• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Surry County Commonwealth's Attorney

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This thread should be renamed "A Ferry Tale Chapter 3: What goes Around Comes Around (or "Karma is a Bitch")".

We approve of this post. Reminds me of Humpty Dumpty.

Seriously, Gerald Poindexter should have been removed from office some time ago. He is an insult to the people of Surry.

Repeater

OOoooh, now there's a thought! Maybe I could get him a good plea deal, like get the charge amended to attempted murder of the other motorist whose car he tried to knock into the water? I could probably get him a good deal, like, twenty years with fifteen suspended!

Say, could he be charged with brandishing a deadly weapon? Assault with a deadly weapon? Other 'novel' charges?

Repeater

Karma?

I heard the news on the car radio. I had to slow down or I might have ... never mind. Stay safe, as someone keeps reminding us.

The word that instantly came to mind is Karma -- I see we all think alike around here, huh?

Now, for the latest. Remember the mug shot of one of our own? Well ...

poindexter.jpg

[size=+1]Gerald Glen "Jerry" Poindexter[/size]

In further developments:

Warrant: Surry Co. Commonwealth’s Attorney, charged with DUI, given six field sobriety tests, “failed them completely.”
According to a warrant obtained by NewsChannel 3’s Mike Mather, the Surry County Commonwealth’s Attorney, charged with DUI, was given six field sobriety tests, and “failed them completely.”

Um, say User, just how bad is that?

OC for ME

Better question, does VA LE go to similar lengths for "ordinary citizens?"

Six times? Coppers seem to have been trying real hard, looking for any out for this nitwit.

Repeater

More updated facts from WTKR:
Police say Poindexter was arrested for driving under the influence and no driver’s license in possession.

According to a warrant obtained by NewsChannel 3, Poindexter was given six field sobriety tests, and “failed them completely.” Poindexter also reportedly blew a .127 during a preliminary breath test.

He was back at work on Monday, though he did not not want to speak to reporters.

What a bad actor. Here's a thought: how about placing him on UNpaid leave?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Better question, does VA LE go to similar lengths for "ordinary citizens?"

Six times? Coppers seem to have been trying real hard, looking for any out for this nitwit.

According to a warrant obtained by NewsChannel 3, Poindexter was given six field sobriety tests, and “failed them completely.” Poindexter also reportedly blew a .127 during a preliminary breath test.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/alcohol/sfst/appendix_a.htm

Standardized field sobriety test protocol:
Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus (HGN),
Walk-and-Turn (WAT),
and One-Leg Stand (OLS)

Additional non-standard tests:
Serial threes from a random starting number
Hands out from shoulders, close eyes and touch designated finger tip to nose.
Say alphabet backwards from random starting letter

I see it more as dogpiling the evidence than the cops giving him 6 tries at passing the test protocol.

A .127 would be the equivalent of about 6 drinks for him. See chart at http://awareawakealive.org/educate/blood-alcohol-content

.020 - Light to moderate drinkers begin to feel some effects
.040 - Most people begin to feel relaxed
.060 - Judgment is somewhat impaired
.080 - Definite impairment of muscle coordination and driving skills. This is the legal intoxication level in most states.
.100 - Clear deterioration of reaction time and control. This is legally drunk in all states.
.120 - Vomiting usually occurs
.150 - Balance and movement are impaired. Here the equivalent of a 1/2 pint of whiskey is circulating in the blood stream.
.200 - Most people begin to experience blackouts
.300 - Many people lose consciousness
.400 - Most people lose consciousness and some die
.450 - Breathing stops. This is a fatal dose for most people.

One can but hope. And seeing how much he is not liked on the JCC side of the river ....

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+4.1-333

§ 4.1-333. Interdiction of intoxicated driver or habitual drunkard.

A. When after a hearing upon due notice it appears to the satisfaction of the circuit court of any county or city that any person, residing within such county or city, has been convicted of driving any automobile, truck, motorcycle, engine or train while intoxicated or has shown himself to be an habitual drunkard, the court may enter an order of interdiction prohibiting the sale of alcoholic beverages to such person until further ordered. The court entering any such order shall file a copy of the order with the Board.

B. The court entering any order of interdiction may alter, amend or cancel such order as it deems proper. A copy of any alteration, amendment or cancellation shall be filed with the Board.

(Code 1950, § 4-51; 1956, c. 53; 1982, c. 66; 1993, c. 866.)

stay safe.

OC for ME

... I see it more as dogpiling the evidence than the cops giving him 6 tries at passing the test protocol.

stay safe.
I understand. If a preliminary BAC can be determined via a breath test, why all the other circus tricks? 0.127 is not your run of the mill "a couple of beers after work."

Just a guess below for a 200 pounder.

9 drinks after 3 hours of enjoying the adult beverages: 0.121
10 drinks after 4 hours of enjoying the adult beverages: 0.124
11 drinks after 5 hours of enjoying the adult beverages: 0.126
12 drinks after 6 hours of enjoying the adult beverages: 0.129

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how things work out for the Honorable CA.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
WGNT News had a report on this morning. They did an interview of a man who said Poindexter put him in jail, but he still supports Poindexter.

sent using tapatalk

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Looks like a road trip next Tuesday.

8:30AM - that's an unholy time.

sttay safe.

Traffic/Criminal Case Details
Case/Defendant Information
Case Number : GC14011237-00 Filed Date : 12/01/2014 Locality : COMMONWEALTH OF VA
Name : POINDEXTER, GERALD G Status : Released On Recognizance Defense Attorney : KELLEY, P
Address : ELBERON, VA 23846 AKA1 : AKA2 :
Charge Information
Charge : DWI, 1ST
Code Section : A.18.2-266 Case Type : Misdemeanor Class : 1
Offense Date : 11/29/2014 Arrest Date : 11/29/2014 Complainant : SLODYSKO, OFF. J
Amended Charge : Amended Code : Amended Case Type :
Hearing Information
Date Time Result Hearing Type Courtroom Plea Continuance Code
12/09/2014 08:30 AM
Service/Process
Disposition Information
Final Disposition :
Sentence Time : 00Months 000Days 00Hours Sentence Suspended Time : 00Months 000Days 00Hours
Probation Type : Probation Time : 00Years 00Months 000Days Probation Starts :
Operator License Suspension Time : 00Years 00Months 000Days Restriction Start Date : Restriction End Date :
Operator License Restriction Codes :
Fine : Costs : Fine/Costs Due :
Fine/Costs Paid : Fine/Costs Paid Date : VASAP :

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I understand. If a preliminary BAC can be determined via a breath test, why all the other circus tricks?
Anyway, it will be interesting to see how things work out for the Honorable CA.

As I said, dogpiling evidence. Seriously, the CA hears every dodge and excuse about why the breathalyzer test results should not be admitted, and I wpould not be surprized if he does not submit a binder full of motions (with GPS locator attached should they become "misplaced") seeking to do just that.

I'm absolutely, positively, 100% sure the James City County Police never even considered what having Poindexter perform six (6) field sobriety tests with folks getting off/getting on the ferry passig right by might do to his pride or his public reputation. And speaking of which - does one wait to FOIA the dashcam videos until after the preliminary hearing?

stay safe.

Repeater

Looks like a road trip next Tuesday.

8:30AM - that's an unholy time.

Just being there, bearing witness, that would be something. Him seeing you -- that would be something else. :)

poindexter.jpg
images

[size=+2]I see you, sucka![/size]

I know; it's rude to point. But at least it's not illegal.