• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Session 121 - (2015-2016) S 0105 (Constitutional Carry)

AngelMaker

S 0105 General Bill, By Bright
Summary: Not yet available
A BILL TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, TO ENACT THE "SOUTH CAROLINA CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY ACT OF 2015", TO AMEND SECTION 16-23-20, RELATING TO OFFENSES INVOLVING WEAPONS, TO CHANGE THE OFFENSE OF UNLAWFULLY CARRYING A HANDGUN TO CARRYING A HANDGUN WITH INTENT TO COMMIT A CRIME; TO REPEAL SECTION 16-23-460, RELATING TO THE OFFENSE OF CARRYING A CONCEALED WEAPON; TO AMEND SECTION 23-31-220, RELATING TO SIGNS AND THE RIGHT TO ALLOW OR PERMIT CONCEALED WEAPONS UPON PREMISES, TO REMOVE REFERENCES TO CONCEALED WEAPONS PERMITS AND TO ALLOW A PRIVATE EMPLOYER OR OWNER TO ALLOW OR PROHIBIT ANYONE FROM CARRYING A WEAPON UPON HIS PREMISES BY PROVIDING NOTICE WITH A SIGN; TO AMEND SECTION 23-31-225, RELATING TO CARRYING CONCEALED WEAPONS INTO RESIDENCES OR DWELLINGS, TO REMOVE REFERENCES TO CONCEALED WEAPONS PERMITS AND TO PROHIBIT ANY PERSON FROM ENTERING A RESIDENCE OR DWELLING OF ANOTHER WITH A WEAPON WITHOUT PERMISSION; AND TO AMEND SECTION 23-31-240, RELATING TO PERSONS WHO ARE ALLOWED TO CARRY A WEAPON ANYWHERE IN THE STATE WHILE ON DUTY, TO INCLUDE LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS.

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/billsearch.php?billnumbers=105&session=121&summary=B

OK everyone, it is back in again. Lets all get together and throw some weight into this and get it passed.

RK3369

maybe..........

Sometimes bills get proposed year after year ... they pass sometimes....sometimes

but I think this originally went to the Senate Judiciary committee, and the head of that committee is not in favor of throwing away the CWP system. I received a "canned" reply from him last year about this issue after sending an email question, and basically he sees the current CWP process as ensuring that not just anybody can get their hands on a gun. Based on his response and what happened to it the last time around, I don't hold out much hope for it this time.

In addition, on the news yesterday they were talking about a recently introduced bill to change the ability of someone convicted of Domestic Violence from owning/possessing a handgun. I think the proposal was a lifetime ban against ownership or possession upon conviction for a first time domestic violence charge. That change is probably going to get a lot more traction in the current legislative session than the constitutional carry bill will get. Even for no other reason, folks will argue against CC because it will make it easier for convicted domestic abusers to get guns. The CC bill doesn't look like it's on very good footing this session.

Last edited:

RK3369

perhaps...........

The current CWP system ensures a golden P4P goose in the rice-bowl.

SLED statistics show about 239,000 active CWP's in SC as of 12/31/13.

Renewal is $50 for 5 years
239,000 x $50 = $11,950,000 divided by 5 years = $2,390,000 per year in average renewal fees. Not sure what it really costs to run the permit system within SLED but I kinda doubt whether they're making a lot of money on it when you consider the staffing and other costs involved.

I tend to think that the current political "wind" is not blowing in favor of open carry because there are too many other issues on the table. On the one hand SC is one of the states with the worst record of gun related deaths tied to Domestic Violence, and there are a lot of folks right now screaming for something to change in that regard. That's why I think the issue of lifetime ownership ban for a convicted domestic violence offender is going to get through the legislative process more so than constitutional carry. If you try to put CC on the table right now, there will be a huge public outcry against it. The antis will be screaming "how can you propose unrestricted carry when we have women getting killed by guns every day of the year in this state?" It will just make the issue of getting CC through the process that much more of a problem, and I don't think any politician interested in running for another term is willing to tackle that one right now. The other problem is that our governor is a CWP holder and I don't think that SHE is going to come out against anything proposed to reduce the level of domestic violence against women in the next few legislative sessions. Just my $.02.

An interesting thing I just realized, the South is not as gun crazy as those Yankees think. We have 239,000 active permits in this state, and the population is about 4.5 million, that's only about 5% of the population with carry permits. Now you don't have to have a permit to own, but you do to carry concealed. I just found that to be interesting.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
SLED statistics show about 239,000 active CWP's in SC as of 12/31/13.

Renewal is $50 for 5 years
239,000 x $50 = $11,950,000 divided by 5 years = $2,390,000 per year in average renewal fees. Not sure what it really costs to run the permit system within SLED but I kinda doubt whether they're making a lot of money on it when you consider the staffing and other costs involved.

I tend to think that the current political "wind" is not blowing in favor of open carry because there are too many other issues on the table. On the one hand SC is one of the states with the worst record of gun related deaths tied to Domestic Violence, and there are a lot of folks right now screaming for something to change in that regard. That's why I think the issue of lifetime ownership ban for a convicted domestic violence offender is going to get through the legislative process more so than constitutional carry. If you try to put CC on the table right now, there will be a huge public outcry against it. The antis will be screaming "how can you propose unrestricted carry when we have women getting killed by guns every day of the year in this state?" It will just make the issue of getting CC through the process that much more of a problem, and I don't think any politician interested in running for another term is willing to tackle that one right now. The other problem is that our governor is a CWP holder and I don't think that SHE is going to come out against anything proposed to reduce the level of domestic violence against women in the next few legislative sessions. Just my $.02.

An interesting thing I just realized, the South is not as gun crazy as those Yankees think. We have 239,000 active permits in this state, and the population is about 4.5 million, that's only about 5% of the population with carry permits. Now you don't have to have a permit to own, but you do to carry concealed. I just found that to be interesting.
Just for clarification, CC normally refers to concealed carry.

OC - open carry
CC - concealed carry
noC - no carry
conC - constitutional carry

OC for ME

SC is infested with FUDDs...this is the problem. Most of my family and many friends are supportive of the 2A because they "own guns."