• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Op-Ed Piece on reasons for open carry of AR-15 at Phoenix Sky Harbor airport

Rusty Young Man

The Arizona Republic published today my op-ed piece explaining why I carried an AR-15 to the Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/2014/11/22/open-carry-sky-harbor-airport/19344603/

In it I discuss how 3 irrational or mistaken fears are used to jeopardize our civil liberties.

Not biased layout at all, with the video above your piece being completely objective and not meant to imply anything. /sarcasm

Well-argued, though I wish the statistic of OCers and the case of the airport shooter had both been reiterated in case someone simply glossed over that important tid-bit.

Might have also liked to read more about the TSA not being able to catch a potential terrorist, but I digress.

ODAAT

I'm split on this one mostly because I've lived under the shackles of infringed rights for too long.

Part of me is like they're afraid of the big evil "assault weapons / weapons of mass destruction / machine guns", but wouldn't bitch so loudly over a handgun in a holster which is just complete fear-driven crazy and unwillingness to understand the detailed differences between reality and their make-believe understanding of exactly what kind of weapon an AR is and that's something we need to work on through education.

Part of me however, is well, they're entrenched and never going to change their minds because they're close-minded and myopic, and have plenty of others who agree with them so they have no reason in their minds to want to change. And because of that, I fear that if/when enough of them rise up they'll eventually either get their way with a complete ban, or work their way through to it like happens all across the country these days (either MDA/Bloomberg/etc... or how they're doing it in California with the microstamping, and the 10 bullet max law and the bullet button law...)

And because of THAT fear I have, I wonder whether it really is helpful to do it as a political statement where they're most fearful (such as airports - TSA has done a great job of making them so fearful of course, yet it really is where they are most fearful regardless of the cause). I mean, we have the right, and now Arizona acknowledges the right. So why push people's buttons purely to make a political statement on this scale?

I'm not against the concept of or your right to carry what you want, where you want. Just trying to walk through my own understanding overall. Because unlike the antis,I'm actually open-minded and am posting here directly and outright for feedback to help broaden my understanding, or at least have dialogue with people who won't condemn me for my own personal 2A RKBA views...

I understand he was "making a point and a good one" but at the same time a rifle/shotgun is the wrong way to do it. I think he wrongly represented the open carry group. That is just my opinion.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
The article does a good job.

The Arizona Republic published today my op-ed piece explaining why I carried an AR-15 to the Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/2014/11/22/open-carry-sky-harbor-airport/19344603/

In it I discuss how 3 irrational or mistaken fears are used to jeopardize our civil liberties.

Thanks for writing the article, Peter. It goes a long way toward educating the public. I believe that you even got Montini thinking.