• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alert! Houston PD unlawfully arrests OCer and attempts to erase evidence from phone

OC for ME

... With that said let me give you this scenario. You are at a street corner ... In the cops' mind they are justified in detaining you since the caller called you're about to rob a store and have a rifle and an accomplice..... Suddenly what the cop thinks it is going on is totally different of what you know to be the truth. Moreover the cop has a good faith argument that he had to detain you...... But even like that once he gets the story straight he should abandon the detention. But if he wants to ID you and you lie during that detention...... See where I'm going..... These calls have happened before and you're only hope is that experienced good cops answer that call......
What is always missing from these scenarios is the nod towards "Officer Barney Fife, what exactly did you see upon arrival to the alleged..." Giving a pass to what cops see upon arrival as being irrelevant is how cops get sued. Good cops assess a scene based on what they see, right now and then make a decision based on the FACTS evident before them.

When cops roll up on you while you are OC, start recording, don't say a word, move like molasses in December.

sraacke

This oathbreaker needs to be fired and put in jail. The other officers on scene who participated in his criminal conduct under color of law need to find different careers too.

KBCraig

lol. If he had succeeded in deleting that video, that's exactly what we'd be hearing. Just another example of the importance of recordings, audio and video if possible.

When it comes to "deleting videos", if you're using an iOS device that is up to date, deleted videos aren't really deleted for 30 days, unless you take additional steps to really delete them, a second time; they get stored in a separate folder that you have to look for.

Just FYI... anyone using an iOS device should educate themselves on this, and know how to restore or recover those videos, without going to extreme measures.

WalkingWolf

When it comes to "deleting videos", if you're using an iOS device that is up to date, deleted videos aren't really deleted for 30 days, unless you take additional steps to really delete them, a second time; they get stored in a separate folder that you have to look for.

Just FYI... anyone using an iOS device should educate themselves on this, and know how to restore or recover those videos, without going to extreme measures.

Most times on any device files are not actually deleted, they are removed from the registry until they have data written over them. Most police officers probably do not know this, and apps are available to recover deleted data. NOW formatting is a whole nuther ballpark. If I want to clean storage I use the long/full format tool. Brief formatting basically is the same as deleting it can be recovered.

Primus ignore the above post~~wouldn't want you to get any ideas.

stealthyeliminator

It's certainly possible on any device but it can get pretty complicated, depending. I personally am a fan of streaming off site using one of several apps and avoiding having to go through any recovery process.

Primus

Most times on any device files are not actually deleted, they are removed from the registry until they have data written over them. Most police officers probably do not know this, and apps are available to recover deleted data. NOW formatting is a whole nuther ballpark. If I want to clean storage I use the long/full format tool. Brief formatting basically is the same as deleting it can be recovered.

Thank you so much detective walkingwolf..... The entire law enforcement community thanks you for your lesson in "deleting" material. They are truly in debt to your vast knowledge.

I mean I'm certain no law enforcement agency has personnel that have taken forensic computer/electronic classes that discuss deletion of material, Faraday bags, downloading of material, chain of custody, etc. Etc. And I'm also certain none of these individuals are patrolman or even detectives that are on call/duty.

You really should charge for these lessons. Or maybe be a senior instructor at the FBI or something. Truly mind blowing. We are forever indebted to you.
:D :p

OC for ME

Primus' retort is another glimpse into LE, that a cop would/could confiscate a phone and then have his comrade(s) conspire with him to perform the possibly unlawful act of destroying evidence of a possible crime.

Primus

Primus' retort is another glimpse into LE, that a cop would/could confiscate a phone and then have his comrade(s) conspire with him to perform the possibly unlawful act of destroying evidence of a possible crime.
Lol oh here we go..... Relentless. I'll give you that much. Not much else but relentless indeed.

Hey I went to the bathroom this morning. Care to extrapolate what this is supposedly a glimpse into LE is?

I'm flattered you some how think I'm a representative and hang on every word I say and someone extrapolate it to a whole community but your really doing a disservice by doing that. I'm far from a representative of anything other then myself.

But I'd be lying if I said I was surprised... Its a bad habit of yours and others. But I do still love you and hopefully we can help fix each other. :D

stealthyeliminator

I would expect that the officer's training probably focuses more on methods to recover and preserve information as opposed to methods to delete something irrecoverably. Of course, you can't really learn one without the other, it's kind of two sides to the same coin. I don't see anything particularly nefarious about Primus' comments.

wittmeba

Video's are great but not always the easiest to obtain if you are the suspect. Reaching for a cell phone to make a video or call 911 may cause alarm and get you killed.

I've always told my wife and son's that if they feel there may be trouble finding the "Truth" to just dial 911 if you can without causing alarm and set the phone down - or even put it back in your pocket or purse. Any conversation will be recorded and kept in the right (hopefully) hands. You don't need to have an exchange in conversation with the 911 operator...they will just listen and the recording should happen automatically.

OC for ME

I would expect that the officer's training probably focuses more on methods to recover and preserve information as opposed to methods to delete something irrecoverably. Of course, you can't really learn one without the other, it's kind of two sides to the same coin. I don't see anything particularly nefarious about Primus' comments.
In the context of the op?

WalkingWolf

Thank you so much detective walkingwolf..... The entire law enforcement community thanks you for your lesson in "deleting" material. They are truly in debt to your vast knowledge.

I mean I'm certain no law enforcement agency has personnel that have taken forensic computer/electronic classes that discuss deletion of material, Faraday bags, downloading of material, chain of custody, etc. Etc. And I'm also certain none of these individuals are patrolman or even detectives that are on call/duty.

You really should charge for these lessons. Or maybe be a senior instructor at the FBI or something. Truly mind blowing. We are forever indebted to you.
:D :p

Most the cops that would do such a thing are idiots to begin with, do not know how to be literate let alone computer literate. Know what I mean Vern?

WalkingWolf

+1 His cop worship overrides any common decency that one would expect from a public official.

WalkingWolf

Lol oh here we go..... Relentless. I'll give you that much. Not much else but relentless indeed.

Hey I went to the bathroom this morning. Care to extrapolate what this is supposedly a glimpse into LE is?

I'm flattered you some how think I'm a representative and hang on every word I say and someone extrapolate it to a whole community but your really doing a disservice by doing that. I'm far from a representative of anything other then myself.

But I'd be lying if I said I was surprised... Its a bad habit of yours and others. But I do still love you and hopefully we can help fix each other. :D

I don't think you are a representative, I think you wannabe:uhoh: representative.