Thread: Readers react to moms' petition asking Fred Meyer to ban open-carry: What do you thin

Campaign Veteran

Readers react to moms' petition asking Fred Meyer to ban open-carry: What do you thin

Banned
    see the anti comments that they let get posted ...

I've been responding to the article posting on KOIN.com

I tried to cover Oregonlive.com, but comments were coming in to fast for me to keep up. Most of it there was name calling and trolls. Impossible to respond to without sinking to their level, so I went back to KION.com

At least on the KOIN.com article page the antis are kind of trying, at least it gives me something to rebuttal.
    "Guns are not the problem … crazy is the problem” ... “We cannot legislate our society to the craziest amongst us.” - Jon Stewart
    “I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." - Tolkien

I'm reading what I'm assuming (I know I know, shouldn't assume) are your replies over on KOIN.com. I don't know if I'd consider what some of those anti's are doing as trying. Openly denying or just outright ignoring the fact that calling 911 on a LAC open carrying a holstered firearm is a crime is a pretty clear indication of lack of any solid argument or maturity. Then one of them goes on to say that, in addition to it not being a crime, they're actually preventing that LAC OC'ing a legal, holstered handgun from committing a crime he's certainly intending on doing.

I really don't understand how so many people can get behind these types of arguments. There are more logical holes and misguided, emotionally charged rhetoric on display than there are stars in the sky.

"Guns are not the problem … crazy is the problem” ... “We cannot legislate our society to the craziest amongst us.” - Jon Stewart
    “I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." - Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSquid View Post
    I'm reading what I'm assuming (I know I know, shouldn't assume) are your replies over on KOIN.com... snip
    Yea, that's me. Facebook pic, sunglasses and cheesy beard with way too much gray.
    I'm doing the best I can with facts and logic. Even if it doesn't sink into their gray matter hopefully other readers will think about it. Keep ourselves out there so it's not a one sided echo chamber and if we come off with a calm, strong, logical argument when they look frantic, scared of their own shadows, and name calling... we might get fence sitters to view the issue in a legal / constitutional light.

... or I'm just killing my time instead of house cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sega View Post
    Yeah I noticed that too, voted. Pro-gun votes are cleaning house right now, 81.64% at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sega View Post
    Yea, that's me. Facebook pic, sunglasses and cheesy beard with way too much gray.
    I'm doing the best I can with facts and logic. Even if it doesn't sink into their gray matter hopefully other readers will think about it. Keep ourselves out there so it's not a one sided echo chamber and if we come off with a calm, strong, logical argument when they look frantic, scared of their own shadows, and name calling... we might get fence sitters to view the issue in a legal / constitutional light.

... or I'm just killing my time instead of house cleaning.
    Yeah I think you're doing an admirable job. Sadly, there are a great many who are under-educated on the subject, and those are the "swing votes" if you will. Whenever we get the chance to play the part of goodwill ambassador, we should.

Trust me, their terrible arguments do bite them in the ass. They sit all day in their echo chambers spouting the same tripe, until they believe it has the ring of truth. The problem is when they put it on display for everybody else to see; fence-sitters see childish behavior when it's displayed, and that's a big reason the antis have trouble getting genuine grassroots traction.

Frankly, I think if folks would stop OCing long guns in grocery stores they mad moms would go back to being ignored in short order.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Trust me, their terrible arguments do bite them in the ass. They sit all day in their echo chambers spouting the same tripe, until they believe it has the ring of truth. The problem is when they put it on display for everybody else to see; fence-sitters see childish behavior when it's displayed, and that's a big reason the antis have trouble getting genuine grassroots traction.

Frankly, I think if folks would stop OCing long guns in grocery stores they mad moms would go back to being ignored in short order.
    +1
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post

Think that there is very little OC of LG in grocery stores. That is just their present button to push - one is too many.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Campaign Veteran

Isn't this ironic - FM donates to non profit groups that include OFF