• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I-594 Prompts Museum to Return Guns

Difdi

What part does mere possession violate? Its a museum. So I'm assuming the guns are just sitting there. There is no transferring or passing around.

Mere possession? No violation. I-594 only criminalizes transfers without background checks. But you're incorrect about no transfers occurring. Under the definition of transfer found in I-594, a transfer occurs when possession changes, not just ownership. Courts have ruled in the past that access can equal possession. Everyone who has keys to any display case containing a firearm probably has possession. When the keys change hands, so does possession. Every time a transfer occurs, there must be a background check or it's a gross misdemeanor the first time and felonies every time after that.

Every employee of the museum, from the director down to every janitor must pass a background check to be able to have access to the guns every time they gain or lose access, not just once upon being hired. Anyone employed by the museum who wouldn't be able to pass such a background check would have to lose their job or go to jail.

If a display case is accidentally broken, everyone in the room potentially has possession dropped on them. Whether they want it or not. And don't forget, it's not just the person 'giving' the gun who breaks the law, but also the person receiving the transfer.

Are you referring to the fact the guns are on loan from private collectors? Is it that someone would be afraid by returning the loaned gun they would need to do a background check on the actually owner/loaner to get his own guns back?

Since I-594 redefines a transfer from change of ownership of a firearm to change of possession or ownership of a firearm, the museum would be unable to return the displayed guns to their owners after I-594 takes effect without the owners passing a background check. If they failed to pass the check for any reason (including clerical error) the museum would have to effectively steal the guns from the owners or outright purchase them (with the owners unable to refuse) -- the former is a class B felony, the latter would require that the museum pass a background check. How exactly you would have a business pass such a check is problematic, and the logical solution brings us back to everyone in the organization having to pass a background check or lose their job.

Since either one of those situations would discourage anyone from loaning anything to the museum in the future, the museum is taking steps to prevent the situations from arising. And the public loses in the end because we lose a museum exhibit six months ahead of schedule.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Seattle police officer James Ritter, who founded the Seattle Metropolitan Police Museum, said he doubted that returning a gun to its rightful owner would be considered a "transfer" under the law. Regardless, he said it was exceptionally unlikely that investigators would target museum exhibits for prosecution.
Since he's a cop, it doesn't matter to him that he's wrong about what a "transfer" is. But he's right about one thing: the cops absolutely will decide for themselves who to target for enforcement. And that is more wrong than the law itself.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Since he's a cop, it doesn't matter to him that he's wrong about what a "transfer" is. But he's right about one thing: the cops absolutely will decide for themselves who to target for enforcement. And that is more wrong than the law itself.

+1

Minorities and low income will suffer the consequences of this rule more than anyone else.

Dave_pro2a

+1

Minorities and low income will suffer the consequences of this rule more than anyone else.

The system if full of racism, classicism, sexism, and a general animosity toward mere 'civilians.'

Unfortunately, it means we'll get an over correction in the worse way when whites become a minority. It'll be well deserved, but just as wrong.

Lammo

Ok OC I'll try with you instead.

What part does mere possession violate? Its a museum. So I'm assuming the guns are just sitting there. There is no transferring or passing around.

I'll put it in plain English. You cannot have possession of a firearm without there having been a transfer. Since transfer has been intentionally defined in the broadest possible terms, anyone who has taken possession of any firearm from any source without submitting to a background check, except in the case of the nearly impossible to comply with exemptions, needs to be concerned.

Jeff Hayes

I'll put it in plain English. You cannot have possession of a firearm without there having been a transfer. Since transfer has been intentionally defined in the broadest possible terms, anyone who has taken possession of any firearm from any source without submitting to a background check, except in the case of the nearly impossible to comply with exemptions, needs to be concerned.

It is already in plain English, some simply refuse to understand it.