• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun friendly self storage

Mongoose72

I need to put some guns and ammo into storage for a few months. I am trying to find a gun/ammo friendly self storage place, but they seem to be few and far between. If anyone knows of one in either Hampton roads or even in Richmond I would appreciate the recommendation.

Anyhow, from my research it seems that a lot of storage places seem to have a don't ask don't tell policy. They list it as forbidden to store guns/ ammo in their contract to satisfy their legal department, but they really don't care and know that a lot of their customers store such items. However, some of these places claim to have "explosives trained" police dogs come through their units. Do these dogs consider ammo to be an explosive? Is there any actual law against storing guns/ ammo in self storage in Virginia?

Last edited:

mobeewan

I have 10 x 30 and 11 x 16 storage units I rent. I have rented various units there for about 10 years. I don't store any guns or ammo there. One unit has a gas powered pressure washer (with stabilized gas in it), 3 generators (all with stabilized gas in them), about 100 - GI 20 mm ammo cans and several empty gas cans. I don't know about any "explosives trained" police dogs sniffing around but I've never had any problems with anyone saying anything about what I might have stored. By the way the other unit is where I store my lawn mower during the winter. Used to be called Mini Price Self Storage but all were bought out recently and renamed Extra Space Storage.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Buy a storage case that is designed to be buried .... then bury your guns ... everyone should have some guns (or at least on) and ammo buried

Or find a relative to store the guns at ...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
If you're in Central Va, there are a lot of them. Can't say what goes on North of the Ni.