Thread: Rookie Cop "Accidentally" shoots, kills innocent man

Rookie Cop "Accidentally" shoots, kills innocent man

Rookie Cop, on a "violence reduction overtime detail", was patrolling a building WITH HIS SERVICE WEAPON in hand, FINGER ON THE TRIGGER, with NO reasonable cause to believe a crime was being committed or anyone's life was in immediate danger.

Guess how that worked out for him?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/21/us/new...html?hpt=hp_t2

Banned
    Another victim of "domestic terrorism".

An accidentl discharge happens when a gun fires afterv the built-in safety features fail. An accident is something that happens in spite of precautions to prevent the action from happening.

A negligent discharge happens when the gun goes bang when the person holding it manipulates the firing mechanism at a time when they did not intend for the gun to go bang.

It does appear that the cop has good combat accuracy. Maybe not the best time to bring that up?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Banned
    He's not a rookie anymore ! First kill !

If the victim's family members have an accidental discharge involving the rookie I wonder if they'll have a nice press conference about that too.

Four more and he becomes an Ace.
    Assault Weapon (N) “Any firearm whose design disturbs the sleep of progressive politicians.”.

Funny how a chunk of metal on the chest and a fancy costume will transform negligence into an "accident".

A young child lost his father because of the reckless and negligent actions of this "officer". I hope the faces of the victim and his son haunts this "officer" for the rest of his life.

I think the rookie's partner has some responsibility here too. As the senior officer I feel he had a responsibilty to tell the rookie to holster his weapon until there is a threat.

This wasn't an "alarm response" to a closed business where a break in was suspected. This wasn't an abandoned building they were clearing in search of a suspect. This was an occupied residential building, this was peoples home. Did he really expect to walk through the building without seeing any residents? This is not an accident, this is negligence.
    A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.- Thomas Jefferson March 4 1801

Yes this was negligence, will there be repercussions for the negligence? I highly doubt it.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by END_THE_FED View Post
    I think the rookie's partner has some responsibility here too. As the senior officer I feel he had a responsibilty to tell the rookie to holster his weapon until there is a threat.

This wasn't an "alarm response" to a closed business where a break in was suspected. This wasn't an abandoned building they were clearing in search of a suspect. This was an occupied residential building, this was peoples home. Did he really expect to walk through the building without seeing any residents? This is not an accident, this is negligence.
    I felt the same way when I read it. My first question was "was the partner senior to him, or another rookie?" If senior to him, the partner had a responsibility to prevent the stupidity. If another rookie, NYPD needs to be held responsible for THAT stupidity.

Under no circumstance was the wielding of a service weapon by a fekkin rookie acceptable in that situation...
    Last edited by ODAAT; 11-22-2014 at 07:44 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shovelhead View Post
    I've been zinged ! Good job.

Centurion
    or was that an "ACE HOLE"?
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Did the cop get to go home safely? Please tell me the cop got to go home. They keep telling us that is what matters.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    He's not a rookie anymore ! First kill !
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I've been zinged ! Good job.
    That was a good one.

...pitch black...hmm, one "unsettled" cop and one not so unsettled cop. Did the other cop know his "partner" had unholstered his service weapon? Why am I not surprise that NYPD is involved.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

This is New York after all, you know that Bratton will protect his own and maintain the "unfortunate accident" mantra. Damn good shot for an accident. To me this speaks to the disparity of justification between civilians self defense and the police shooting innocent people. A civilian would be in jail and most likely convicted of negligent homicide if not murder 1 under these same circumstances. Officer friendly will be protected and coached on writing his report of what happened. If this officer is charged it will be a cold day in hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken56 View Post
    Damn good shot for an accident.
    Considering the NYPD are highly skilled professionals who would never intentionally discharge their service weapons without the appropriate and safe backstop of a nearby crowd, I think it's safe to say this particular shot was an accident.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Considering the NYPD are highly skilled professionals who would never intentionally discharge their service weapons without the appropriate and safe backstop of a nearby crowd, I think it's safe to say this particular shot was an accident.

LOL.....hilarioius! Well said.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)