• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry on school property during private function.

jrj_51

Our FIRST Lego League competition is this weekend at Henry Ford II in Sterling Heights. Can a private organization ban/restrict firearms on school property during a non-school event? I will probably cause a bit of commotion by carrying there, but can they legally keep me from doing it? I apologize if this has been brought up before, but the thought just struck me a few minutes ago and I don't have much time to dig for answers before Saturday, so I'm turning to the wealth of knowledge here for help.

Tucker6900

I dont think they can. I believe the Royal Oak decision was based on similar circumstances, and maybe someone can find the link for that. But there was a festival on public property being put on by a private organization that tried to ban firearms. It was overturned. I dont know of case law for it or if it even went to court. But as far as I know, public property is public property, and no private organisation can say otherwise.

SpringerXDacp

I dont think they can. I believe the Royal Oak decision was based on similar circumstances, and maybe someone can find the link for that. But there was a festival on public property being put on by a private organization that tried to ban firearms. It was overturned. I dont know of case law for it or if it even went to court. But as far as I know, public property is public property, and no private organisation can say otherwise.

There was no court decision for the AB&E that I'm aware of. I believe, in the end, the promoters and Royal Oak just threw in the towel and allowed carry without much fuss. The legalities of a private organization prohibiting firearms/weapons when leasing public property is still up in the air as far as I know.

jrj_51

Just getting some time to sit down for this. Thanks for the replies.

I'm not familiar with this situation. What should I be searching for to find some info? This is something I was wondering before, but forgot about it. My dog and I were not allowed into the Blue Water Fest (I think that's what it's called) in Port Huron even though it was held on public roads that were blocked off. The security guard standing at the road block mentioned that my weapon wouldn't be welcome there, either, had I decided to come back without the dog. I was wondering how they could prevent me from using a public roadway or sidewalk simply because someone set up some stands to sell trinkets to tourists.
There was no court decision for the AB&E that I'm aware of. I believe, in the end, the promoters and Royal Oak just threw in the towel and allowed carry without much fuss. The legalities of a private organization prohibiting firearms/weapons when leasing public property is still up in the air as far as I know.

I'll be sure to post how it goes later.

jrj_51

Well, the kids did well. They placed 26th of 50+ in the actual robot portion of the competition and 7th overall, so we'll be headed to State in Flint next weekend. Apparently they announced that a parent was open carrying during the coaches meeting, but nobody bothered me or said anything. We are all really proud of the kids!