Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Nevada Accepting All States Medical Marijuana Cards

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    40

    Nevada Accepting All States Medical Marijuana Cards

    I did some searching (not much admittedly) but I understand that there is a proposal for Nevada to accept medical marijuana cards from all states.

    I find it interesting that the state will allow this but won't recognize CFP or CCW from all states.

    Has anyone else heard of this proposal? Maybe I am being a bit sensitive but this just rubs me the wrong way.
    Dave
    "...when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."
    "If God himself asked me to carry a Glock I'd consider casting my lot with Satan"

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleigh View Post
    ...I find it interesting that the state will allow this but won't recognize CFP or CCW from all states...
    Well, technically, we will recognize a permit from any state whose standards for qualifying for such are at least as stringent as our own.

    I've no idea how medical marijuana cards are regulated in any state. Also, NEVER expect laws to be consistent anyway.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Northern Nevada
    Posts
    110
    the difference is that 2A is a federal fundamental right, so states infringe it, and marijuana is federally illegal, so states allow it.
    It's all about ******* on the federal government. No wonder why the federal government is in a constant power grab.

  4. #4
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyray9 View Post
    the difference is that 2A is a federal fundamental right, so states infringe it, and marijuana is federally illegal, so states allow it.
    It's all about ******* on the federal government. No wonder why the federal government is in a constant power grab.
    The 2nd Amendment is a restriction on the government re RKBA. It does not create that right, it affirms it and says "hands off."
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Northern Nevada
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    The 2nd Amendment is a restriction on the government re RKBA. It does not create that right, it affirms it and says "hands off."
    correcting "federal fundamental right" with "restriction on the government re RKBA" is insulting to me, as they mean exactly the same thing. I see you failed to bold "fundamental" in my quote just for the sake of bolstering your unnecessary argument. The bill of rights, including the second amendment, was ratified by our federal representatives 15 years after the country was founded. Whether we like it or not, the second amendment is federal law, not divine law. Yes, it's there to protect us from a tyrannical government, I never said it wasn't, but 3/4 of the house, 2/3 of the senate, and a president is all the anti-gunners need to make that amendment magically null and void, and just one or two more ultra-liberal supreme court justices will have the same effect through their right to "interpret" the constitution.

  6. #6
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyray9 View Post
    correcting "federal fundamental right" with "restriction on the government re RKBA" is insulting to me, as they mean exactly the same thing. I see you failed to bold "fundamental" in my quote just for the sake of bolstering your unnecessary argument. The bill of rights, including the second amendment, was ratified by our federal representatives 15 years after the country was founded. Whether we like it or not, the second amendment is federal law, not divine law. Yes, it's there to protect us from a tyrannical government, I never said it wasn't, but 3/4 of the house, 2/3 of the senate, and a president is all the anti-gunners need to make that amendment magically null and void, and just one or two more ultra-liberal supreme court justices will have the same effect through their right to "interpret" the constitution.
    Really? You think I'm insulting you? Do you accuse me of breaking a Forum Rule?

    More is the shame you miss the point. My reply was as much about informing those less knowledgeable as it was about clarifying your statement. If asked I hold, as do most here, that the RKBA is a natural/divine/fundamental right, and that it did not begin with the BoR. The 2nd Amendment creates nothing we did not already have.

    Whatever modifiers you use, the 2A is not a federal right. Again - it is a restriction on the government.

    BTW - our Constitution can also be altered or amended by a Constitutional Convention, which I vehemently oppose.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 11-20-2014 at 06:59 AM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  7. #7
    Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    2,489
    It is a silly argument since the RKBA as a fundamental/divine/natural (depending on your spiritual position) right is a belief not a fact. A belief I happen to share but that's beside the point.
    You may believe you have a right but in practice you have no rights outside what is granted by the government.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

    We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

  8. #8
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613

    Fact not fiction

    http://truthstreammedia.com/the-bill...t-us-anything/

    http://www.reviewjournal.com/opinion...lly-challenged

    The Bill of Rights was understood, at its ratification, to be a bar on the actions of the federal government. Many people today find this to be an incredible fact.
    http://www.usconstitution.net/consttop_bor.html
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 11-20-2014 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Fixed
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Northern Nevada
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Really? You think I'm insulting you? Do you accuse me of breaking a Forum Rule?
    I was insulted because I felt that you initiated an unnecessary semantic argument by correcting me. I don't think that constitutes an accusation of breaking forum rules, and I made no allegations of such.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    More is the shame you miss the point. My reply was as much about informing those less knowledgeable as it was about clarifying your statement. If asked I hold, as do most here, that the RKBA is a natural/divine/fundamental right, and that it did not begin with the BoR. The 2nd Amendment creates nothing we did not already have.

    Whatever modifiers you use, the 2A is not a federal right. Again - it is a restriction on the government.
    I understand your argument as being metaphysical. A human has the right to pick up and own something. I agree with that, but my argument is pragmatic. Sure, a human can physically pick up something, sure a human can physically own something, but social factors can cause punishments for those actions. It is a metaphysical right for someone in Mexico to own a gun, but pragmatically speaking it is not going to result in anything good if the federales find out about it. This is because no matter where you are, you live under a system of government that makes up its own rules and has the power to change them. The "restriction on the government" is a law, and it's a law that works for the people not against it, so it's a right granted by the federal government so that no state under the federal government can take that right away.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    BTW - our Constitution can also be altered or amended by a Constitutional Convention, which I vehemently oppose.
    true, and that sucks.

    Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    It is a silly argument since the RKBA as a fundamental/divine/natural (depending on your spiritual position) right is a belief not a fact. A belief I happen to share but that's beside the point.
    You may believe you have a right but in practice you have no rights outside what is granted by the government.
    Agreed
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    The Bill of Rights was understood, at its ratification, to be a bar on the actions of the federal government. Many people today find this to be an incredible fact.
    I agree, but not only the federal government; the state governments too. Federal law trumps state law. The right to bear arms is a law just like the right to freedom of speech. If a state bans guns entirely and begin enforcing a gun ban, they have violated the law and the people can have their grievances brought up before a federal court. If a state bans preaching your beliefs on the street, the state is breaking the law and the people have the same right to a redress of grievances.

    If the federal government disappeared, the US Constitution would disappear with it. Now this wouldn't really affect Nevada because its constitution is so similar to the US bill of rights, but if you look at california's constitution, they have no right to bear arms, and any dissolution of the federal government would probably result in an enforceable gun ban in california. A man caught with owning a gun there would be treated the same as a man who was speeding. there would be a charge, no federal law (which is all a US constitutional amendment is) on the books that conflicts it so no appeal, and no federal court to take it to saying that his rights have been violated. All he can do is write his state congressman.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    The 2nd Amendment is a restriction on the government re RKBA. It does not create that right, it affirms it and says "hands off."
    Like the first amendment !

    My cat understands but those others who must have drank all the stupid-virus-water will never understand. Beyond their comprehension.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 11-20-2014 at 01:37 PM.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Well, technically, we will recognize a permit from any state whose standards for qualifying for such are at least as stringent as our own.

    I've no idea how medical marijuana cards are regulated in any state. Also, NEVER expect laws to be consistent anyway.
    This mean they'll accept crystal meth cards too? I don't think so...only wishful thinking.

  12. #12
    Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    2,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    http://truthstreammedia.com/the-bill...t-us-anything/

    http://www.reviewjournal.com/opinion...lly-challenged

    The Bill of Rights was understood, at its ratification, to be a bar on the actions of the federal government. Many people today find this to be an incredible fact.
    http://www.usconstitution.net/consttop_bor.html
    I liked the links. But the first article makes my point:

    "We have these unalienable rights because we are free human beings. Unalienable, in a legal sense, means these rights cannot be transferred and are not subject to man-made law; in other words, they cannot be infringed upon."
    Then a paragraph later:
    "We no longer have the right to peaceably assemble or petition the government for a redress of grievances."

    So if you have these rights given by nature how can you then say you no longer have them?
    Because the government took them. Took what cannot be taken lol.
    Like I said it's a belief not fact. And it's based mainly on morality. Just like some people used to have the right to own other people. Was that a natural right? Nah just a government granted one since we now believe it's immoral. The right to kill someone trying to kill you? Yeah that's a divine right because it's BELIEVED to be moral.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

    We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    40
    It is pretty clear that the Fed will keep taking our rights until we don't let them take anymore.
    That is the path of every government system in the history of the World, our current government is no exception...
    Last edited by Raleigh; 11-21-2014 at 01:52 AM.
    Dave
    "...when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."
    "If God himself asked me to carry a Glock I'd consider casting my lot with Satan"

  14. #14
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950
    The bill of rights in the U.S. Constitution enumerate those rights that the founders believed to be the most likely to be trampled on by Federal and state governments. It also mentions that there are other fundamental rights not written down, but none the less reserved by the people. Fundamental in this regard meaning God given or natural rights.

    The states, by joining the union, and ratifying the Constitution, agreed to live by it. By extension the political subdivisions of the state, county and municipal governments are bound by it as well.

    Federal law only trumps state law in those powers that are directly granted to the federal government by the Constitution, all others being reserved to the states and the people. All of those powers are enumerated within the Constitution. As an example, nowhere in the Constitution does it mention the regulation of smoking material. Federal law does not trump State Constitutions either.

    Now, realistically, the only rights we have are those we are willing to defend. The right to defend our rights is one of those non-enumerated rights the Bill of Rights was talking about I believe.

    TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas,NV
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Well, technically, we will recognize a permit from any state whose standards for qualifying for such are at least as stringent as our own.

    I've no idea how medical marijuana cards are regulated in any state. Also, NEVER expect laws to be consistent anyway.
    While Nevada will initially honor all MJ permits, I think Nevada will start weeding out other states' permits after Nevada discovers that certain other states don't require actual toking practice before issuing the permits to their residents.
    Last edited by ed2276; 11-23-2014 at 09:11 PM.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    I'd be satisfied if there were any proof that one doesn't have to have actual toking practice before taking a seat in the Nevada Legislature.

  17. #17
    Regular Member turborich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    175
    All of this "medical marijuana" is a bunch of crap! Just a bunch of stoners who claim to have sleeping issues or some other made up condition. A very small percentage may actually use it for medical reasons.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by turborich View Post
    All of this "medical marijuana" is a bunch of crap! Just a bunch of stoners who claim to have sleeping issues or some other made up condition. A very small percentage may actually use it for medical reasons.
    Agreed, and you got my point! Everyone who carries does it primarily for self defense, a Constitutional Right, most people with "Pot Cards" just want to get high...
    Dave
    "...when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."
    "If God himself asked me to carry a Glock I'd consider casting my lot with Satan"

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    I think allowing dope use is a Good Thing -- ANY decrease in the power of government over the rights of the citizen is a Good Thing!

  20. #20
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950
    You are only truly free when you have the right to fail, and or be an idiot...

    TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

  21. #21
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by turborich View Post
    All of this "medical marijuana" is a bunch of crap! Just a bunch of stoners who claim to have sleeping issues or some other made up condition. A very small percentage may actually use it for medical reasons.
    Alcohol is only used for medicinal purposes as well...
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by turborich View Post
    All of this "medical marijuana" is a bunch of crap! Just a bunch of stoners who claim to have sleeping issues or some other made up condition. A very small percentage may actually use it for medical reasons.
    I have spoken to people in states that only allow it for medical purposes. When I ask what was their medical condition that required them to use weed, they cannot remember.

    Proof that medical weed has amazing effects - curing people so well so that they cannot even remember or have symptoms of the original condition!

    Really, want to shove heroin into your body? Have at it dude, its your own body.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •