• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan School District Plans “Lockdown” on Open Carry Parents

Augustin

Michigan School District Plans “Lockdown” on Open Carry Parents

A Michigan School district plans to call police and put schools into “lockdown” mode whenever anyone legally open carries a handgun into school property.

(snip)

Rob Harris, a member of the Michigan Open Carry, Inc., board of directors, was quoted as saying, “The policy to do a lockdown every time a parent open carries in school seems awfully disruptive to me. You’re going to call the police every single day, on a parent you know is lawful?”

For full article:

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/11/0...ent=2014-11-11&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter

FreeInAZ

They are bluffing. It may work, it may not? My bet is on the latter. ;) Remember these are the same people who whole heartedly believe to their very core that: school policy is above all laws, even the Constitution. :(

Tucker6900

Get ready to not only defend yourself (in court) for trespassing, but also disturbing the peace, causing alarm, etc, etc.

I have a feeling this is a decision made by people higher than the school board to once again use the children as a lever against lawful people. Sickening.

Last edited:

rightwinglibertarian

This includes putting the building into “lockdown status” and immediately calling 9-1-1

hopefully charging the person who did with wasting police time. I'd say those in the area should willfully and deliberately plan to OC in the school and nearby and maybe set up a demonstration across the road. Silence is acceptance.

FreeInAZ

hopefully charging the person who did with wasting police time. I'd say those in the area should willfully and deliberately plan to OC in the school and nearby and maybe set up a demonstration across the road. Silence is acceptance.

It has been discussed in the past of having multiple appearances during a month long span or longer if need be. Something tells me after a very short time the school system involved would change their goofy policies. ;)

Plan B

Banned
We have too many police .... clearly.

Hey, thats my line! lol

Anyways. like has been suggested, just go open carry at each and every school in the district every single day, bring as sign and it's free speech. Shut them down, you might actually teach the students how the system really works.

Last edited:

Raggs

Hey, thats my line! lol

Anyways. like has been suggested, just go open carry at each and every school in the district every single day, bring as sign and it's free speech. Shut them down, you might actually teach the students how the system really works.

I have heard that the person must have a legit legal reason to be on the school property, do I understand wrong?

OC4me

I have heard that the person must have a legit legal reason to be on the school property, do I understand wrong?

To avoid a trespassing charge, yes!

Examples of legal reasons would include:

1) Parents/guardians dropping off/picking up their kids
2) Parents/guardians attending meetings (PTA, School Board, etc.)
3) Voting
4) Anybody attending an event on school property open to the public (athletic events, etc.)

There are probably more.

Last edited:

OC4me

Is an organized protest not a 'legitimate, legal reason' ?

Depends. Same rules as would apply to any speech (political, protest, etc.) on school grounds.

Simply open carrying at school events that are open to the public (without a need for protest signs, etc.) would be sufficient to get the point across. It would already be legal. Organizing something under the guise of exercising first amendment rights wouldn't add anything to the legality of it.

Last edited: