• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Your DNA is ours to take.

TFred

All I needed to see was "Albemarle" to know that this was going to be about the Matthews case. Typical of those who hate freedom, use every heinous crime to make emotional pleas to surrender your rights, Fourth Amendment, in this case.

TFred

davidmcbeth

Banned
Off the top of my head, I believe that courts have approved DNA swabbing for anyone arrested for any crime.

And I also read a defense attny who got his client's DNA profile checked against the state's database that they used that "showed" a DNA match and that bounced back like 10 other matches besides his client. His client got off as well as a few other clients where DNA was the only IDing evidence.

How can this be when DNA is so person-specific? The guy did not have 10 identical twins. Well, they don't actually match your entire DNA, only parts of it.

IMO DNA analysis is even more flawed than fingerprinting analysis.

Oh, now courts won't require taking DNA results and requiring a full comparison to the databases anymore.

From my recollection....

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Why I am not worried

http://www.nbc12.com/story/27529896/cuts-to-forensic-lab-evidence-analysis

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...07dd82-0834-11e4-8615-4eddc1f1cffa_story.html

The 7,000 unprocessed kits mentioned in the WaPo story does not count the samples that have been sitting in frozen storage at the Forensics Lab.

If/when misdemeanor arestees are added to the number of samples to be tested it will crash the system or end up with the vast majority of samples sitting in frozen storage along with the felony samples.

stay safe.

Logan 5

If they aren't using the samples, they why are they really collecting them? (or did I miss that part?)

twoskinsonemanns

I think a federal money dump should allow the system to be expanded. Hopefully we can get some laws to require every person put into the system at birth.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I think a federal money dump should allow the system to be expanded. Hopefully we can get some laws to require every person put into the system at birth.

There already have been federal money dumps. Results were about what you would expect.

stay safe.

OC for ME

Or, a better question, are they (the hospitals) not already collecting this data in the name of advancing quality healthcare for mother and child. As has been proven, all databases are held by the NSA.

TFred

I hope you're joking!
I don't know if it was a joke or not, but unfortunately, that IS the logical conclusion to this line of reasoning that one must eventually reach. A universal, world-wide DNA registry would almost guarantee no more unsolved crime, at least those for which it is common to leave DNA-laden evidence. DNA is the ultimate fingerprint. If they ever get the technology cost low enough to collect, process, and compare DNA data as quickly and easily as fingerprints, I don't think it could be stopped.

TFred

davidmcbeth

Banned
I don't know if it was a joke or not, but unfortunately, that IS the logical conclusion to this line of reasoning that one must eventually reach. A universal, world-wide DNA registry would almost guarantee no more unsolved crime, at least those for which it is common to leave DNA-laden evidence. DNA is the ultimate fingerprint. If they ever get the technology cost low enough to collect, process, and compare DNA data as quickly and easily as fingerprints, I don't think it could be stopped.

TFred

DNA can be the ultimate fingerprint ... but they don't actually sequence your DNA for an ID....they just take a few genes as an ID; a method that has been shown to be greatly flawed.

The more you know and learn about gov't DNA-IDing processes the less you will like it.

countryclubjoe

I cannot recall the States that are now requiring finger prints to obtain a DL but I believe there are more then a few. DNA swab will not be to far behind. Since most people have no problem surrendering their right to travel for a privilege to drive from the state, I see those same sheep having no problem summiting to finger printing or DNA swab's.... The State will argue that it is in the best interest of public safety and they will even charge a fee to do so...

My .02

CCJ

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I cannot recall the States that are now requiring finger prints to obtain a DL but I believe there are more then a few. DNA swab will not be to far behind. Since most people have no problem surrendering their right to travel for a privilege to drive from the state, I see those same sheep having no problem summiting to finger printing or DNA swab's.... The State will argue that it is in the best interest of public safety and they will even charge a fee to do so...

My .02

CCJ
"Currently, there are four states—California, Colorado, Georgia, and Texas—that require finger or thumb prints as part of the drivers licensing process. Hawaii does not require fingerprints but the City and County of Honolulu do. It appears that two other states—Alabama and Florida—at one time collected thumbprints for at least some portion of their license applicants, but they no longer do so.
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2001/rpt/2001-R-0858.htm

Think Texas has ceased doing so.

countryclubjoe

"Currently, there are four states—California, Colorado, Georgia, and Texas—that require finger or thumb prints as part of the drivers licensing process. Hawaii does not require fingerprints but the City and County of Honolulu do. It appears that two other states—Alabama and Florida—at one time collected thumbprints for at least some portion of their license applicants, but they no longer do so.
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2001/rpt/2001-R-0858.htm

Think Texas has ceased doing so.

Thanks Grape, for the heads up...

CCJ

va_tazdad

My .02

CCJ

It is rare that "the state", ANY STATE, does anything in the best interest of the citizens. It is usually in the best interest of the gubermant and their deranged control goals.

Baked on Grease

So they can frame you later ! Frame-ya-later !
You laugh, but scientists have found a way to create a copy of your DNA from scratch, all they need is the image file showing them what parts go where and WHAM! Now the government can frame you even easy and more reliably than ever...