Thread: HIT THIS POLL - Would allowing guns on college campuses make students safer?

HIT THIS POLL - Would allowing guns on college campuses make students safer?

Don't Skip the Poll on this page. - Would allowing guns on college campuses make students safer?

http://www.news4jax.com/news/attorne...-guns/29865222

1657 37% 50% 2% 11%
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

2043 votes:

I think more people carrying guns on campus would minimize shootings. - 44%. (908 votes)
    Yes, but only people with concealed carry permits should have them at college. - 45% (919 votes)
    Guns should be allowed on campus, but only locked in vehicles. (Current law). - 2%. (33 votes)
    Only law enforcement personnel should be allowed to carry guns on campus. - 9%. (183 votes)

As always, the wording is biased; one would think the first option would specify more 'law abiding people", seeing as criminals will carry weapons regardless of the law, and the wording of the last question assumes that criminals care about getting permission to break the law.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    I think more people carrying guns on campus would minimize shootings. - 48% (1074 votes)

Yes, but only people with concealed carry permits should have them at college. - 43% (963 votes)

Guns should be allowed on campus, but only locked in vehicles. (Current law). - 2% (34 votes)

Only law enforcement personnel should be allowed to carry guns on campus. - 8% (187 votes)

Total Votes: 2,258
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 11-21-2014 at 09:06 PM. Reason: fixed
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Yes. Someone has to do something to keep the rabid instructors from going total zombie on the students....
    Lifetime member, Gun Owners of America (http://gunowners.org/)
    Lifetime member, Jews for the Preservation of Firearm Ownership (http://jpfo.org/)
    Member, Fraternal Order of Eagles since 8/02 (http://www.foe.com/)

Registering gun owners to prevent crime, is like registering Jews to prevent a HOLOCAUST.

I am not a lawyer in real life, or in play life. So anything I say is for debate and discussion only.

"I definitely do think it could be used for the wrong reason, so I don't think people should be allowed to carry them," said Adam Dawson, a student at the University of North Florida.

"I think we're getting better reacting to something like this," student Ian Harvel said. "I think FSU did a great job. Luckily no one died, so I don't see enough reason to permit that."

"I feel like if students were armed in there, it would have gone down differently there," student William Gordon said. "I think the three students who got injured would not have got injured."
    Dear Adam - maybe if the shooter had not used the gun he had for the wrong reason there would not have been a shooting in the first place.

Dear Ian - how long did it take for FSU and the local cops to respond and shoot the guy? The paper says 3 to 4 minutes after he went outside after having shot his three victims inside the library. What might have happened if someone inside the library had shot him immediately after he fired his first shot?

Dear commenters who go on about 21/22/23-year old college students not being mature enough to control their use of handguns - are you aware that the minimum age to be a cop is merely 18? How come 18-year old cops are mature enough to control their use of handguns?

There are days when it seems pointless to expose the lack of rationality. But those are the days when I realize we cannot give up and surrender.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Centurion

Sounds like a good poll to vote "Yes" on

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Results are as follows:
    Yes - 2005 votes/49%;
    Yes, CC only - 1786/43%;
    Locked in car - 56/1%; and
    LEOs only - 262/6%.

I remember my college days in the mid '70s at Southern Ill. Iniv - Carbondale and all the drinking that went on there. This was partly because the age for beer and wine had been dropped to 18 until 1/1/76 when it went back to 21+.
    There were too many people with no "control" to such a degree that a couple of times the main northbound road where most of the bars were had to block off a 6 block stretch because too many were stumbling out into the street.

In too many cases, college students have no "common sense" to deal with real-world problems. I saw a video on another site where college students could not even name which side won the Civil War. But they could name Snooki or Kardashian very easily!
    The results so far are remarkable and telling. Over 14-1 in favor of more freedom on campus!

Quote Originally Posted by ccwinstructor View Post
    The results so far are remarkable and telling. Over 14-1 in favor of more freedom on campus!
    It is about 50-50 more freedom vs. more P4P

Please do not on this forum tell us that P4P= freedom!
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

The poll asks the wrong questions and purposes the wrong answers.

Would more students carrying gun makes colleges safer? Not necessarily. But it does give those students a far better means with which to protect themselves.

Centurion

The ability to legally carry on campus, with a permit is more than now exists.l

Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    It is about 50-50 more freedom vs. more P4P

Please do not on this forum tell us that P4P= freedom!
    The ability to carry, with the permit, is more than they currently have. There already are millions of people with permits. Opening up another place for them to legally carry is an increase in freedom.

An increase is not a decrease.

Oh the problems that we run into when we socialize "education".
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.