• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry ANYWHERE with a CCW. School, church, police station, etc.

EyeDreamt

571.107. 2 says "Carrying of a concealed firearm in a location specified in subdivisions (1) to (17) of subsection 1 of this section by any individual who holds a concealed carry permit..."

Says nothing about OC. So the penalty for OC in a place you can't could be MUCH more severe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
571.107. 2 says "Carrying of a concealed firearm in a location specified in subdivisions (1) to (17) of subsection 1 of this section by any individual who holds a concealed carry permit..."

Says nothing about OC. So the penalty for OC in a place you can't could be MUCH more severe.

Generally the absence of reference (in this case not concealed/OC) means that that issue is not in violation. Might have to hash that out in court though.

nrs2420

True, I'll admit I don't know much about OCing. I was just putting this info out there since Grizzly25 also said CC in his post when asking about fines.

Jared

Yes, you are correct. You can open carry in all the places that were formally prohibited for concealed carry with a CCW as per 571.030

The day SB 656, I called my friend in St. Louis and told him about this.

If you guys push it, which you should. Get ready for years and years of battles. This is what we deal with in Michigan. I do recommend pushing the ability to openly carry in schools. The law now allows it.

xd shooter

Forgive me for going a bit off topic (though it was brought up earlier), I'm curious about the no holster thing at the range.

I'm in Michigan, so if that makes a difference, but I've been to numerous ranges, shooting IDPA most times, but not always, and I've never run across any place that didn't allow the use of a holster..

Please explain the rationale....