• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HIT THIS POLL - Would allowing guns on college campuses make students safer?

Rusty Young Man

2043 votes:

I think more people carrying guns on campus would minimize shootings. - 44%. (908 votes)
Yes, but only people with concealed carry permits should have them at college. - 45% (919 votes)
Guns should be allowed on campus, but only locked in vehicles. (Current law). - 2%. (33 votes)
Only law enforcement personnel should be allowed to carry guns on campus. - 9%. (183 votes)

As always, the wording is biased; one would think the first option would specify more 'law abiding people", seeing as criminals will carry weapons regardless of the law, and the wording of the last question assumes that criminals care about getting permission to break the law.:rolleyes:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I think more people carrying guns on campus would minimize shootings. - 48% (1074 votes)

Yes, but only people with concealed carry permits should have them at college. - 43% (963 votes)

Guns should be allowed on campus, but only locked in vehicles. (Current law). - 2% (34 votes)

Only law enforcement personnel should be allowed to carry guns on campus. - 8% (187 votes)

Total Votes: 2,258

Last edited:

Logan 5

Yes. Someone has to do something to keep the rabid instructors from going total zombie on the students....

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
"I definitely do think it could be used for the wrong reason, so I don't think people should be allowed to carry them," said Adam Dawson, a student at the University of North Florida.

"I think we're getting better reacting to something like this," student Ian Harvel said. "I think FSU did a great job. Luckily no one died, so I don't see enough reason to permit that."

"I feel like if students were armed in there, it would have gone down differently there," student William Gordon said. "I think the three students who got injured would not have got injured."

Dear Adam - maybe if the shooter had not used the gun he had for the wrong reason there would not have been a shooting in the first place.

Dear Ian - how long did it take for FSU and the local cops to respond and shoot the guy? The paper says 3 to 4 minutes after he went outside after having shot his three victims inside the library. What might have happened if someone inside the library had shot him immediately after he fired his first shot?

Dear commenters who go on about 21/22/23-year old college students not being mature enough to control their use of handguns - are you aware that the minimum age to be a cop is merely 18? How come 18-year old cops are mature enough to control their use of handguns?

There are days when it seems pointless to expose the lack of rationality. But those are the days when I realize we cannot give up and surrender.

stay safe.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Sounds like a good poll to vote "Yes" on

Results are as follows:
Yes - 2005 votes/49%;
Yes, CC only - 1786/43%;
Locked in car - 56/1%; and
LEOs only - 262/6%.

I remember my college days in the mid '70s at Southern Ill. Iniv - Carbondale and all the drinking that went on there. This was partly because the age for beer and wine had been dropped to 18 until 1/1/76 when it went back to 21+.
There were too many people with no "control" to such a degree that a couple of times the main northbound road where most of the bars were had to block off a 6 block stretch because too many were stumbling out into the street.

In too many cases, college students have no "common sense" to deal with real-world problems. I saw a video on another site where college students could not even name which side won the Civil War. But they could name Snooki or Kardashian very easily!

The results so far are remarkable and telling. Over 14-1 in favor of more freedom on campus!

Jack House

The poll asks the wrong questions and purposes the wrong answers.

Would more students carrying gun makes colleges safer? Not necessarily. But it does give those students a far better means with which to protect themselves.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
The ability to legally carry on campus, with a permit is more than now exists.l

It is about 50-50 more freedom vs. more P4P

Please do not on this forum tell us that P4P= freedom!

The ability to carry, with the permit, is more than they currently have. There already are millions of people with permits. Opening up another place for them to legally carry is an increase in freedom.

An increase is not a decrease.