• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2/3 of all Utah CC permits over last 20 yrs issued to out-of-staters

since9

Campaign Veteran
I didn't believe it until I read it on the Internet ( :shocker: ) but as it just so happens, it's true.

Linky.

Some other interesting tidbits from the article:

"The total of 101,640 permits issued in the recently completed fiscal year is more than any year from 2004-2012. But it is fewer than in 2013, when nearly 134,000 permits were given out."

That's a lot of permits!

Applications cost $41 for Utah residents and $51 for non-residents. The permits last five years and cost $15 to renew.

At these prices, is it any wonder so many people from other states which accept Utah's CC permit opt to simply get the Utah permit instead of the one in their own state? No, you do not have to have a CC permit issued to you from your home state in order to get the Utah CC permit. Unlike many other states, Utah simply does it right, charging only for the background check, administration and processing, and the physical card itself. "Just because they happen to live across the border, doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to defend themselves as well." - Rep. Curtis "Curt" Oda, a Republican lawmaker from Clearfield and a concealed-carry permit instructor.

Now THAT, Ladies and Gentlemen, is the American way. :D

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...At these prices, is it any wonder so many people from other states which accept Utah's CC permit opt to simply get the Utah permit instead of the one in their own state? No, you do not have to have a CC permit issued to you from your home state in order to get the Utah CC permit...

This information is outdated by several years. If your state recognizes the UT permit, you cannot apply or renew for a UT permit without showing proof of already having your state's permit. Read the top of the second column of page 1 of the application: http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/documents/CFPapp0614_000.pdf

When I renew my instructor credentials in person with the UT Bureau of Criminal ID, most of us in the room are not from UT.

And no, UT's way is not the American way. The American way does not require permits. UT may be one of the "free states," but that is still a relative term.

Last edited:

FTG-05

I didn't believe it until I read it on the Internet ( :shocker: ) but as it just so happens, it's true.

Linky.

Some other interesting tidbits from the article:

"The total of 101,640 permits issued in the recently completed fiscal year is more than any year from 2004-2012. But it is fewer than in 2013, when nearly 134,000 permits were given out."

That's a lot of permits!

At these prices, is it any wonder so many people from other states which accept Utah's CC permit opt to simply get the Utah permit instead of the one in their own state? No, you do not have to have a CC permit issued to you from your home state in order to get the Utah CC permit. Unlike many other states, Utah simply does it right, charging only for the background check, administration and processing, and the physical card itself. "Just because they happen to live across the border, doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to defend themselves as well." - Rep. Curtis "Curt" Oda, a Republican lawmaker from Clearfield and a concealed-carry permit instructor.

Now THAT, Ladies and Gentlemen, is the American way. :D

Not only is it unAmerican to require a permit in the first place, the statement bolded above is misleading, at best. UT requires a 6 hour UT-specific and UT-certified training course to be taken before you can get your "permit". They call it a "Weapon Familiarity Certification". It's pretty much a complete waste of time, especially if you live outside UT since most of the content is UT-specific. And that's another $60 on top of what UT charges for.

Can imagine having to take a 6 hour class before you had a right to privacy or to choose a church or religion or to vote or to... well you get the idea. This is about an unAmerican as you can get.

Nice try OP, but UT permitting system does not represent the American way. It may be a great way to get a CCW permit but it sucks otherwise.

Last edited:

MKEgal

FTG-05 said:
UT requires a 6 hour UT-specific and UT-certified training course to be taken before you can get your "permit". They call it a "Weapon Familiarity Certification". It's pretty much a complete waste of time, especially if you live outside UT since most of the content is UT-specific. And that's another $60 on top of what UT charges for.
It's nominally a 4-hour class, but the required information really only takes about 2 unless there are some complete neophytes who need every little bit of firearm safety explained in great detail. Some instructors stretch it with frequent breaks, or adding to the required info.
And the required info covers federal info/laws, which apply everywhere.
But the UT laws should inspire people in less free areas to pester their legislators to bring their state up to date, make them more citizen-protective.

And BTW, you don't need a UT permit to carry openly, other than in a school zone. They're actually very good that way. And if you do have a permit, you can walk into a school while armed. Someone on this site has taught dozens of teachers in the SLC area, all of whom carry while at work.

Last edited:

FTG-05

It's nominally a 4-hour class, but the required information really only takes about 2 unless there are some complete neophytes who need every little bit of firearm safety explained in great detail. Some instructors stretch it with frequent breaks, or adding to the required info.
And the required info covers federal info/laws, which apply everywhere.
But the UT laws should inspire people in less free areas to pester their legislators to bring their state up to date, make them more citizen-protective.

And BTW, you don't need a UT permit to carry openly, other than in a school zone. They're actually very good that way. And if you do have a permit, you can walk into a school while armed. Someone on this site has taught dozens of teachers in the SLC area, all of whom carry while at work.

Mine was scheduled for 6 hours but took about 5 or so. But that's besides the point. The point was that the 2/4/5/6 hour class and it's required $$$ wasn't mentioned at all in the OP even though it's been a long known requirement for an UT permit.

And if you're going to discuss that "you don't need a UT permit to carry openly" you need to make clear what state you're talking about. You live in WI (apparently), I live in TN, used to live in AL and will probably never step foot in UT ever again. If you're talking about UT, great, but that wasn't the point of the thread either.

Last edited: