• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No guns allowed in our chapels (LDS).

Status
Not open for further replies.

utbagpiper

Banned
Ok, why would I be interested in reading LDS literature?

You wouldn't. But it isn't "LDS literature" just because it was an address by an LDS church leader any more than MLK's "I have a dream speech" was "Baptist literature" or JFK's innagural "ask what you can do for your country" was "Catholic literature". The Beckett foundation is not LDS and Oaks spoke at least as much from his legal expertise as from his position as a church leader.

What a shame you are too dense to understand this immediately.

You are missing the point. Again. This time it’s not about a church having more or less rights than a business. You see, a person cannot leave their religion at the door. Nor can they do the same with their race, color, creed or disability. You can, however, leave your damned AR-15 in the car while getting a drink at Starbucks. Think on that one for a bit.

Oh. I see. So it would be ok, in your view, if a business was required to provide service to homosexuals, but was allowed to require them not to wear "Pride" or rainbow T-shirts, nor to hold hands with their partners. I mean, you can't leave your sexuality at the door, but you can leave your damned rainbows and pride paraphernalia in your car and go without expressing physical affection for a few minutes while getting a drink at Starbucks. I can't leave religion at the door, but I don't have to wear a CTR ring, Young Womanhood Recognition necklace, yarmulke, crucifix, priestly robes or collars, or turban while inside someone's store.

Such a position would be roundly denounced as appallingly bigoted. And I bet you don't actually support that. But you're fine using the same "logic" for RKBA. Think about THAT for a few minutes.

You just wait Charles. Someday you may very well be blessed, against your will of course and certainly not by my works, to live with a physical impairment/disability. Only then will you understand that you are the one missing the boat.

If I live long enough, I will almost certainly have a physical disability like most everyone else who lives long enough.

How tragic that you are seemingly incapable of understanding that just because I don't support government mandates doesn't mean I'm opposed to providing services and accommodation. You seem to have a very low opinion of your fellow man and believe that they will do the "right thing" (ie what you want them to do) only if you force them to do so under government mandate.

I think most business owners have no interest in any kind of discrimination at all. I think the ADA and other anti-discrimination laws were founded on good intent, but with gross disregard for private property rights. I think they have become mostly full employment acts for lawyers and a lottery for a few militant types who give other minorities or disabled a bad name.

For the few business owners who do feel a moral need to avoid providing service to certain groups, individuals, or causes, I trust the market to sort it out. I think a guy who refuses to let a homosexual man, handicapped person, black woman, or mormon eat at his lunch counter is likely to go out of business. I suspect in most areas, however, the wedding photographer or baker or reception center owner or honeymoon hotel proprietor who declines to provide services to homosexual "weddings" will not have a problem keeping clients. Ditto the small business owner whose drinking fountain or mirror in his 100 year old building is a couple of inches higher than permitted by the ADA. And I think rational society understands there is nothing offensive about a mens' only, women's only, or no-children club.

But, so long as we have anti-discrimination laws, I see no reason to require me to leave my handgun in the car than there is to require a muslim to remove his headdress.

And I don’t like it when people shove religion down other people’s throats, either. Though I do not see myself as anti-religious, I am spiritual.

Good for you skippy. But who shoved religion down your throat on this thread? And if you have no use for religion, why do you even care what gun or other policies the LDS church has? The clearly don't affect you.

But you feel the need to jump on here and throw out a very common insult against churches. When I politely explain that your words are an insult, you don't apologize or rephrase, you double down.

Does your work in a group I’ve never heard of make you a good man?

That was never the question. But nice use of the logical fallacy of "moving the goal posts." Try to keep up.

You claimed you had no idea who I really was. I gave you a name a bio. Other board members have vouched for my identity. Leave it and move on. Question answered.

I’ll take that comment you just made as an open threat.

Blackmail & extortion do very poorly with me. And when I see that moderators look the other way on criminal acts like that... well, let’s just say that it doesn’t surprise me and is very disappointing.

Blackmail threat #3.

Oh. Ok. LOL! You call me all that crap and here you are threatening me with blackmail using cyber-bullying tactics?

You are truly insane and delusional. The consequences of hiding behind a screen name is that your opinions carry less weight, you have less credibility with other forum members. There are rare exceptions where someone has a real need to avoid being overt about their identity. But you've offered no such explanation.

You are a keyboard warrior unwilling to attach your name to what you post. Everyone who reads what you post will be very acutely aware of that and give your opinions appropriate (lack of) credence as a result.

And that offends you? You go on attack mode because you don’t like my opinion? Who’s the bigot now? Would that make you a hypocrit? Not really. I’ve dealt with mormons my entire life, so I’m used to it....

Calling it "an opinion" doesn't make it any less bigoted or offensive.

Is "dealing with mormons" kind of like "dealing with them mexicans"?

Keep typing, your bigotries are getting ever more clear.

Next time I'm going to be in SLC area for more than an hour or two I'll be sure to advertise it here as far in advance as I can and perhaps we can meet up.

Unless ya'll'er chickens. :monkey

If you'd like to get together to see if you can be more civil in person than when behind your keyboard, that would be fine. But at the first hint of incivility, I'll excuse myself.

And since I given more than enough info for anyone these days to find my home address in less than 5 minutes, while you continue to hide, calling me chicken is really quite childish. If you want to meet for an hour over lunch when I'm not working to see if we can get off on a better foot, I'm all for it. I think anonymity and the net bring out the worst in people, myself included, which is one reason I often do anything anonymously.

But neither do I meet anonymous strangers in person. So if you are serious, you'll need to advertise or at least PM your real name before we meet.

Charles

J_dazzle23

First off, it is not an insult.

Second, it is not specifically the LDS.

Third, it is merely my political view.

Fourth, back when I was in a different state and town the church I was with DID pay taxes, if any were owed. We never applied for a 501(c)(3) status. That gives unto Caesar what is Caesar's, and the feds have zero right to step in and tell us we can or cannot support any particular political stance. That is a problem churches face- remain politically silent or face the wrath of the IRS.

Fifth, as for my comment "And that offends you? You go on attack mode because you don’t like my opinion? Who’s the bigot now? Would that make you a hypocrit? Not really. I’ve dealt with mormons my entire life, so I’m used to it....", if that offends you then do not look at me for it, then, following LDS teachings, look at why I said it and what could be done to rectify it. I have only spoken what I know to be factual. I have seen it first hand, in person, myself.

If that is an insult, then don't come down on me for it, instead question why it was seen and why did LDS act in such a manner.

That's what sucks about disclosing you affiliations on line. You then represent them. As a nick or alias, it's one thing. But when you give your name, as Charles did, then you are representing them. Provided Charles really is Charles.

So let me clarify this to you and the rest-

1. If the LDS are to be respected for their wish to not allow guns, which has been the "law of the land" (so to speak) for as long as I can remember (I was baptised in 1978, BTW), then businesses should be allowed that as well. Just as much as you can decide to go to this church or that church, you can decide to go to this Chipolte or that Starbucks. In the LDS that is complicated, but that’s something the members need to work out, not me.

2. Along those lines I do feel that the LDS should not have a 501(c)(3) tax exemption.

3. #1 & 2 I feel should apply to all churches as well.

4. I don’t play around with insults. If I say it, you would not question it. Nor would anyone else.

You feel that churches are actually businesses, and should be treated legally as such. I vehemently disagree, but that is ok for two parties.

What you don't understand, is calling a church a "business" with pure intent to claim it is a profit seeking organization and nothing more, Is a huge violation of social mores in this forum, and in this country, especially when you know the people you are interacting with are religious people that hold churches sacred. If you truly do not understand that this IS taken as an insult in a society with frequent religious affiliation, consider this your notification.

I have no Ill will against you. I certainly don't want to argue or content here. If you want to go and say that you feel there are many similarities between business and religion, or that you feel some religions are better than others when it comes to financials, that MAY be acceptable if it is on topic. I personally do not feel that this was how your presented your arguement. It most certainly came across as "religion
is just a money gathering business, and shouldn't be treated any different."

I will note, I have lived in 3 different areas of the country, and have not been LDS for very much of my life. I have NEVER heard from anyone any legitimate(not modern polygamy misinformation) critisism leveled against the mormon church of hypocrisy and judgementalism. On the contrary, I have been praised as well as respected as the view of this religion, in my opinion, has been viewed as a religion full of good hearted, generous, kind, honest, family - value based people. It's one of the reasons that interested me in this church in the first place.

the only time I've EVER heard people sling crap at this church is after they have left it.

you can say as you please, but if you can't see that spouting that a religion is simply a for profit entity violates social mores, and in generally is a a pretty low blow to many folks, it's time to come out from under the rock. That's different than simply stating a political view. And I'm still not clear on which one you are espousing.

utbagpiper

Banned
First off, it is not an insult.

We have explained repeatedly why it is most often an insult.

Fourth, back when I was in a different state and town the church I was with DID pay taxes, if any were owed. We never applied for a 501(c)(3) status. That gives unto Caesar what is Caesar's, and the feds have zero right to step in and tell us we can or cannot support any particular political stance. That is a problem churches face- remain politically silent or face the wrath of the IRS.

Common fallacy. Churches with 501(c)(3) status are permitted to engage in various political speech, there are certain limits, not a ban.

Fifth, as for my comment "And that offends you? You go on attack mode because you don’t like my opinion? Who’s the bigot now? Would that make you a hypocrit? Not really. I’ve dealt with mormons my entire life, so I’m used to it....", if that offends you then do not look at me for it, then, following LDS teachings, look at why I said it and what could be done to rectify it. I have only spoken what I know to be factual. I have seen it first hand, in person, myself.

Substitute the word "Jew" or "blacks" or "homosexuals" for "LDS" and "mormon" in your above statement and then explain how it isn't overtly, highly offensive you small minded bigot.

If that is an insult, then don't come down on me for it, instead question why it was seen and why did LDS act in such a manner.

Again, substitute black, or mexican and it is beyond question you are being bigoted and offensive.

That's what sucks about disclosing you affiliations on line. You then represent them. As a nick or alias, it's one thing. But when you give your name, as Charles did, then you are representing them. Provided Charles really is Charles.

So you are ashamed to represent yourself on line? I can't blame you. I wouldn't want to own up to such offensive, small minded bigotries or logical disconnects either.

1. If the LDS are to be respected for their wish to not allow guns, which has been the "law of the land" (so to speak) for as long as I can remember (I was baptised in 1978, BTW), then businesses should be allowed that as well. Just as much as you can decide to go to this church or that church, you can decide to go to this Chipolte or that Starbucks. In the LDS that is complicated, but that’s something the members need to work out, not me.

Businesses are not churches, churches are not businesses. When you start from a wrong foundation, the entire argument is sure to fail.

2. Along those lines I do feel that the LDS should not have a 501(c)(3) tax exemption.

3. #1 & 2 I feel should apply to all churches as well.

This is routinely used as an attack on churches. "The power to tax is the power to destroy" and most who want to remove tax exemption status and other special benefits from churches want to see them destroyed, or at least their social influence greatly diminished. This is not only offensive to most church goers, but is explicitly contrary to constitutional protections and supreme court rulings.

4. I don’t play around with insults. If I say it, you would not question it. Nor would anyone else.

I can't wait. If being accused of being a Nazi who wants to torture and kill people, being called a hypocrite, and having what I hold sacred repeated compared and equated to businesses hawking wares, and being falsely accused of criminal conduct are not insults, I can't imagine what you think insults are. Do you think insults have to include Carlin's 7 words you can't say on TV?

This is the problem with anonymity. The wingnuts, bigots, and social rejects can vent their litany of injustices thinking nobody will ever know who they are.

Charles

Logan 5

You feel that churches are actually businesses, and should be treated legally as such. I vehemently disagree, but that is ok for two parties.
We agree that we disagree, and that’s good.

What you don't understand, is calling a church a "business" with pure intent to claim it is a profit seeking organization and nothing more, Is a huge violation of social mores in this forum, and in this country, especially when you know the people you are interacting with are religious people that hold churches sacred. If you truly do not understand that this IS taken as an insult in a society with frequent religious affiliation, consider this your notification.
I disagree. If I said that as anything anti-mormon, then yes. Anti-Jehovah’s Witness, then yeah. But it’s not. And it’s not anti-religious that I can see. If they take that as an insult then they certainly have a serious problem. It’s only a tax status.

I have no Ill will against you. I certainly don't want to argue or content here. If you want to go and say that you feel there are many similarities between business and religion, or that you feel some religions are better than others when it comes to financials, that MAY be acceptable if it is on topic. I personally do not feel that this was how your presented your arguement. It most certainly came across as "religion is just a money gathering business, and shouldn't be treated any different."
And I have none towards you.

I will note, I have lived in 3 different areas of the country, and have not been LDS for very much of my life. I have NEVER heard from anyone any legitimate(not modern polygamy misinformation) critisism leveled against the mormon church of hypocrisy and judgementalism. On the contrary, I have been praised as well as respected as the view of this religion, in my opinion, has been viewed as a religion full of good hearted, generous, kind, honest, family - value based people. It's one of the reasons that interested me in this church in the first place.
Hmmm. Ok. My mom was a convert. I was not exactly born into it, but she converted when I was 5 or 6. I was baptised at 8, ordained Aaronic Priesthood, and then many years later we left from the church. I came back, worked hard and eventually ordained in the Melchezidek Priesthood. I left years later as I saw some stuff that was outright criminal in nature, and I left once again. I spent over 23 years in the Mormon church.

It is not the church itself that is hypocritical or judgmental, if my comments come across as that specifically, then I’m sorry. No, it is the people that are, though it is not uncommon for leaders to be hypocritical or judgmental and base it on scripture or church policy. I am confident that if you had seen what I have seen, you would have a very similar point of view.

the only time I've EVER heard people sling crap at this church is after they have left it.
Do you know why? Because active members usually ignore it and those that have left aren’t afraid of telling of what they have seen.

you can say as you please, but if you can't see that spouting that a religion is simply a for profit entity violates social mores, and in generally is a a pretty low blow to many folks, it's time to come out from under the rock. That's different than simply stating a political view. And I'm still not clear on which one you are espousing.
There is nothing low about disputing the tax status. I know the church does an awful lot with the tithes they receive. I am not disputing that. They beat any Christian church out there. I am not disputing that. But my views on churches and businesses in the tax arena should not be insulting. If it insults them they are either too sensitive or have something to hide.

As for previous comments about me being anti-mormon, I have several friends that are mormon, and not only do they know my opinion, they aren’t offended by it. Why is that?

J, if you want to discuss this further, I’m more than happy to.

As for Charles....
Charles, you’re looking for a fight. That’s all. But when you outright lied about me calling you a nazi, I draw the line. Replies are useless. I put you on ignore. I am tired of your lies and insults.

J_dazzle23

We agree that we disagree, and that’s good.

I disagree. If I said that as anything anti-mormon, then yes. Anti-Jehovah’s Witness, then yeah. But it’s not. And it’s not anti-religious that I can see. If they take that as an insult then they certainly have a serious problem. It’s only a tax status.

And I have none towards you.

Hmmm. Ok. My mom was a convert. I was not exactly born into it, but she converted when I was 5 or 6. I was baptised at 8, ordained Aaronic Priesthood, and then many years later we left from the church. I came back, worked hard and eventually ordained in the Melchezidek Priesthood. I left years later as I saw some stuff that was outright criminal in nature, and I left once again. I spent over 23 years in the Mormon church.

It is not the church itself that is hypocritical or judgmental, if my comments come across as that specifically, then I’m sorry. No, it is the people that are, though it is not uncommon for leaders to be hypocritical or judgmental and base it on scripture or church policy. I am confident that if you had seen what I have seen, you would have a very similar point of view.

Do you know why? Because active members usually ignore it and those that have left aren’t afraid of telling of what they have seen.

There is nothing low about disputing the tax status. I know the church does an awful lot with the tithes they receive. I am not disputing that. They beat any Christian church out there. I am not disputing that. But my views on churches and businesses in the tax arena should not be insulting. If it insults them they are either too sensitive or have something to hide.

As for previous comments about me being anti-mormon, I have several friends that are mormon, and not only do they know my opinion, they aren’t offended by it. Why is that?

J, if you want to discuss this further, I’m more than happy to.

As for Charles....
Charles, you’re looking for a fight. That’s all. But when you outright lied about me calling you a nazi, I draw the line. Replies are useless. I put you on ignore. I am tired of your lies and insults.
Your opinion on how they should be taxed? That passes as far as I think. I disagree, but yeah, that's opinion and I get it.

But you definitely called it a business. Not "like" a business, not, "should be taxed like" a business.

That, tbh, is what poked the bear.

It came across that way pretty clearly. It seems to me that may not have been what you meant. If so, I'm glad to hear it.

Because of all the things you have said you have experienced, and all the things you have personally taken offense to, the money issue is far and away the biggest and most often thing I hear about(surprisingly). And not in polite political discussion. More like all out rants from people with too much hate in their hearts. if that's not you, then I suppose it's a non issue.

Logan 5

Your opinion on how they should be taxed? That passes as far as I think. I disagree, but yeah, that's opinion and I get it.

But you definitely called it a business. Not "like" a business, not, "should be taxed like" a business.
Keep in mind that businesses are not all taxed the same.

That, tbh, is what poked the bear.

It came across that way pretty clearly. It seems to me that may not have been what you meant. If so, I'm glad to hear it.
Perhaps. I still feel that * was looking for a fight. Well, he's not going to get it from me and his group will not have me as a supporter, verbally, politically or financially.

Because of all the things you have said you have experienced, and all the things you have personally taken offense to, the money issue is far and away the biggest and most often thing I hear about(surprisingly). And not in polite political discussion. More like all out rants from people with too much hate in their hearts. if that's not you, then I suppose it's a non issue.
Tithing is mentioned in the Bible. And you will find that an issue with many people have that problem in many churches, not just the LDS. I know one difficulty I have had is sometimes my pay was not in cash. IIRC the bible talks about 10%, it's too bad that nearly all churches rotate specifically around money.

When I have a truck load of produce & canned food to donate to the church (this time non-LDS) and told to instead sell it and give them the money, I don't know about you, but to me it speaks enough non-word meaning that I walk away from. There are too many people in this world that need that.

To close up the part about the church, just let me say that if you're 30 years old, just separated from a woman you love dearly and working hard and a stake president confronts you in public (a grocery store) and calls your wife a "call girl from Vegas", what would you do?

My next question is about the church in Logan. What is their stance on this, and what do they base it on? I talked with a neighbor about this issue earlier, and we agree on this. A church really is a sitting target for anyone bent on murdering a lot of people. It doesn't matter if it's mormon, catholic, pentacostal, presbyterian, mennonite or amish even- trouble abounds when you have a large number of unarmed people in one spot.

This can happen in a lot of other places, but most of those people can either OC & CC or just CC. And that usually takes them off the "hit list" by people planning on such attrocities. Even in colleges here in Utah they can CC with permit on campus. That one lady speaker tried using that as a trick to force a change in the laws when a person unknown made death threats to her when she was going to do a speech at Utah State University. I just so happen to be a student (in my aged decrepid years) at USU. And the results I saw impressed me. Everyone of the staff and students I talked with about her boycott laughed it off. She feels threatened? Surrounded by an untold number of CC-permit holders? Who is going to be THAT stupid to try anything? It was just a ploy...by her. Her loss.

Strange coincidence that the only people supporting banning firearms on campus are either non-voters, libertarians (1) or democrats. But then I did not formal poll, so I must question even that.

The fact remains the same no matter which way you call it- an armed society is a responsible society.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This thread has moved waaay too far from the OP/intended discussion and delved into the area of religion w/o connection to RKBA & OC + personal insults.

Locked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.