Thread: 2/3 of all Utah CC permits over last 20 yrs issued to out-of-staters

2/3 of all Utah CC permits over last 20 yrs issued to out-of-staters

I didn't believe it until I read it on the Internet ( ) but as it just so happens, it's true.

Linky.

Some other interesting tidbits from the article:

"The total of 101,640 permits issued in the recently completed fiscal year is more than any year from 2004-2012. But it is fewer than in 2013, when nearly 134,000 permits were given out."

That's a lot of permits!

Applications cost $41 for Utah residents and $51 for non-residents. The permits last five years and cost $15 to renew.
    At these prices, is it any wonder so many people from other states which accept Utah's CC permit opt to simply get the Utah permit instead of the one in their own state? No, you do not have to have a CC permit issued to you from your home state in order to get the Utah CC permit. Unlike many other states, Utah simply does it right, charging only for the background check, administration and processing, and the physical card itself. "Just because they happen to live across the border, doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to defend themselves as well." - Rep. Curtis "Curt" Oda, a Republican lawmaker from Clearfield and a concealed-carry permit instructor.

Now THAT, Ladies and Gentlemen, is the American way.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    ...At these prices, is it any wonder so many people from other states which accept Utah's CC permit opt to simply get the Utah permit instead of the one in their own state? No, you do not have to have a CC permit issued to you from your home state in order to get the Utah CC permit...
    This information is outdated by several years. If your state recognizes the UT permit, you cannot apply or renew for a UT permit without showing proof of already having your state's permit. Read the top of the second column of page 1 of the application: http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/doc...pp0614_000.pdf

When I renew my instructor credentials in person with the UT Bureau of Criminal ID, most of us in the room are not from UT.

And no, UT's way is not the American way. The American way does not require permits. UT may be one of the "free states," but that is still a relative term.
    Last edited by MAC702; 11-20-2014 at 01:47 AM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post

And no, UT's way is not the American way. The American way does not require permits. UT may be one of the "free states," but that is still a relative term.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    I didn't believe it until I read it on the Internet ( ) but as it just so happens, it's true.

Linky.

Some other interesting tidbits from the article:

"The total of 101,640 permits issued in the recently completed fiscal year is more than any year from 2004-2012. But it is fewer than in 2013, when nearly 134,000 permits were given out."

That's a lot of permits!

At these prices, is it any wonder so many people from other states which accept Utah's CC permit opt to simply get the Utah permit instead of the one in their own state? No, you do not have to have a CC permit issued to you from your home state in order to get the Utah CC permit. Unlike many other states, Utah simply does it right, charging only for the background check, administration and processing, and the physical card itself. "Just because they happen to live across the border, doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to defend themselves as well." - Rep. Curtis "Curt" Oda, a Republican lawmaker from Clearfield and a concealed-carry permit instructor.

Now THAT, Ladies and Gentlemen, is the American way.
    Not only is it unAmerican to require a permit in the first place, the statement bolded above is misleading, at best. UT requires a 6 hour UT-specific and UT-certified training course to be taken before you can get your "permit". They call it a "Weapon Familiarity Certification". It's pretty much a complete waste of time, especially if you live outside UT since most of the content is UT-specific. And that's another $60 on top of what UT charges for.

Can imagine having to take a 6 hour class before you had a right to privacy or to choose a church or religion or to vote or to... well you get the idea. This is about an unAmerican as you can get.

Nice try OP, but UT permitting system does not represent the American way. It may be a great way to get a CCW permit but it sucks otherwise.
    Last edited by FTG-05; 11-26-2014 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FTG-05
    UT requires a 6 hour UT-specific and UT-certified training course to be taken before you can get your "permit". They call it a "Weapon Familiarity Certification". It's pretty much a complete waste of time, especially if you live outside UT since most of the content is UT-specific. And that's another $60 on top of what UT charges for.
    It's nominally a 4-hour class, but the required information really only takes about 2 unless there are some complete neophytes who need every little bit of firearm safety explained in great detail. Some instructors stretch it with frequent breaks, or adding to the required info.
    And the required info covers federal info/laws, which apply everywhere.
    But the UT laws should inspire people in less free areas to pester their legislators to bring their state up to date, make them more citizen-protective.

And BTW, you don't need a UT permit to carry openly, other than in a school zone. They're actually very good that way. And if you do have a permit, you can walk into a school while armed. Someone on this site has taught dozens of teachers in the SLC area, all of whom carry while at work.
    Last edited by MKEgal; 11-26-2014 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    And no, UT's way is not the American way. The American way does not require permits.
    +1

Utah is weak sauce IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    +1 Utah is weak sauce IMHO.
    I have never heard a bonafide certified lifetime member speak against his organization, and I do not expect a certified trainer speak against the process. When sheep training is all they got, that's weak sauce!
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    It's nominally a 4-hour class, but the required information really only takes about 2 unless there are some complete neophytes who need every little bit of firearm safety explained in great detail. Some instructors stretch it with frequent breaks, or adding to the required info.
    And the required info covers federal info/laws, which apply everywhere.
    But the UT laws should inspire people in less free areas to pester their legislators to bring their state up to date, make them more citizen-protective.

And BTW, you don't need a UT permit to carry openly, other than in a school zone. They're actually very good that way. And if you do have a permit, you can walk into a school while armed. Someone on this site has taught dozens of teachers in the SLC area, all of whom carry while at work.
    Mine was scheduled for 6 hours but took about 5 or so. But that's besides the point. The point was that the 2/4/5/6 hour class and it's required $$$ wasn't mentioned at all in the OP even though it's been a long known requirement for an UT permit.

And if you're going to discuss that "you don't need a UT permit to carry openly" you need to make clear what state you're talking about. You live in WI (apparently), I live in TN, used to live in AL and will probably never step foot in UT ever again. If you're talking about UT, great, but that wasn't the point of the thread either.
    Last edited by FTG-05; 12-26-2014 at 06:22 PM.