Thread: Your DNA is ours to take.

Your DNA is ours to take.

You Virginians see this yet?

"Albemarle County Sheriff Chip Harding is advocating for an expansion of Virginia’s DNA databanks, pushing for the state to collect DNA from all individuals convicted of misdemeanors."

You gotta be kidding me. What's next, blood draw for traffic tickets?

http://www.cavalierdaily.com/article...ion-procedures

All I needed to see was "Albemarle" to know that this was going to be about the Matthews case. Typical of those who hate freedom, use every heinous crime to make emotional pleas to surrender your rights, Fourth Amendment, in this case.

TFred

Banned
    Off the top of my head, I believe that courts have approved DNA swabbing for anyone arrested for any crime.

And I also read a defense attny who got his client's DNA profile checked against the state's database that they used that "showed" a DNA match and that bounced back like 10 other matches besides his client. His client got off as well as a few other clients where DNA was the only IDing evidence.

How can this be when DNA is so person-specific? The guy did not have 10 identical twins. Well, they don't actually match your entire DNA, only parts of it.

IMO DNA analysis is even more flawed than fingerprinting analysis.

Oh, now courts won't require taking DNA results and requiring a full comparison to the databases anymore.

From my recollection....
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 12-02-2014 at 09:22 PM.

Why I am not worried

http://www.nbc12.com/story/27529896/...dence-analysis

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...ffa_story.html

The 7,000 unprocessed kits mentioned in the WaPo story does not count the samples that have been sitting in frozen storage at the Forensics Lab.

If/when misdemeanor arestees are added to the number of samples to be tested it will crash the system or end up with the vast majority of samples sitting in frozen storage along with the felony samples.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

If they aren't using the samples, they why are they really collecting them? (or did I miss that part?)
    Lifetime member, Gun Owners of America (http://gunowners.org/)
    Lifetime member, Jews for the Preservation of Firearm Ownership (http://jpfo.org/)
    Member, Fraternal Order of Eagles since 8/02 (http://www.foe.com/)

Registering gun owners to prevent crime, is like registering Jews to prevent a HOLOCAUST.

I am not a lawyer in real life, or in play life. So anything I say is for debate and discussion only.

"The Department of Forensic Science is cutting back on the analysis of trace evidence of gun shot residue, hair, fibers, and chemicals--"

Virginia may have a hard time with cases relying upon circumstantial evidence.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan 5 View Post
    If they aren't using the samples, they why are they really collecting them? (or did I miss that part?)
    So they can frame you later ! Frame-ya-later !

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    I think a federal money dump should allow the system to be expanded. Hopefully we can get some laws to require every person put into the system at birth.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    I think a federal money dump should allow the system to be expanded. Hopefully we can get some laws to require every person put into the system at birth.
    There already have been federal money dumps. Results were about what you would expect.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    Hopefully we can get some laws to require every person put into the system at birth.
    I hope you're joking!

Or, a better question, are they (the hospitals) not already collecting this data in the name of advancing quality healthcare for mother and child. As has been proven, all databases are held by the NSA.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I hope you're joking!
    I don't know if it was a joke or not, but unfortunately, that IS the logical conclusion to this line of reasoning that one must eventually reach. A universal, world-wide DNA registry would almost guarantee no more unsolved crime, at least those for which it is common to leave DNA-laden evidence. DNA is the ultimate fingerprint. If they ever get the technology cost low enough to collect, process, and compare DNA data as quickly and easily as fingerprints, I don't think it could be stopped.

TFred

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    I don't know if it was a joke or not, but unfortunately, that IS the logical conclusion to this line of reasoning that one must eventually reach. A universal, world-wide DNA registry would almost guarantee no more unsolved crime, at least those for which it is common to leave DNA-laden evidence. DNA is the ultimate fingerprint. If they ever get the technology cost low enough to collect, process, and compare DNA data as quickly and easily as fingerprints, I don't think it could be stopped.

TFred
    DNA can be the ultimate fingerprint ... but they don't actually sequence your DNA for an ID....they just take a few genes as an ID; a method that has been shown to be greatly flawed.

The more you know and learn about gov't DNA-IDing processes the less you will like it.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    There already have been federal money dumps. Results were about what you would expect.

stay safe.
    As with just about everything the gubermant throws money at, it doesn't help.

There, I said it.

I cannot recall the States that are now requiring finger prints to obtain a DL but I believe there are more then a few. DNA swab will not be to far behind. Since most people have no problem surrendering their right to travel for a privilege to drive from the state, I see those same sheep having no problem summiting to finger printing or DNA swab's.... The State will argue that it is in the best interest of public safety and they will even charge a fee to do so...

My .02

CCJ
    " I detest hypocrites and their Hypocrisy" I support Liberty for each, for all, and forever".
    Ask yourself, Do you own Yourself?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by countryclubjoe View Post
    I cannot recall the States that are now requiring finger prints to obtain a DL but I believe there are more then a few. DNA swab will not be to far behind. Since most people have no problem surrendering their right to travel for a privilege to drive from the state, I see those same sheep having no problem summiting to finger printing or DNA swab's.... The State will argue that it is in the best interest of public safety and they will even charge a fee to do so...

My .02

CCJ
    "Currently, there are four states—California, Colorado, Georgia, and Texas—that require finger or thumb prints as part of the drivers licensing process. Hawaii does not require fingerprints but the City and County of Honolulu do. It appears that two other states—Alabama and Florida—at one time collected thumbprints for at least some portion of their license applicants, but they no longer do so.
    http://www.cga.ct.gov/2001/rpt/2001-R-0858.htm

Think Texas has ceased doing so.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    "Currently, there are four states—California, Colorado, Georgia, and Texas—that require finger or thumb prints as part of the drivers licensing process. Hawaii does not require fingerprints but the City and County of Honolulu do. It appears that two other states—Alabama and Florida—at one time collected thumbprints for at least some portion of their license applicants, but they no longer do so.
    http://www.cga.ct.gov/2001/rpt/2001-R-0858.htm

Think Texas has ceased doing so.
    Thanks Grape, for the heads up...

CCJ
    " I detest hypocrites and their Hypocrisy" I support Liberty for each, for all, and forever".

Banned
    You only need a license to drive, not travel.

Quote Originally Posted by countryclubjoe View Post

My .02

CCJ
    It is rare that "the state", ANY STATE, does anything in the best interest of the citizens. It is usually in the best interest of the gubermant and their deranged control goals.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    So they can frame you later ! Frame-ya-later !
    You laugh, but scientists have found a way to create a copy of your DNA from scratch, all they need is the image file showing them what parts go where and WHAM! Now the government can frame you even easy and more reliably than ever...
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

"According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Baked on Grease View Post
    You laugh, but scientists have found a way to create a copy of your DNA from scratch, all they need is the image file showing them what parts go where and WHAM! Now the government can frame you even easy and more reliably than ever...
    I did not include a smiley face ... meant to be serious. You and I agree on this point I think.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    You only need a license to drive, not travel.
    A license to drive what, a golf cart, a riding mower, a bicycle?

No license required unless driving for commerce...

My .02

CCJ

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Should be a license to drive a PoV.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

AFAIC if they are going to collect a persons DNA, then they should provide that person with the right to that information, if they wish to use it for medical or genealogical purposes.
    Otherwise is it possible this is a 4th amendment violation? Taking something from someone and using it for government purposes without providing some form of reasonable compensation?
    Lifetime member, Gun Owners of America (http://gunowners.org/)
    Lifetime member, Jews for the Preservation of Firearm Ownership (http://jpfo.org/)
    Member, Fraternal Order of Eagles since 8/02 (http://www.foe.com/)

Registering gun owners to prevent crime, is like registering Jews to prevent a HOLOCAUST.

I am not a lawyer in real life, or in play life. So anything I say is for debate and discussion only.

Quote Originally Posted by Logan 5 View Post
    AFAIC if they are going to collect a persons DNA, then they should provide that person with the right to that information, if they wish to use it for medical or genealogical purposes.
    BZZZZZ! You lose. The DNA ID test does not provide that sort of information. But I agree that one ought to be provided with a copy of the print-out without having to go through discovery.

Otherwise is it possible this is a 4th amendment violation? Taking something from someone and using it for government purposes without providing some form of reasonable compensation?
    BZZZZZ! You lose. That's the Takings Clause of the 5th Amendment. Go look it up. Then go look up Kelo v. City of New London and progeny.

In closing, it's AFAIAC. But now I'm just being picky.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit