• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fireworks are "firearms" but are exempt from background checks.

END_THE_FED

Fireworks fall under the definition of a "firearm" but will not require background checks. Current law will block the I-594 background check from being applied to the types of "firearms" known as "fireworks".

RCW 9.41.320 reads:

"Nothing in this chapter shall prohibit the possession, sale, or use of fireworks when possessed, sold, or used in compliance with chapter 70.77 RCW."

Dave_pro2a

Fireworks fall under the definition of a "firearm" but will not require background checks. Current law will block the I-594 background check from being applied to the types of "firearms" known as "fireworks".

RCW 9.41.320 reads:

"Nothing in this chapter shall prohibit the possession, sale, or use of fireworks when possessed, sold, or used in compliance with chapter 70.77 RCW."

If they had to write in a specific exemption for fireworks, that kinda sorta (totally) explains intent.

Anything with gunpowder. Anything.

END_THE_FED

However I-594 is an amendment and addition to RCW 9.41. When I-594 takes effect as law, it will be incorporated into RCW 9.41 and the fireworks exception will still stand as well as the fact that certain, if not most, fireworks fall under the definition of firearm in both the existing RCW and new sections of RCW amended/created by I-594.

Exactly.

So it seems we can not use the firework issue to attack I-594. We still however have the issue of powder driven nail guns and other "devises".