Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 144

Thread: Rem 700 Recall.. About time.

  1. #1
    Regular Member Primus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    3,939

    Rem 700 Recall.. About time.

    http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compa...oPPI?ocid=iehp

    "America's oldest gun manufacturer, Remington, has agreed to replace millions of triggers in its most popular product—the Model 700 rifle. The company has been riddled for years with claims the gun can fire without the trigger being pulled, often with deadly results."
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

  2. #2
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    11,729
    Mehhhh. Any gun can only have deadly consequences if it is pointed at a living object.

    ND's are always the fault of somebody else, or equipment. Just easier than admitting screwing up.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  3. #3
    Regular Member J_dazzle23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    643
    That's awesome. I've heard of people scoping in on a deer and the gun going off when it wasn't supposed to and they end up with a gutshot animal. Also guys hunting with it slung over their shoulder and the gun just fires into the ground.

    Sure, don't point your gun at something you don't want to shoot. But if I spend my hard earned money on a rifle, it better dang well go off only when I hit that trigger.

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,442
    A friend demonstrated the malfunction to me with his 700. I made up my mind then and there never to buy Remington.

    The problem is real, folks. Wonder why it took them so incredibly damned long to admit it.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. OO-RAH!!! Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and other founding documents.

    As for President Trump, he's getting the job done.

  5. #5
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    11,729
    I would imagine that the new trigger will not be able to be tampered with, hence ending the problem.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    16,172
    I had that happen once when I was hunting cows .... luckily I was able to reload and get the beast. Hamburgers for lunch that day.

    Any mechanical reason for the issue?

  7. #7
    Regular Member J_dazzle23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    643
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I had that happen once when I was hunting cows .... luckily I was able to reload and get the beast. Hamburgers for lunch that day.

    Any mechanical reason for the issue?
    It's a magical hunting unicorn.

    Srs though, my feedback on it has been if a round is chambered, safety on, and trigger pressed at all, the gun fires when the safety is flipped off. That's what gutshot an animal for a friend of mine, while he was scoping in on it.

    I do know many snipers in the military use the 700 platform, but it gets broken down and rebuilt to whatever specs they have.

    I've heard it's something to do with the sear in the trigger mechanism, but I'm no gunsmith so that's about all I know.

  8. #8
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    11,729
    Quote Originally Posted by J_dazzle23 View Post
    It's a magical hunting unicorn.

    Srs though, my feedback on it has been if a round is chambered, safety on, and trigger pressed at all, the gun fires when the safety is flipped off. That's what gutshot an animal for a friend of mine, while he was scoping in on it.

    I do know many snipers in the military use the 700 platform, but it gets broken down and rebuilt to whatever specs they have.

    I've heard it's something to do with the sear in the trigger mechanism, but I'm no gunsmith so that's about all I know.
    There was a video somewhere on this, and the only way to make the 700 act like the claims was to fiddle with it to lighten the trigger pull. Seems the logical conclusion is to make a trigger with ONE setting that cannot be fiddled with. If numpties want to fiddle with it. The military does fine with some fantastic shots WITHOUT making the trigger lighter.

    A 1911 some years back killed a man with a ND that fired over a berm, because the owner had lightened the trigger to ridicules pull. Stupidity has been forced on us by the PC crowd who believe nothing is ever their fault. One of the posters on HPFF shot himself in the leg, and then came on the site to bash Hi Points, he got no sympathy, he deserved none. Anybody that does anything with a gun while pointed at a non target, is a moron. That is why we have warnings on coffee cups, because people are stupid, and they are to stupid to admit it.

    http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com...charge-312031/

    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 12-06-2014 at 09:17 AM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  9. #9
    Regular Member The Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Henrico
    Posts
    1,923
    I've been shooting a Model 700 ADL bolt action 30.06 for over 20 years, no problems. I've messed with the trigger and the safety a ton on the range too to see if I could get it to go off to no avail. Maybe I can find a 300 Mag super cheap now that no one wants em.

    Shot my Dad's 700 ADL beginning when I was about 8 years old and got mine when I was 10. Neither gun has ever had issues. We even accidentally ran over my Dad's with a 1/2 ton truck and it still shot flawlessly.
    Last edited by The Truth; 12-06-2014 at 12:37 PM.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

    μολὼν λαβέ

    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

  10. #10
    Regular Member x1wildone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eagle, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    There was a video somewhere on this, and the only way to make the 700 act like the claims was to fiddle with it to lighten the trigger pull. Seems the logical conclusion is to make a trigger with ONE setting that cannot be fiddled with. If numpties want to fiddle with it. The military does fine with some fantastic shots WITHOUT making the trigger lighter.

    A 1911 some years back killed a man with a ND that fired over a berm, because the owner had lightened the trigger to ridicules pull. Stupidity has been forced on us by the PC crowd who believe nothing is ever their fault. One of the posters on HPFF shot himself in the leg, and then came on the site to bash Hi Points, he got no sympathy, he deserved none. Anybody that does anything with a gun while pointed at a non target, is a moron. That is why we have warnings on coffee cups, because people are stupid, and they are to stupid to admit it.

    http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com...charge-312031/

    W W Can you tell us why you feel the need to defend the remington 700?

  11. #11
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    11,729
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    I've been shooting a Model 700 ADL bolt action 30.06 for over 20 years, no problems. I've messed with the trigger and the safety a ton on the range too to see if I could get it to go off to no avail. Maybe I can find a 300 Mag super cheap now that no one wants em.

    Shot my Dad's 700 ADL beginning when I was about 8 years old and got mine when I was 10. Neither gun has ever had issues. We even accidentally ran over my Dad's with a 1/2 ton truck and it still shot flawlessly.
    Most people who have ND's are unwilling to admit they are responsible for ND's. I will admit Remington should have made a trigger that morons could not tamper with. But to blame this on the 700 would be the same as blaming Glock ND's on Glock. We live in a world where it is always somebody else fault.

    There should be lawsuits against Glock to make them correct their gun so idiots cannot shoot themselves.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  12. #12
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    11,729
    Quote Originally Posted by x1wildone View Post
    W W Can you tell us why you feel the need to defend the remington 700?
    I don't even own a 700, but I did my research. And the research shows that idiots should not operate machinery, including guns.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  13. #13
    Regular Member J_dazzle23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    643
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I don't even own a 700, but I did my research. And the research shows that idiots should not operate machinery, including guns.
    I'm completely in agreement with you, but this gun has had a plethora of times it has gone off without touching the trigger, without any modifications. I've seen people buy one off the shelf do it breaking it in at the range. Gun safety aside, this is why there is a recall.

    I've never heard of a glock, or any other gun for that matter doing that.

    If you point a gun at someone, you're at fault. But I still want my hard earned cash to buy something that works right.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    127
    I sent my 700 in earlier this year to get the new trigger installed. I tried everything to get the rifle to fire when it wasn't supposed to. It didn't, but they were offering the repair for free so I took them up on it.

  15. #15
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    11,729
    I have not seen one video of this phenomenon without someone actually fiddling with the trigger settings. If this was actually so rampant there would be thousands of videos. Remington reaction is nothing more than appeasing the idiots.

    Glocks have gone off thousands of times when handled by idiots.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  16. #16
    Regular Member F350's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The High Plains of Wyoming
    Posts
    932
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I have not seen one video of this phenomenon without someone actually fiddling with the trigger settings. If this was actually so rampant there would be thousands of videos. Remington reaction is nothing more than appeasing the idiots.

    I have a 700 in 7mm mag I bought new probably 30+ years ago, the trigger has NEVER been modified in any way shape or form. Six years ago I shot a deer that went over a small rise, I chambered a new round activated the safety and went to the rise. The deer was just over the rise dead so I was going to unload. I had the butt against my thigh, my right hand wasn't even on the pistol grip much less finger on the trigger as I took the safety off with my thumb (bolt won't open on safe) in preparation to open the bolt; AND THE RIFLE FIRED!!!

    Sorry, but I don't have my own personal vidiographer to document it for you. I have fired hundreds if not a thousand rounds through that rife without a problem, and maybe a hundred rounds since without a problem, but it only takes one to ruin your health records.

    I have three 700s (22-250, 7mm mag and 30-06), all will go in for new triggers.

  17. #17
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    11,729
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    I have a 700 in 7mm mag I bought new probably 30+ years ago, the trigger has NEVER been modified in any way shape or form. Six years ago I shot a deer that went over a small rise, I chambered a new round activated the safety and went to the rise. The deer was just over the rise dead so I was going to unload. I had the butt against my thigh, my right hand wasn't even on the pistol grip much less finger on the trigger as I took the safety off with my thumb (bolt won't open on safe) in preparation to open the bolt; AND THE RIFLE FIRED!!!

    Sorry, but I don't have my own personal vidiographer to document it for you. I have fired hundreds if not a thousand rounds through that rife without a problem, and maybe a hundred rounds since without a problem, but it only takes one to ruin your health records.

    I have three 700s (22-250, 7mm mag and 30-06), all will go in for new triggers.
    If the gun is faulty I am pretty sure it would be faulty later unless repaired. Why couldn't you document yourself? I have provided documentation that shows exactly why the system fails, but only after fiddling. Not saying it didn't happen, but you know the old saying "No pics/video~~~". Every gunsmith I have talked to say the same thing as the video I put up.

    I am sure the guns will come back with stiff/lawyer triggers that cannot be adjusted, and then the biotching will continue like they do about the trigger on Smith striker semi autos.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 12-06-2014 at 05:54 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  18. #18
    Regular Member F350's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The High Plains of Wyoming
    Posts
    932
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    If the gun is faulty I am pretty sure it would be faulty later unless repaired. Why couldn't you document yourself? I have provided documentation that shows exactly why the system fails, but only after fiddling. Not saying it didn't happen, but you know the old saying "No pics/video~~~". Every gunsmith I have talked to say the same thing as the video I put up.

    I am sure the guns will come back with stiff/lawyer triggers that cannot be adjusted, and then the biotching will continue like they do about the trigger on Smith striker semi autos.
    As I said; in the woods deer hunting alone, so who is going to video? I have read that pulling the trigger while on safe will cause the malfunction, I have tried multiple times with no "luck" in duplicating the malfunction. Yesterday I couldn't get the wife's car to start (engage the starter) with either key; this morning it started just fine znd at least 10 times today, why? Heck I don't know. As I said it only takes once to "**** up your health records" as my old Senior DI use to say.

    If I don't like the triggers they come back with there is always Timney, which I have considered anyway.

  19. #19
    Regular Member wittmeba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    New Castle, Va
    Posts
    143
    I think they are handling it appropriately. Unfortunately there has already been injuries apparently caused by the malfunction.

    http://www.remington.com/pages/news-...odelseven.aspx
    I was born in Great Falls, Mt. My parents moved when I was 5. I found them when I was 9. They were in California.

  20. #20
    Regular Member x1wildone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eagle, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    53
    Plenty of other companies have rifles, trigger systems etc. that work properly as expected. Remington has known about this issue forever and refused to fix it.
    Basic gun safety is always the first priority but there will always be the exceptions and unknown circumstances. Such as an inexperienced person that is trying to unload a gun that has to have the safety system disengaged to unload, with a trigger system that has -not- been messed with that still goes off unexpectedly.

    We have safety systems in all aspects of our day to day lives that are put into place to help guard against the unknown and known hazards of our everyday lives. These systems are voluntary or forced depending on the need. When we have companies that refuse to develop safe practices then our govt. gets involved.
    This is rarely a good thing but at times necessary.
    Remington is one of those companies that had an easy fix to apply but has refused, and thus has shown there true colors. They value the dollar more than human life. Or more accurately stated the pennies.
    I despise nanny state laws that we have in place, such as forced seat belt laws.But i know that individuals and companies have to be told what to do because they just do not get it.
    Remington has known about this issue for over 35 years, and they prefer to ignore it. While using the rules of gun safety as an escape hatch.

  21. #21
    Regular Member The Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Henrico
    Posts
    1,923
    Quote Originally Posted by x1wildone View Post
    Remington has known about this issue for over 35 years, and they prefer to ignore it. While using the rules of gun safety as an escape hatch.
    ^^^This. Remington could have fixed this way back then for pennies on the dollar, now they have to pay out the a$$ and will probably have to settle with some damages claims. Idiots.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

    μολὼν λαβέ

    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

  22. #22
    Regular Member HPmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,437
    From the article I see Remington is privately owned by the Cerebus Capital - they have $20 billion under management and are the guys that owned Chrysler fir a while. NYC liberals that hate guns but want to turn a buck in it. Remington is for sale if anyone is in the market...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

  23. #23
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    11,729
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    As I said; in the woods deer hunting alone, so who is going to video? I have read that pulling the trigger while on safe will cause the malfunction, I have tried multiple times with no "luck" in duplicating the malfunction. Yesterday I couldn't get the wife's car to start (engage the starter) with either key; this morning it started just fine znd at least 10 times today, why? Heck I don't know. As I said it only takes once to "**** up your health records" as my old Senior DI use to say.

    If I don't like the triggers they come back with there is always Timney, which I have considered anyway.
    Again watch the video, if your gun failed in the woods why wouldn't it fail at home? Buy something other than a Remington, problem solved.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    650
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Again watch the video, if your gun failed in the woods why wouldn't it fail at home? Buy something other than a Remington, problem solved.

    Walking Wolf, this problem was KNOWN by the actions designer in the 1940's. He TOLD Remington and proposed aan alternative. There have been multiple deaths and injuries over $$$$$$ and Remington's insistence on not admitting fault.


    Read and watch all about it.

    Remington Under Fire
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/39554936/

  25. #25
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    11,729
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff. State View Post
    Walking Wolf, this problem was KNOWN by the actions designer in the 1940's. He TOLD Remington and proposed aan alternative. There have been multiple deaths and injuries over $$$$$$ and Remington's insistence on not admitting fault.


    Read and watch all about it.

    Remington Under Fire
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/39554936/
    It is impossible to cause deaths unless safety rules are not followed. Plus there is no repeat occurrences that are documented that I know of. Just the word of people who Awww Pooop. When the rifles have been inspected they were either tampered with, or the phenomenon could not be repeated. It was the same with the stupid Jennings law suit, it was the dumb act of a careless person handling a firearm. The complaint for the suit was exactly the same as 1911's. Taking off the safety to break down the gun. Dumb is as dumb does, but in this society nobody admits they are dumb.

    McDonalds knew for a long time their coffee was hot...
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •