• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry at St. Clair County Community College?

Small_Arms_Collector

I attend SC4, but I can't carry there do to their illegal policy banning carry because I don't want to get expelled, however, yesterday my English professor starts class with an announcement that certain students have been lobbying that the policy be amended to allow for Open Carry. I had planned to raise the issue myself next semester, but it appears someone may have beaten me to it. Is it someone here? If so I would like to get together to coordinate.

jrj_51

Small world, I'm sitting in the CEM Building right now. I would like to know who it is as well. This is the first I've heard of it.

Last edited:

Michigander

The wording of the community colleges act essentially gives the board sweeping unconstitutional power, so preemption does not apply. Your options essentially involve a very long and costly court battle or trying to convince the board to obey the constitution. Success is unlikely either way, but good luck just the same.

Last edited:

Small_Arms_Collector

The wording of the community colleges act essentially gives the board sweeping unconstitutional power, so preemption does not apply. Your options essentially involve a very long and costly court battle or trying to convince the board to obey the constitution. Success is unlikely either way, but good luck just the same.

Cite? I have only heard of the big three being exempt.

jrj_51

I've got a bit of a break from 1:15-2:00 tomorrow. If not, Mon I have a big break around noon.

Evil Creamsicle

Michigander

EC, and others who have it, its in my book in appendix a. If someone is in the mood, pull it up. Not gonna bother right now on my phone.

Small_Arms_Collector

EC, and others who have it, its in my book in appendix a. If someone is in the mood, pull it up. Not gonna bother right now on my phone.

Not what I'm seeing:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(ig42ci55p5xtmevp1kzpyy45))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-18-1115

MCL 18.1115:

Sec. 115.

(1) "Institution of higher education" or "university" means a state supported 4-year college or university.

(2) "JCOS" means the joint capital outlay subcommittee of the appropriations committees.

(3) Except as used in sections 284 to 292, "record" means a public record as defined in section 2 of the freedom of information act, 1976 PA 442, MCL 15.232.

(4) "State agency" means a department, board, commission, office, agency, authority, or other unit of state government. State agency does not include an institution of higher education or a community college or, for purposes of article 2 or 3, the legislative branch of government. For purposes of article 2 or 3, except for those sections pertaining to the authorization, planning, construction, and funding of a capital outlay project, including construction of a facility to house offices or functions necessary for operation of the judicial branch of government, state agency does not include the judicial branch of government.

(5) "Unit of local government" means a political subdivision of this state, including school districts, community college districts, intermediate school districts, cities, villages, townships, counties, and authorities, if the political subdivision has as its primary purpose the providing of local governmental service for citizens in a geographically limited area of the state and has the power to act primarily on behalf of that area.

Now check MCL 123.1102

Evil Creamsicle

I've got it here

Open Carry Michigan Handbook - Second Edition | Appendix A said:
EXHIBIT 9 A COMMUNITY COLLEGES ACT
Community Colleges Act. Act 331 of 1966
MCL 389.125 Board of trustees; payment of claims against community college district; gifts; bylaws.
Sec. 125.
The board of trustees may:

(a) Certify to the treasurer of the community college district for payment out of the funds thereof all claims and demands against the board or community college district, which shall be allowed by the board under rules and regulations it may establish.

(b) Borrow money or other property and accept contributions, capital grants, gifts, donations, services or other financial assistance from the United States of America or any agency or instrumentality thereof.

(c) Accept by gift or devise private property. They may accept from any county, township or other governmental unit any contribution authorized by its governing body as provided in sections 791 to 795 of Act No. 269 of the Public Acts of 1955, as amended, being sections 340.791 to 340.795 of the Compiled Laws of 1948. They shall likewise be entitled to receive from the state all grants of state aid, in the same manner and proportion, as any other community college.

(d) Adopt bylaws, rules and regulations for its own government and for the control and government of the community college district.

(e) Acquire and hold in the name of the district all real property and improvements acquired and erected under the provisions of this act.

(f) To do all other things in its judgment necessary for the proper establishment, maintenance, management and carrying on of the community college.