A IMPROPER TRANSPORTATION OF FIREARM
    A. Notwithstanding the provisions of 1272 or 1289.13 of this title, any person stopped pursuant to a moving traffic violation who is transporting a loaded pistol in the motor vehicle without a valid handgun license authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or valid license from another state, whether the loaded firearm is concealed or unconcealed in the vehicle, shall be issued a traffic citation in the amount of Seventy Dollars ($70.00), plus court costs for transporting a firearm improperly. In addition to the traffic citation provided in this section, the person may also be arrested for any other violation of law.
    B. When the arresting officer determines that a valid handgun license exists, pursuant to the Oklahoma Self- Defense Act or any provision of law from another state, for any person in the stopped vehicle, any firearms permitted to be carried pursuant to that license shall not be confiscated, unless:
    1. The person is arrested for violating another provision of law other than a violation of subsection A of this section; provided, however, if the person is never charged with an offense pursuant to this paragraph or if the charges are dismissed or the person is acquitted, the weapon shall be returned to the person; or
    2. The officer has probable cause to believe the weapon is:
    a. contraband, or
    b. a firearm used in the commission of a crime other than a violation of subsection A of this section.
    C. Nothing in this section shall be construed to require confiscation of any firearm.

    TITLE 21 § 1289.15 PENALTY FOR FIREARMS ACT OF 1971
    Any person adjudged guilty of violating any provision of Section 1289.9, 1289.10, 1289.11, 1289.12 or 1289.13 of this title shall, upon conviction, be punished by a fine of not less than Fifty Dollars ($50.00) nor more than Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00), or imprisonment in the county jail for not less than ten (10) days nor more than six (6) months, or by both such fine and imprisonment.
    Last edited by Robert318; 11-24-2014 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Added 1289.7 Firearms in vehicles
    Stay safe and God bless.

    Everyone will hate you because of me.
    But not a hair of your head will perish.
    Stand firm, and you will win life.
    (Luke 21:17-19 NIV)

    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them.",
    "No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms."Thomas Jefferson

  17. #17
    Regular Member Glock 1st fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert318 View Post
    From My understanding without a license the gun (handgun) has to be in a case designed for carrying a firearm and be wholly or partially visable and that the weapon has to be unloaded but doesn't clearly say the magazine cant be loaded and in the same case.

    And if one is caught committing no otger crime than carrying a loaded firearm then there is no duty for an officer to confiscate and is only a 70$ ticket/fine plus court costs. But there is some gray around that to me as the section 1289.13 says punsihable by 1289.15 which has a potential for a bigger fine and potential jail time. So I would consult an attorney for clarification.

    TITLE 21 § 1289.13 TRANSPORTING A LOADED FIREARM
    Except as otherwise provided by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or another provision of law, it shall be unlawful to transport a loaded pistol, rifle or shotgun in a land borne motor vehicle over a public highway or roadway. However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior compartment of the vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.
    Any person convicted of a violation of this section shall be punished as provided in Section 1289.15 of this title.
    Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry a handgun, concealed or unconcealed, and is carrying a handgun or has a handgun or rifle or shotgun in such vehicle shall not be deemed in violation of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the vehicle.

    TITLE 21 § 1289.13A IMPROPER TRANSPORTATION OF FIREARM
    A. Notwithstanding the provisions of 1272 or 1289.13 of this title, any person stopped pursuant to a moving traffic violation who is transporting a loaded pistol in the motor vehicle without a valid handgun license authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or valid license from another state, whether the loaded firearm is concealed or unconcealed in the vehicle, shall be issued a traffic citation in the amount of Seventy Dollars ($70.00), plus court costs for transporting a firearm improperly. In addition to the traffic citation provided in this section, the person may also be arrested for any other violation of law.
    B. When the arresting officer determines that a valid handgun license exists, pursuant to the Oklahoma Self- Defense Act or any provision of law from another state, for any person in the stopped vehicle, any firearms permitted to be carried pursuant to that license shall not be confiscated, unless:
    1. The person is arrested for violating another provision of law other than a violation of subsection A of this section; provided, however, if the person is never charged with an offense pursuant to this paragraph or if the charges are dismissed or the person is acquitted, the weapon shall be returned to the person; or
    2. The officer has probable cause to believe the weapon is:
    a. contraband, or
    b. a firearm used in the commission of a crime other than a violation of subsection A of this section.
    C. Nothing in this section shall be construed to require confiscation of any firearm.

    TITLE 21 § 1289.15 PENALTY FOR FIREARMS ACT OF 1971
    Any person adjudged guilty of violating any provision of Section 1289.9, 1289.10, 1289.11, 1289.12 or 1289.13 of this title shall, upon conviction, be punished by a fine of not less than Fifty Dollars ($50.00) nor more than Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00), or imprisonment in the county jail for not less than ten (10) days nor more than six (6) months, or by both such fine and imprisonment.
    Excellent Post. I was going to post this the other day but I simply did not have time. Thank you!
    Full Supporter of the second Amendment!

    Be careful seeking advice on Forums pertaining to law. Bad advice is often given from people who do not know or understand the law. Always read the law yourself and if you do not understand seek legal advice from a qualified legal expert. Following online advice can land you in legal trouble.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •