• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Readers react to moms' petition asking Fred Meyer to ban open-carry: What do you thin

Lord Sega

I've been responding to the article posting on KOIN.com

I tried to cover Oregonlive.com, but comments were coming in to fast for me to keep up. Most of it there was name calling and trolls. Impossible to respond to without sinking to their level, so I went back to KION.com

At least on the KOIN.com article page the antis are kind of trying, at least it gives me something to rebuttal.

BlueSquid

I'm reading what I'm assuming (I know I know, shouldn't assume) are your replies over on KOIN.com. I don't know if I'd consider what some of those anti's are doing as trying. Openly denying or just outright ignoring the fact that calling 911 on a LAC open carrying a holstered firearm is a crime is a pretty clear indication of lack of any solid argument or maturity. Then one of them goes on to say that, in addition to it not being a crime, they're actually preventing that LAC OC'ing a legal, holstered handgun from committing a crime he's certainly intending on doing.

I really don't understand how so many people can get behind these types of arguments. There are more logical holes and misguided, emotionally charged rhetoric on display than there are stars in the sky.

Lord Sega

I'm reading what I'm assuming (I know I know, shouldn't assume) are your replies over on KOIN.com... snip

Yea, that's me. Facebook pic, sunglasses and cheesy beard with way too much gray.
I'm doing the best I can with facts and logic. Even if it doesn't sink into their gray matter hopefully other readers will think about it. Keep ourselves out there so it's not a one sided echo chamber and if we come off with a calm, strong, logical argument when they look frantic, scared of their own shadows, and name calling... we might get fence sitters to view the issue in a legal / constitutional light.

... or I'm just killing my time instead of house cleaning.

BlueSquid

Yea, that's me. Facebook pic, sunglasses and cheesy beard with way too much gray.
I'm doing the best I can with facts and logic. Even if it doesn't sink into their gray matter hopefully other readers will think about it. Keep ourselves out there so it's not a one sided echo chamber and if we come off with a calm, strong, logical argument when they look frantic, scared of their own shadows, and name calling... we might get fence sitters to view the issue in a legal / constitutional light.

... or I'm just killing my time instead of house cleaning.

Yeah I think you're doing an admirable job. Sadly, there are a great many who are under-educated on the subject, and those are the "swing votes" if you will. Whenever we get the chance to play the part of goodwill ambassador, we should.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Trust me, their terrible arguments do bite them in the ass. They sit all day in their echo chambers spouting the same tripe, until they believe it has the ring of truth. The problem is when they put it on display for everybody else to see; fence-sitters see childish behavior when it's displayed, and that's a big reason the antis have trouble getting genuine grassroots traction.

Frankly, I think if folks would stop OCing long guns in grocery stores they mad moms would go back to being ignored in short order.

The Truth

Trust me, their terrible arguments do bite them in the ass. They sit all day in their echo chambers spouting the same tripe, until they believe it has the ring of truth. The problem is when they put it on display for everybody else to see; fence-sitters see childish behavior when it's displayed, and that's a big reason the antis have trouble getting genuine grassroots traction.

Frankly, I think if folks would stop OCing long guns in grocery stores they mad moms would go back to being ignored in short order.

+1

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Think that there is very little OC of LG in grocery stores. That is just their present button to push - one is too many.