• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Henderson Rec centers

Dodoandduck

Was at the Henderson multi generational center on Green Valley today. As I was leaving I noticed signage on the front entrance saying "No concealed firearms" listed with the other rules. No NRS was posted. Does this carry any weight?

Vegassteve

Was at the Henderson multi generational center on Green Valley today. As I was leaving I noticed signage on the front entrance saying "No concealed firearms" listed with the other rules. No NRS was posted. Does this carry any weight?

First in NV no statute has to be listed. Second. Is this a public owned building? If so then, if they have this sign at every public entrance it is a legal sign. You may OC though.

garand_guy

First in NV no statute has to be listed. Second. Is this a public owned building? If so then, if they have this sign at every public entrance it is a legal sign. You may OC though.

Correct. I OC'd into the library next door twice. First time, no problems. Second, was confronted by a volunteer or somebody who got upset and walked off when I informed him only concealed carry is illegal. All the librarian did was give me a look (not even a dirty one).

I would let someone know you appreciate the correct signage (mentioning concealed carry and not just "No weapons"). I'd love for you to post a picture of the sign if you have one.

Vegassteve

My guess is the sign is worded like it is because of our very own poster here, TheBigGuy. He did all the work in Henderson to make them come inline with the law.

garand_guy

My guess is the sign is worded like it is because of our very own poster here, TheBigGuy. He did all the work in Henderson to make them come inline with the law.

Now it's time to fix the library's signage. It's gonna be time to get some Michael Crichton novels soon.

Vegassteve

The libraries present a different problem. There is a thread on here someplace form either TheBigGuy or Donttreadonme. They were at one time working on the library issue. I was almost drawn down on in the rainbow library for a empty holster. Part of the issue stems from a NRS that gives the library some powers and that they said they were not a gov building. So look for the thread and get in touch with those guys as well. I tried to pursue it after my issue and was meant with roadblocks from all angles.

garand_guy

The libraries present a different problem. There is a thread on here someplace form either TheBigGuy or Donttreadonme. They were at one time working on the library issue. I was almost drawn down on in the rainbow library for a empty holster. Part of the issue stems from a NRS that gives the library some powers and that they said they were not a gov building. So look for the thread and get in touch with those guys as well. I tried to pursue it after my issue and was meant with roadblocks from all angles.

When I go back, I'll go with a video camera. Also Henderson is a bit different than Las Vegas. And by the strictest definition, even under the NRS, a public library is a public building. Still don't want to be a test case, but they have to abide by the law. Too bad Nevada government is a little bit crooked.

Vegassteve

Henderson lib tried to tell them they were not a public owned building and therefore could ask them to leave. I don't recall if they got any resolution out of it. Please do a search on the forum to find the thread it might help as I don't remember all the events for them.

garand_guy

Henderson lib tried to tell them they were not a public owned building and therefore could ask them to leave. I don't recall if they got any resolution out of it. Please do a search on the forum to find the thread it might help as I don't remember all the events for them.

I recall the thread. TBG waiting for HPD to show up and they did absolutely nothing. I think Henderson is pretty cool about this stuff.

Dodoandduck

I would let someone know you appreciate the correct signage (mentioning concealed carry and not just "No weapons"). I'd love for you to post a picture of the sign if you have one.
Unfortunately I was in a hurry and only noticed the sign as I was heading out. I will go back and get a picture, also check the other entrances to see if they're posted as well. Thanks for the replies.:)

FallonJeeper

The "correct sign" in accordance with the NRS 202.3673  Permittee authorized to carry concealed firearm while on premises of public building; exceptions; penalty.

Subsection 3. (a)

"A public building that has a metal detector at each public entrance or a sign posted at each public entrance indicating that no firearms are allowed in the building,"

The wording of the NRS dictates the wording of the sign, even though the NRS is intended for concealed carry.

Change the wording of the NRS or just be prepared to explain it to those that don't/won't understand the NRS.

Some places, like DMVs, have changed the wording, on their own, to reduce confusion and confrontation.

While others like that it says "No Firearms" so they can tell you "that's the law", even though they are wrong. They are counting that you won't contest it and just be a good sheeple.

Last edited:

ed2276

I seem to recall that a long time back a Metro Sgt. tried that ploy with some OCers at a Metro station. The Sgt. said that OCers could be kicked out because the building Metro was using was being rented from a private owner and so the station wasn't considered to be a public building.

Last edited: