Thread: Michigan School District Plans “Lockdown” on Open Carry Parents

Michigan School District Plans “Lockdown” on Open Carry Parents

Michigan School District Plans “Lockdown” on Open Carry Parents

A Michigan School district plans to call police and put schools into “lockdown” mode whenever anyone legally open carries a handgun into school property.

(snip)

Rob Harris, a member of the Michigan Open Carry, Inc., board of directors, was quoted as saying, “The policy to do a lockdown every time a parent open carries in school seems awfully disruptive to me. You’re going to call the police every single day, on a parent you know is lawful?”

For full article:

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/11/07...kly+Newsletter

They are bluffing. It may work, it may not? My bet is on the latter. Remember these are the same people who whole heartedly believe to their very core that: school policy is above all laws, even the Constitution.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Banned
    We have too many police .... clearly.

Get ready to not only defend yourself (in court) for trespassing, but also disturbing the peace, causing alarm, etc, etc.

I have a feeling this is a decision made by people higher than the school board to once again use the children as a lever against lawful people. Sickening.
    Last edited by Tucker6900; 11-21-2014 at 08:59 AM. Reason: I suck at spelling, or my fat fingers cant hit the right letters on my phone.
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    This includes putting the building into “lockdown status” and immediately calling 9-1-1
    hopefully charging the person who did with wasting police time. I'd say those in the area should willfully and deliberately plan to OC in the school and nearby and maybe set up a demonstration across the road. Silence is acceptance.
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

"Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

Quote Originally Posted by rightwinglibertarian View Post
    hopefully charging the person who did with wasting police time. I'd say those in the area should willfully and deliberately plan to OC in the school and nearby and maybe set up a demonstration across the road. Silence is acceptance.
    It has been discussed in the past of having multiple appearances during a month long span or longer if need be. Something tells me after a very short time the school system involved would change their goofy policies.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Hey, thats my line! lol

Anyways. like has been suggested, just go open carry at each and every school in the district every single day, bring as sign and it's free speech. Shut them down, you might actually teach the students how the system really works.
    Last edited by Plan B; 11-24-2014 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Plan B View Post
    Hey, thats my line! lol

Anyways. like has been suggested, just go open carry at each and every school in the district every single day, bring as sign and it's free speech. Shut them down, you might actually teach the students how the system really works.
    I have heard that the person must have a legit legal reason to be on the school property, do I understand wrong?
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    I have heard that the person must have a legit legal reason to be on the school property, do I understand wrong?
    To avoid a trespassing charge, yes!

Examples of legal reasons would include:

1) Parents/guardians dropping off/picking up their kids
    2) Parents/guardians attending meetings (PTA, School Board, etc.)
    3) Voting
    4) Anybody attending an event on school property open to the public (athletic events, etc.)

There are probably more.
    Last edited by OC4me; 11-25-2014 at 10:05 AM.

Is an organized protest not a 'legitimate, legal reason' ?

Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Creamsicle View Post
    I'd say it depends on whether the school is public or private. Private places can throw you off for any reason. Public cannot as they are funded and controlled by the public - whether they want to admit it or not
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

"Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Creamsicle View Post
    Depends. Same rules as would apply to any speech (political, protest, etc.) on school grounds.

Simply open carrying at school events that are open to the public (without a need for protest signs, etc.) would be sufficient to get the point across. It would already be legal. Organizing something under the guise of exercising first amendment rights wouldn't add anything to the legality of it.
    Last edited by OC4me; 11-26-2014 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    We have too many idiots in charge .... clearly