Thread: Signs for Rapid Response

Signs for Rapid Response

It was reported that there would be a MDA event in Phoenix today (10-1). Although I only heard about it at the last minute, and didn't have any signs ready, I drove out to the location. There was no one there at noon and no signs of media presence.

Nonetheless, in preparation for the anniversary of last years MDA event, shall we put together some signs that we could use at these or similar events in the future? I would also suggest that we put together either a mailing list or a set of phone numbers to call when last minute notice of these events comes up.

For slogans on signs, how about :

Victim Disarmament = More Victims

Allow Parents and Staff to Protect Our Children

Guns Save Lives (with some artwork from that group)

If people will comment and suggest others, I will help get these printed and we can then distribute to those who will be interested in attending, possibly on short notice.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterNSteinmetz View Post
    It was reported that there would be a MDA event in Phoenix today (10-1). Although I only heard about it at the last minute, and didn't have any signs ready, I drove out to the location. There was no one there at noon and no signs of media presence.

Nonetheless, in preparation for the anniversary of last years MDA event, shall we put together some signs that we could use at these or similar events in the future? I would also suggest that we put together either a mailing list or a set of phone numbers to call when last minute notice of these events comes up.

For slogans on signs, how about :

Victim Disarmament = More Victims

Allow Parents and Staff to Protect Our Children

Guns Save Lives (with some artwork from that group)

If people will comment and suggest others, I will help get these printed and we can then distribute to those who will be interested in attending, possibly on short notice.
    A classic one is "When the seconds count, police are only minutes away."

One I like is :"Would you prefer teachers throw books or fire lead at a school shooter?"

Catchy ones:
    "Gun-Free Zones" are Defense-Free Zones
    Criminals LIKE disarmed targets
    Since when do criminals obey the law?
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Banned
    How about:

Rights cannot be voted upon .. by any legislature or judicial or executive branch ; they are RIGHTS and need no permission
    SCOTUS

What size do people think will be best for the signs? And what materials and colors? I am willing to lay these out and have them printed professionally on single sheets that could then be attached to cardboard and sticks to hold up. But I would like to design for the most useful size.

The only thing I can say with certainty is that a minimum of 2" in height for the letters is a must, and the use of solid, dark colors makes the message easier to read.

I figure the signs should be no larger than 3 feet wide (so maybe 3x2?), though having one or two that size could really come in handy when the reporters come out and then intentionally blur the image quality to block our message.
    My signs are usually ~1.5-2 feet wide and 1.5-2 feet in height; I keep them compact to make it easier to transport them on foot.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Some of them like math.

"1911 > 911"
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Some of them like math.

"1911 > 911"
    Of course. I'll carry that sign.

Average metro PD response time = approx. 15 min.

Average LAC (Lawfully Armed Citizen) response time = approx, 8/10 of a second.

Too wordy, I know.

These work well too:

Guns save lives
    &
    Guns stop crime
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

My experience is that counter rallies by gun owners work against us. Unless you can persuade everyone showing up to wear a suit and tie, the media, if they don't ignore you, will find Bubba the Duck Dynasty wannabe wearing dirty camo with an AR-15 slung over his shoulder and that will be the picture everyone sees.

A few months back at a Texas Mothers Demanding Ativan (MDA) rally "they" got behind a group picture of the pro-gun guys and snapped a picture. It ran as a picture of the gun guys threatening the poor defenseless moms.

If y'all want to make a difference, we (AzCDL) could always use help at gun shows and we'll get you into the show for free. Also, a big battle is coming our way over Gun Owner Registration. If Arizona gun owners stay melted into their couches, what happened in Washington state, and will soon happen in Oregon, and most likely will happen in Nevada, will happen in Arizona in 2016.

Fred
    Last edited by azcdlfred; 11-24-2014 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by azcdlfred View Post
    If y'all want to make a difference, we (AzCDL) could always use help at gun shows and we'll get you into the show for free. Also, a big battle is coming our way over Gun Owner Registration. If Arizona gun owners stay melted into their couches, what happened in Washington state, and will soon happen in Oregon, and most likely will happen in Nevada, will happen in Arizona in 2016.
    Fred
    Definitely have to second everyone getting on board with helping AzCDL. Please consider joining if you aren't already a member.

Centurion

I see just the opposite. Opposition shows that they are *not* the only option

Quote Originally Posted by azcdlfred View Post
    My experience is that counter rallies by gun owners work against us. Unless you can persuade everyone showing up to wear a suit and tie, the media, if they don't ignore you, will find Bubba the Duck Dynasty wannabe wearing dirty camo with an AR-15 slung over his shoulder and that will be the picture everyone sees.

A few months back at a Texas Mothers Demanding Ativan (MDA) rally "they" got behind a group picture of the pro-gun guys and snapped a picture. It ran as a picture of the gun guys threatening the poor defenseless moms.

Fred
    The fact that there is opposition at all is the most important point made. It is far more important than the form of dress. A poorly spoken person can detract from the message, but it doesn't destroy the message. Better that there *be* a message, than no opposition.

The story that you refer to, Fred, has worked against the MDA, in my estimation. Both pictures are shown side by side, in many places, all over the net, and MDA duplicity is exposed.

I also see that old media as a little less hostile than they used to be. If someone is there with a suit, and is willing to be a spokesperson, the media will talk to them. It happened to me.