• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question re OC on the seashore / Buxton / Dare County

mdak06

Are there any legal issues with open carry on the Cape Hatteras seashore and/or the Buxton area and/or Dare County?

I'm down here just for the weekend and wasn't able to find info on it. I know NC has a partial preemption law (?) but the only info I found seemed to be old regarding this area.

drsysadmin

State law specifically prohibits local governments from restricting OC except on very specific property. The publicly accessible beach area is not one of those specified. Thus, State law which allows OC is in force. Enjoy!

mdak06

So far no issues. Down in Buxton so there's not much going on down here. Was on the beach in Buxton, the beach west of Frisco, at the lighthouse (went into the gift shop, not the lighthouse itself), a bit around town but not much. If anyone called the cops on me they apparently didn't care.

Was carrying when I stopped at a gas station in Kill Devil Hills on Thanksgiving. Folks were friendly, no issues there. Heading out of town tomorrow so I may make a few more stops in the area.