Thread: Fireworks are "firearms" but are exempt from background checks.

Fireworks are "firearms" but are exempt from background checks.

Fireworks fall under the definition of a "firearm" but will not require background checks. Current law will block the I-594 background check from being applied to the types of "firearms" known as "fireworks".

RCW 9.41.320 reads:

"Nothing in this chapter shall prohibit the possession, sale, or use of fireworks when possessed, sold, or used in compliance with chapter 70.77 RCW."
    A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.- Thomas Jefferson March 4 1801

Quote Originally Posted by END_THE_FED View Post
    Fireworks fall under the definition of a "firearm" but will not require background checks. Current law will block the I-594 background check from being applied to the types of "firearms" known as "fireworks".

RCW 9.41.320 reads:

"Nothing in this chapter shall prohibit the possession, sale, or use of fireworks when possessed, sold, or used in compliance with chapter 70.77 RCW."
    If they had to write in a specific exemption for fireworks, that kinda sorta (totally) explains intent.

Anything with gunpowder. Anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_pro2a View Post
    If they had to write in a specific exemption for fireworks, that kinda sorta (totally) explains intent.

Anything with gunpowder. Anything.

The firework exemption is current law, it pre-dates I-594.
    A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.- Thomas Jefferson March 4 1801

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    However I-594 is an amendment and addition to RCW 9.41. When I-594 takes effect as law, it will be incorporated into RCW 9.41 and the fireworks exception will still stand as well as the fact that certain, if not most, fireworks fall under the definition of firearm in both the existing RCW and new sections of RCW amended/created by I-594.
    Exactly.

So it seems we can not use the firework issue to attack I-594. We still however have the issue of powder driven nail guns and other "devises".

Banned
    So my 357 is just a fancy firework?