• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pardon Mark Wahlberg or not? Please read article before voting

What's your verdict?

• Yes, I would pardon Mark Wahlberg.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • No, I would not pardon Mark Wahlberg.

Votes: 20 83.3%

• Total voters

since9

Campaign Veteran
News Story

Would you pardon Mark Wahlberg, yes or no? Why?

From the article:

His pardon application includes the following ambition: "My hope is that, if I receive a pardon, troubled youths will see this as an inspiration and motivation that they too can turn their lives around."

Interesting logic. It works better, though, with this rewrite: "My hope is that, by not seeking a pardon, troubled youths will know that their actions have repercussions, even if they later become wealthy celebrities. Although this wonderful country provides plenty of opportunity for them to turn their lives around, they can never use their renown to erase the indelible consequences of their decisions."

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
What does a pardon give him that he does not already have/connot get (except a clean criminal record)?

Can you be pardoned for a misdemeanor?

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/law-enfor...lemency-unit/executive-clemency-overview.html

Pardons

A pardon is a forgiveness of the offender's underlying offense. Parole Board Members first review the case to assess whether or not it warrants a hearing. If they determine that a hearing should be held, Board Members conduct the hearing and the Full Board then makes a recommendation to the governor.

To be granted a pardon, a petitioner must have demonstrated "good citizenship," as well as a specific, verified, and compelling need for a pardon. In making its decision, the Board views evidence, including support for the petitioner in the institution and community, his or her accomplishments and achievements, and the nature and extent of opposition to the petition.(emphasis added)

Looks like "I want to feel good about myself" may not make the cut as a specific, verified, and compelling need.

But based on his statement of why he desires a pardon - I vote not no but Hell No!

stay safe.

Aknazer

Yes*. But more because I think anyone who turns their life around should be able to get their rights back. While it isn't the same as having their rights restored to them once they have served their punishment, it is the closest thing to restoring one's rights.

*This is assuming that his crimes are preventing him from exercising any of his rights. If his crimes don't preclude him from exercising any rights then I don't see any reason for the need to pardon him.

Jeff. State

Banned
"turned his life around"????????

Someone needs to ask him how many boys he "touched" while on the Board of Directors of Jerry Sandusky's Second Mile foundation.

Mark Wahlberg is a Satanic piece of garbage, that has made his $$$$$ off of violence and guns yet wants none of us to possess them.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Yes*. But more because I think anyone who turns their life around should be able to get their rights back. While it isn't the same as having their rights restored to them once they have served their punishment, it is the closest thing to restoring one's rights.

*This is assuming that his crimes are preventing him from exercising any of his rights. If his crimes don't preclude him from exercising any rights then I don't see any reason for the need to pardon him.

http://theweek.com/article/index/273108/mark-wahlberg-should-not-be-pardoned

Wahlberg was arrested, convicted, and spent 45 days in jail....

I don't think anybody does only 45 days for a felony conviction - especially when they are a nobody punk kid with no connections or money. Sounds like he was treated like an adult at age 16 - too bad he can't behave like one now.

Full disclosure - the burgers at his family's place are a step above "Meh!" so I'm not what you would call a Marky Mark hater.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The definition of felon is liable to a year and a day of incarceration, not necessarily incarcerated, including supervision and intervention.

Do you have details on what he was actually charged with? Cite to the specific law, please.

stay safe.

Fallschirjmäger

No.
Let him work with children, let him turn their lives around. Let him prove himself Then I'll consider a pardon for what's been done.

If anyone deserves any sort of pardon, it's Robert Downy Jr., who after spending some time in prison for drug related charges has become a completely different person (IMO).

Preyn2

He committed racial hate crimes resulting in serious injuries and spent 45 days in jail? Cry me a river.

I like his movies. That doesn't mean I think he should be pardoned.

The Truth

He absolutely deserves no pardon. Not one, but two separate random acts of racially motivated violence, one of them resulting in permanent disability. These were not legitimate fights. These were hate crimes. It would be a horrible example to kids if he was pardoned IMO.

"My vicious attacks were not racially motivated."

"What did you say right before you took the man's right eye from him for no reason?"

"I called him a Gook and 'slant eyes.'"

GTFO Wahlberg.

Aknazer

http://theweek.com/article/index/273108/mark-wahlberg-should-not-be-pardoned

I don't think anybody does only 45 days for a felony conviction - especially when they are a nobody punk kid with no connections or money. Sounds like he was treated like an adult at age 16 - too bad he can't behave like one now.

Full disclosure - the burgers at his family's place are a step above "Meh!" so I'm not what you would call a Marky Mark hater.

stay safe.

But can you show me that this conviction doesn't prevent him from exercising his rights? I see that you don't have the info though. This is also why I put the asterisk. Likewise I could have had my statement be a conditional "no" with the asterisk stating that I'm assuming his crime isn't precluding him from exercising any rights since the time in jail was so short.

So again, I have no issue with him being pardoned if it is affecting his ability to exercise his rights. Likewise I see no reason to pardon him if it doesn't affect his ability to exercise his rights. I don't think it should take a pardon for him to be able to exercise his rights (if it is affecting them), but that is a different subject.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
But can you show me that this conviction doesn't prevent him from exercising his rights? I see that you don't have the info though. This is also why I put the asterisk. Likewise I could have had my statement be a conditional "no" with the asterisk stating that I'm assuming his crime isn't precluding him from exercising any rights since the time in jail was so short.

So again, I have no issue with him being pardoned if it is affecting his ability to exercise his rights. Likewise I see no reason to pardon him if it doesn't affect his ability to exercise his rights. I don't think it should take a pardon for him to be able to exercise his rights (if it is affecting them), but that is a different subject.

OK, I may need to apologize for not doing my research and shooting off at the lip.

http://www.gunssavelife.com/?p=10699

And yet there is this bit of conflicting info:

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2014/12/05/Mark-Wahlberg-Seeking-Pardon-For-1988-Assaults

At 16 years-old, while under the influence of drugs and alcohol, Wahlberg attempted to steal two cases of alcohol from a Vietnamese man outside of a Boston-area convenience store.
A Suffolk Superior Court sentencing memorandum states that Wahlberg shouted racial slurs at the man, and another man he encountered during the incident.
He reportedly hit both men in the head with a wooden stick during his escape, reports Boston.com.
Wahlberg was eventually arrested with a small amount of marijuana in his pocket, convicted, and spent 45 days in jail.
He acknowledged the facts of the case in his application and stated, “the trial judge found me guilty of these two criminal contempt counts.”

So which is it?

Then there is the actual petition for a pardon: http://www.necn.com/news/new-englan...ks-Pardon-in-1988-Assault-Case-284795961.html

In his petition, he outlines the incidents that led to his arrest, saying that he attempted to steal two cases of alcohol from a man who was standing outside of a convenience store near his home around 9 p.m. He said he hit the man on the head with a wooden stick, and then ran down the block to evade police. While attempting to avoid police, he said he punched another man in the face.

A single episode? I don't think that word means what you think it means.

As for the guy he blinded? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tly-blind-one-eye-claiming-better-person.html

He then fled the scene and approached a second man, Hoa Trinh, put his arm around his shoulder and asked him to help him hide.
But once police passed, Wahlberg hit him, leaving him blind in one eye.

So apparently he may be a prohibited person. And as an actor he has made a lot of films that involved touching "guns". But knowing a few folks that are in the prop business I've been assured that at least ever since Bruce Lee's kid blew his brains out with a blank they have not been using "real" guns. Also I've been told that "real" guns do not provide the visual effect desired for films and that CGI does.

Being a prohibitted person does not seem to have interferred with his ability to secure and carry out acting roles that involve the "use" of guns. That brings us back to "a specific, verified, and compelling need for a pardon" and I do not see one there. Additionally, if such a compelling need had existed I have the feeling his agent would have hired lawyers a long time ago to initiate the executive clemency process.

I know that for the most part it's a crappy source of accurate info but I give you

http://www.people.com/article/mark-wahlberg-pardon-1988-assaults

Mark Wahlberg is asking Massachusetts for a pardon for assaults he committed in 1988 when he was a troubled teenager in Boston, saying he has dedicated himself to becoming a better person in his adult years so he can be a role model to his children and others.

That's nice and all (as the kids say) but I don't see it as compelling.

I have not engaged in philanthropic efforts in order to make people forget about my past," Wahlberg says in the application. "To the contrary, I want people to remember my past so that I can serve as an example of how lives can be turned around and how people can be redeemed."

"Rather than ignore or deny my troubled past, I have used the public spotlight to speak openly about the mistakes I made as a teenager so that others do not make those same mistakes," he says.

Making his crimes go away will help people remember his past just how?

"Curiouser and curiouser" say Alice and I.

stay safe.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
In Massachusetts there is no set time of incarceration for criminal contempt. You are at the judges mercy of how much time you will spend in jail. It's an undefined crime, statutorily speaking. Federal law generally says "has not been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year." Most states require a trial for a criminal contempt charge. This being a felony? I'm not so sure it is.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Marky Mark wants an LA concealed carry card?

Even more "Not only no but ....!"

Let him volunteer as a Reservist who sits at a desk, files stuff, or makes coffee runs. No badge, no lights/siren and no backhanded CCW permit.

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
In Massachusetts there is no set time of incarceration for criminal contempt. You are at the judges mercy of how much time you will spend in jail. It's an undefined crime, statutorily speaking. Federal law generally says "has not been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year." Most states require a trial for a criminal contempt charge. This being a felony? I'm not so sure it is.

Anyone not put into a cell for contempt has not been a good citizen...:cool::cool:

sudden valley gunner

http://www.tmz.com/2014/12/08/mark-wahlberg-pardon-felony-assault-record-reserve-officer/

The “Lone Survivor” actor is asking the Massachusetts Parole Board to expunge a felony assault conviction from 1988, in which he partially blinded a Vietnamese man and knocked another Vietnamese man unconscious during a street attack when he was 16.

Mark Wahlberg wants clean record so he can be a cop: TMZ report TWT

Mr. Wahlberg, now 43, said he was a misguided teen and has since grown and matured. He wishes to join a Los Angeles-area police force as a reservist, but he can’t carry a handgun due to his felon status,

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/dec/8/mark-wahlberg-wants-clean-record-so-he-can-be-a-co/

It appers to many of us that is about the right behavior for that profession.......

The Truth

Not sure how MW and his situation warrants this much attention.

Because he's Mark Wahlberg, he's a convicted felon of the violent kind who wishes to have his rights restored, and he's clearly kind of an idiot.

But on the other hand, it has been 27 years-ish since he was charged... eh it's more about him being a hypocrite than anything for me.

Shovelhead

http://www.tmz.com/2014/12/08/mark-wahlberg-pardon-felony-assault-record-reserve-officer/

Mark Wahlberg wants clean record so he can be a cop: TMZ report TWT
Mr. Wahlberg, now 43, said he was a misguided teen and has since grown and matured. He wishes to join a Los Angeles-area police force as a reservist, but he can’t carry a handgun due to his felon status,
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/dec/8/mark-wahlberg-wants-clean-record-so-he-can-be-a-co/

And Yet.........this same person has stated:
“I would love it if they could take all the guns away. Unfortunately, you can’t do that so you hope that good people in the world have them to protect the people who can’t protect themselves,” Mark Wahlberg bemoaned in the Herald Sun in 2007. “Certainly, I haven’t used a gun anywhere other than on a movie set and I’d like to see if we could take them all away. It would be a beautiful thing.”

http://www.celebuzz.com/photos/gun-control-where-do-stars-stand-on-firearms/mark-wahlberg-6/

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Because he's Mark Wahlberg, he's a convicted felon of the violent kind who wishes to have his rights restored, and he's clearly kind of an idiot.

But on the other hand, it has been 27 years-ish since he was charged... eh it's more about him being a hypocrite than anything for me.

He's Mark Freaking Wahlberg .. lol no pardon for you-ee