View Poll Results: What's your verdict?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would pardon Mark Wahlberg.

    4 15.38%
  • No, I would not pardon Mark Wahlberg.

    22 84.62%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 52

Thread: Pardon Mark Wahlberg or not? Please read article before voting

  1. #1
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,434

    Pardon Mark Wahlberg or not? Please read article before voting

    News Story

    Would you pardon Mark Wahlberg, yes or no? Why?

    From the article:

    His pardon application includes the following ambition: "My hope is that, if I receive a pardon, troubled youths will see this as an inspiration and motivation that they too can turn their lives around."

    Interesting logic. It works better, though, with this rewrite: "My hope is that, by not seeking a pardon, troubled youths will know that their actions have repercussions, even if they later become wealthy celebrities. Although this wonderful country provides plenty of opportunity for them to turn their lives around, they can never use their renown to erase the indelible consequences of their decisions."
    I no longer have any confidence in the moderation or administration of this forum. Nonetheless, the First STILL protects the Second, and the Second protects the First! Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and other founding documents. If you're going to do anything at all, do it right!

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,450
    What does a pardon give him that he does not already have/connot get (except a clean criminal record)?

    Can you be pardoned for a misdemeanor?

    http://www.mass.gov/eopss/law-enforc...-overview.html

    Pardons

    A pardon is a forgiveness of the offender's underlying offense. Parole Board Members first review the case to assess whether or not it warrants a hearing. If they determine that a hearing should be held, Board Members conduct the hearing and the Full Board then makes a recommendation to the governor.

    To be granted a pardon, a petitioner must have demonstrated "good citizenship," as well as a specific, verified, and compelling need for a pardon. In making its decision, the Board views evidence, including support for the petitioner in the institution and community, his or her accomplishments and achievements, and the nature and extent of opposition to the petition.(emphasis added)
    Looks like "I want to feel good about myself" may not make the cut as a specific, verified, and compelling need.

    But based on his statement of why he desires a pardon - I vote not no but Hell No!

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,760
    Yes*. But more because I think anyone who turns their life around should be able to get their rights back. While it isn't the same as having their rights restored to them once they have served their punishment, it is the closest thing to restoring one's rights.

    *This is assuming that his crimes are preventing him from exercising any of his rights. If his crimes don't preclude him from exercising any rights then I don't see any reason for the need to pardon him.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    16,172
    A rich guy wants to clear his name? Ha!

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    650
    "turned his life around"????????


    Someone needs to ask him how many boys he "touched" while on the Board of Directors of Jerry Sandusky's Second Mile foundation.


    Mark Wahlberg is a Satanic piece of garbage, that has made his $$$$$ off of violence and guns yet wants none of us to possess them.

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,450
    Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    Yes*. But more because I think anyone who turns their life around should be able to get their rights back. While it isn't the same as having their rights restored to them once they have served their punishment, it is the closest thing to restoring one's rights.

    *This is assuming that his crimes are preventing him from exercising any of his rights. If his crimes don't preclude him from exercising any rights then I don't see any reason for the need to pardon him.
    http://theweek.com/article/index/273...ot-be-pardoned

    Wahlberg was arrested, convicted, and spent 45 days in jail....
    I don't think anybody does only 45 days for a felony conviction - especially when they are a nobody punk kid with no connections or money. Sounds like he was treated like an adult at age 16 - too bad he can't behave like one now.

    Full disclosure - the burgers at his family's place are a step above "Meh!" so I'm not what you would call a Marky Mark hater.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,450
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    The definition of felon is liable to a year and a day of incarceration, not necessarily incarcerated, including supervision and intervention.
    Do you have details on what he was actually charged with? Cite to the specific law, please.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  8. #8
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,760
    No.
    Let him work with children, let him turn their lives around. Let him prove himself Then I'll consider a pardon for what's been done.

    If anyone deserves any sort of pardon, it's Robert Downy Jr., who after spending some time in prison for drug related charges has become a completely different person (IMO).

  9. #9
    Regular Member Preyn2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Burnet, Tx
    Posts
    13
    He committed racial hate crimes resulting in serious injuries and spent 45 days in jail? Cry me a river.

    I like his movies. That doesn't mean I think he should be pardoned.

  10. #10
    Regular Member The Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Henrico
    Posts
    1,923
    He absolutely deserves no pardon. Not one, but two separate random acts of racially motivated violence, one of them resulting in permanent disability. These were not legitimate fights. These were hate crimes. It would be a horrible example to kids if he was pardoned IMO.

    "My vicious attacks were not racially motivated."

    "What did you say right before you took the man's right eye from him for no reason?"

    "I called him a Gook and 'slant eyes.'"

    GTFO Wahlberg.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

    μολὼν λαβέ

    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,760
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    http://theweek.com/article/index/273...ot-be-pardoned



    I don't think anybody does only 45 days for a felony conviction - especially when they are a nobody punk kid with no connections or money. Sounds like he was treated like an adult at age 16 - too bad he can't behave like one now.

    Full disclosure - the burgers at his family's place are a step above "Meh!" so I'm not what you would call a Marky Mark hater.

    stay safe.
    But can you show me that this conviction doesn't prevent him from exercising his rights? I see that you don't have the info though. This is also why I put the asterisk. Likewise I could have had my statement be a conditional "no" with the asterisk stating that I'm assuming his crime isn't precluding him from exercising any rights since the time in jail was so short.

    So again, I have no issue with him being pardoned if it is affecting his ability to exercise his rights. Likewise I see no reason to pardon him if it doesn't affect his ability to exercise his rights. I don't think it should take a pardon for him to be able to exercise his rights (if it is affecting them), but that is a different subject.

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,450
    Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    But can you show me that this conviction doesn't prevent him from exercising his rights? I see that you don't have the info though. This is also why I put the asterisk. Likewise I could have had my statement be a conditional "no" with the asterisk stating that I'm assuming his crime isn't precluding him from exercising any rights since the time in jail was so short.

    So again, I have no issue with him being pardoned if it is affecting his ability to exercise his rights. Likewise I see no reason to pardon him if it doesn't affect his ability to exercise his rights. I don't think it should take a pardon for him to be able to exercise his rights (if it is affecting them), but that is a different subject.
    OK, I may need to apologize for not doing my research and shooting off at the lip.

    http://www.gunssavelife.com/?p=10699

    And yet there is this bit of conflicting info:

    http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywo...-1988-Assaults

    At 16 years-old, while under the influence of drugs and alcohol, Wahlberg attempted to steal two cases of alcohol from a Vietnamese man outside of a Boston-area convenience store.
    A Suffolk Superior Court sentencing memorandum states that Wahlberg shouted racial slurs at the man, and another man he encountered during the incident.
    He reportedly hit both men in the head with a wooden stick during his escape, reports Boston.com.
    Wahlberg was eventually arrested with a small amount of marijuana in his pocket, convicted, and spent 45 days in jail.
    He acknowledged the facts of the case in his application and stated, “the trial judge found me guilty of these two criminal contempt counts.”
    So which is it?

    Then there is the actual petition for a pardon: http://www.necn.com/news/new-england...284795961.html

    In his petition, he outlines the incidents that led to his arrest, saying that he attempted to steal two cases of alcohol from a man who was standing outside of a convenience store near his home around 9 p.m. He said he hit the man on the head with a wooden stick, and then ran down the block to evade police. While attempting to avoid police, he said he punched another man in the face.
    A single episode? I don't think that word means what you think it means.

    As for the guy he blinded? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...er-person.html

    He then fled the scene and approached a second man, Hoa Trinh, put his arm around his shoulder and asked him to help him hide.
    But once police passed, Wahlberg hit him, leaving him blind in one eye.
    So apparently he may be a prohibited person. And as an actor he has made a lot of films that involved touching "guns". But knowing a few folks that are in the prop business I've been assured that at least ever since Bruce Lee's kid blew his brains out with a blank they have not been using "real" guns. Also I've been told that "real" guns do not provide the visual effect desired for films and that CGI does.

    Being a prohibitted person does not seem to have interferred with his ability to secure and carry out acting roles that involve the "use" of guns. That brings us back to "a specific, verified, and compelling need for a pardon" and I do not see one there. Additionally, if such a compelling need had existed I have the feeling his agent would have hired lawyers a long time ago to initiate the executive clemency process.

    I know that for the most part it's a crappy source of accurate info but I give you

    http://www.people.com/article/mark-w...-1988-assaults

    Mark Wahlberg is asking Massachusetts for a pardon for assaults he committed in 1988 when he was a troubled teenager in Boston, saying he has dedicated himself to becoming a better person in his adult years so he can be a role model to his children and others.
    That's nice and all (as the kids say) but I don't see it as compelling.

    I have not engaged in philanthropic efforts in order to make people forget about my past," Wahlberg says in the application. "To the contrary, I want people to remember my past so that I can serve as an example of how lives can be turned around and how people can be redeemed."

    "Rather than ignore or deny my troubled past, I have used the public spotlight to speak openly about the mistakes I made as a teenager so that others do not make those same mistakes," he says.
    Making his crimes go away will help people remember his past just how?

    "Curiouser and curiouser" say Alice and I.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  13. #13
    Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,528
    In Massachusetts there is no set time of incarceration for criminal contempt. You are at the judges mercy of how much time you will spend in jail. It's an undefined crime, statutorily speaking. Federal law generally says "has not been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year." Most states require a trial for a criminal contempt charge. This being a felony? I'm not so sure it is.

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,450
    Marky Mark wants an LA concealed carry card?

    Even more "Not only no but ....!"

    Let him volunteer as a Reservist who sits at a desk, files stuff, or makes coffee runs. No badge, no lights/siren and no backhanded CCW permit.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  15. #15
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    11,101
    Not sure how MW and his situation warrants this much attention.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    16,172
    Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    In Massachusetts there is no set time of incarceration for criminal contempt. You are at the judges mercy of how much time you will spend in jail. It's an undefined crime, statutorily speaking. Federal law generally says "has not been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year." Most states require a trial for a criminal contempt charge. This being a felony? I'm not so sure it is.
    Anyone not put into a cell for contempt has not been a good citizen...

  17. #17
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    16,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    http://www.tmz.com/2014/12/08/mark-w...serve-officer/

    The “Lone Survivor” actor is asking the Massachusetts Parole Board to expunge a felony assault conviction from 1988, in which he partially blinded a Vietnamese man and knocked another Vietnamese man unconscious during a street attack when he was 16.

    Mark Wahlberg wants clean record so he can be a cop: TMZ report TWT

    Mr. Wahlberg, now 43, said he was a misguided teen and has since grown and matured. He wishes to join a Los Angeles-area police force as a reservist, but he can’t carry a handgun due to his felon status,

    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...e-can-be-a-co/

    It appers to many of us that is about the right behavior for that profession.......
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  18. #18
    Regular Member The Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Henrico
    Posts
    1,923
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Not sure how MW and his situation warrants this much attention.
    Because he's Mark Wahlberg, he's a convicted felon of the violent kind who wishes to have his rights restored, and he's clearly kind of an idiot.

    But on the other hand, it has been 27 years-ish since he was charged... eh it's more about him being a hypocrite than anything for me.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

    μολὼν λαβέ

    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Shovelhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NO VA, ,
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    http://www.tmz.com/2014/12/08/mark-w...serve-officer/

    Mark Wahlberg wants clean record so he can be a cop: TMZ report TWT
    Mr. Wahlberg, now 43, said he was a misguided teen and has since grown and matured. He wishes to join a Los Angeles-area police force as a reservist, but he can’t carry a handgun due to his felon status,
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...e-can-be-a-co/
    And Yet.........this same person has stated:
    “I would love it if they could take all the guns away. Unfortunately, you can’t do that so you hope that good people in the world have them to protect the people who can’t protect themselves,” Mark Wahlberg bemoaned in the Herald Sun in 2007. “Certainly, I haven’t used a gun anywhere other than on a movie set and I’d like to see if we could take them all away. It would be a beautiful thing.”

    http://www.celebuzz.com/photos/gun-c...rk-wahlberg-6/
    Last edited by Shovelhead; 12-08-2014 at 08:50 PM.
    Assault Weapon (N) “Any firearm whose design disturbs the sleep of progressive politicians.”.

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    16,172
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    Because he's Mark Wahlberg, he's a convicted felon of the violent kind who wishes to have his rights restored, and he's clearly kind of an idiot.

    But on the other hand, it has been 27 years-ish since he was charged... eh it's more about him being a hypocrite than anything for me.
    He's Mark Freaking Wahlberg .. lol no pardon for you-ee

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    But knowing a few folks that are in the prop business I've been assured that at least ever since Bruce Lee's kid blew his brains out with a blank they have not been using "real" guns.
    Which one of Bruce Lee's kids "blew his brains out with a blank"?

  22. #22
    Regular Member Logan 5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    663
    Yeah, kinda like that cop that's in prison for his corruption and now asks to be released 'cause he found Jesus.
    http://cnmnewz.com/ex-police-chief-w...r-finding-god/
    Lifetime member, Gun Owners of America (http://gunowners.org/)
    Lifetime member, Jews for the Preservation of Firearm Ownership (http://jpfo.org/)
    Member, Fraternal Order of Eagles since 8/02 (http://www.foe.com/)

    Registering gun owners to prevent crime, is like registering Jews to prevent a HOLOCAUST.

    I am not a lawyer in real life, or in play life. So anything I say is for debate and discussion only.

  23. #23
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    11,101
    Brandon Lee.

    Or the IL trooper who killed those two sisters wants his DL back cuz the hardship w/o one is too much of a hardship.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    4,061
    I believe that every man allowed to walk the streets unsupervised ought to have his rights respected, all of them.

    I think this should happen as a matter of course and not require any petitions for restoration of rights, pardons, etc. If a man can't be trusted to buy and carry a gun, he ought not be released from prison. And certainly not after 45 days.

    I think a rich liberal is no less entitled to his rights than a poor conservative or middle class libertarian.

    It sounds like he committed a very serious crime that probably should have drawn more than 45 days in jail.

    On the other hand, has he ever re-offended? If not, it appears the jail time served the purpose of changing behavior (rehabilitation) which I think is one of the most important functions of jail. It is human nature to want revenge. I'm not so sure how much good that actually serves. Some retributive justice is appropriate but kind of theoretical. Protecting society from criminals, and persuading those criminals to change their conduct to respect others' rights methinks are the most important, most valid reasons for punishment. Acting as a deterrence against others who might be inclined to the same criminal conduct is also valuable. Recompensing the victim in whatever way possible is also a fine idea, but almost never happens.

    Bottom line, whatever the guy did was some 25 years ago and it looks like he has a clean record since. His political and social views really should have no bearing on this. Fundamentally I believe in repentance (change) and redemption. I do not believe in lifetime scarlet letters. While these are religious beliefs for me, I believe that in total, our nation believes the same thing from a more secular perspective.

    Yes, actions have consequences and price must be paid. But having paid the prescribed price (even if it was a substandard price at the time) and having gone on to live a law-abiding life for decades since, the government should no longer be placing limits on his exercise of fundamental rights. He can speak freely, assemble, have access to an attorney, can assert his 4th and 5th amendment rights. In a growing number of jurisdictions he can vote and/or run for and hold public office. Do we, of all people, really want to be part of suggesting that the 2nd amendment is a 2nd class right that can be infringed when all other rights are operative?

    My only hesitation is that it is a shame he might get something most others with very similar life stories don't get simply because he can afford the lawyers and publicity.

    Charles

  25. #25
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    11,101
    There is a different thread re this rehabilitation issue. When a citizen "pays" his debt to "society" he must not be disbarred his rights. "Prison" is not a institution that rehabilitates, the facts are clear on this. Who are we to prejudge? Hold to account for acts that have been committed.

    I view a citizen who has several citations for speeding as not qualified for further operation of a motor vehicle on our public roads.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •