• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in wilmington

est1988

Happy holidays to everyone, New to the forum.

I bought a pistol from a private owner and I have the bill of sale. Do I need to get that notarized? I recently got my Purchase Permit, just to have. I'm afraid that i'll get profiled and harassed. I been reading up the laws so my knowledge is limited.

Sidenote: new updates on blackfriday OC? I saw an old thread on it

est1988

Ok thanks! And transporting it? I know it has to be visible, someone told me cops might try to get you if it's on your seat and not the dash. I figure the trunk would less of a hassle

WalkingWolf

Ok thanks! And transporting it? I know it has to be visible, someone told me cops might try to get you if it's on your seat and not the dash. I figure the trunk would less of a hassle

It should be fine on your seat as long as it is not covered by any object. The problem I have with putting it on the seat is if you stop suddenly, then the firearm goes flying onto the floor. Might damage the gun, and may possibly be considered concealed on the floorboard or if it slides under the seat.

If my sidearm is not on me I will use the gun belt to fasten the gun and holster to the seat where it can be clearly seen.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Any regulation on caliber size? I have a .45 minimax
No restriction as to caliber.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_North_Carolina

Chapel Hill does have an ordinance as to minimum physical size:

http://Sec. 11-134. - Prohibition on display of small handguns.
(a) No person shall display, on any street, sidewalk, alley or other public property any handgun which is easily and ordinarily carried concealed.

(b) For purposes of this article, the term "handgun which is easily and ordinarily carried concealed" shall mean any handgun or other firearm with an overall length of less than six (6) inches; provided, however, that in the case of a handgun or firearm that does not have a handgrip, this term shall mean any such handgun or firearm with an overall length of less than eight (8) inches.

(c) For purposes of this article, the length of a handgun shall be determined as follows:
(1) As the length of a line drawn from the tip of the barrel of the handgun along the length of the barrel to the point where that line intersects with a perpendicular line drawn up from the point on the back of the handgrip farthest from the tip of the barrel; or,

(2) If the length of the handgun measured along the barrel extends back beyond the point where the lines described in (c)(1) above intersect, the length shall be determined by the length of the gun measured straight back from the tip of the barrel for the full length of the gun; or

(3) If the handgun does not have a handgrip, the length shall be determined by measuring the overall length of the weapon by a straight line connecting the tip of the barrel to the point farthest away from the tip of the barrel.

(d) This section shall not apply to persons authorized by state or federal law to carry firearms in the performance of their duties. (Ord. No. 93-11-22/O-1, § 1)

More detail following:
http://www.carolinashootersclub.com...c-open-carry-pistol-size-restrictions.102168/

bc.cruiser

Happy holidays to everyone, New to the forum.

I bought a pistol from a private owner and I have the bill of sale. Do I need to get that notarized? I recently got my Purchase Permit, just to have. I'm afraid that i'll get profiled and harassed. I been reading up the laws so my knowledge is limited.

Sidenote: new updates on blackfriday OC? I saw an old thread on it

If you did not have the PPP prior to buying the handgun, you were illegal. NCGS 14-402.

Notarizing after the fact is a no-go; a notary must see a signature being made to notarize it.

Follow dmatting's advice.

Stick around, pay attention, ask questions, confirm the answers yourself with the general statutes. The advantage of this forum is the requirement to post cites (where information was obtained).