• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying a gun in Oregon from private seller, 594 issue?

av8tr1

I am a Washington state resident with a concealed permit. I am looking at purchasing a gun in Oregon from a private seller. Any issues with me needing to do this through a FFL or deal with the fallout of 594? Since we are neighboring states are there any provisions for me to purchase a firearm in Oregon being a Washington state resident? It is a pistol.

END_THE_FED

It is my understanding that the Federal government has a "law" that requires residents of different States to go through an FFL for such sales.

Federal law is silent on the matter of two residents of the same State selling firearms to each other but when the individuals are residents of different States Federal "law" says they must use an FFL.

Just another absurd and erroneous interpretation of the commerce clause.

Do you have an immediate Family member in Oregon?

av8tr1

No family at all in Oregon so that not an option.

But I thought there was a "loophole" (not really a loophole) that allowed us to purchase firearms in neighboring states. For example I purchased a rifle (one of those nasty black "assault" rifles that kill 100s with a single bullet) in Idaho last year with no issues from Cabelas.

I am assuming (probably incorrectly) that I can purchase firearms in either Idaho and Oregon.

END_THE_FED

No family at all in Oregon so that not an option.

But I thought there was a "loophole" (not really a loophole) that allowed us to purchase firearms in neighboring states. For example I purchased a rifle (one of those nasty black "assault" rifles that kill 100s with a single bullet) in Idaho last year with no issues from Cabelas.

I am assuming (probably incorrectly) that I can purchase firearms in either Idaho and Oregon.

Cabela's is an FFL

av8tr1

Cabela's is an FFL

Yes but the transaction happened in Idaho. The entire process happened in Idaho. It was actually the manager in the Idaho Cabela's gun department who told me that it is legal for a Washington state resident to purchase from the two neighboring states and vice versa. But I've never seen the actual law regarding this.

END_THE_FED

Yes but the transaction happened in Idaho. The entire process happened in Idaho. It was actually the manager in the Idaho Cabela's gun department who told me that it is legal for a Washington state resident to purchase from the two neighboring states and vice versa. But I've never seen the actual law regarding this.

I am not familiar with the details of the law either, but my guess would be that it only applies to FFL's and would not apply to private sales.

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

It is my understanding that the Federal government has a "law" that requires residents of different States to go through an FFL for such sales.

Federal law is silent on the matter of two residents of the same State selling firearms to each other but when the individuals are residents of different States Federal "law" says they must use an FFL.

Just another absurd and erroneous interpretation of the commerce clause.

Do you have an immediate Family member in Oregon?

Please cite this law.

I say that there is no such law.

Geerolla

This is true for long guns when purchased through an out of state FFL, NOT handguns.

A person may only buy a firearm within his own State except that he may buy a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides.

[18 U.S.C 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 178.29]

You will need to both go through an FFL to transfer ownership of a handgun from state to state.

Sent from my UAV using Disposition Matrix 2.0

Freedom1Man

The three laws which Freedom1Man refuses to acknowledge are 18 USC 922 (a)(3), (a)(5) and (b)(3).

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922

In summary:

18 USC 922 (a)(3) makes it a violation of Federal law for an unlicensed person (license meaning FFL) to transport into or receive in their state of residence any firearm that that they purchased or otherwise obtained outside their state of residence, with the exception of firearms that are inherited and rifles and shotguns obtained from an FFL in accordance with (b)(3).

18 USC 922 (a)(5) makes it a violation of Federal law for an unlicensed person (license meaning FFL) to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any unlicensed person who does not reside in the same state, with the exception of firearms that are inherited and firearms that are loaned for sporting purposes.

18 USC 922 (b)(3) makes it a violation of Federal law for an FFL to transfer any firearm other than a rifle or shotgun to any unlicensed person who does not reside in the same state the FFL has their business located. However, (b)(3) does allow an FFL to transfer a rifle or shotgun to a resident of any state so long as the laws of both the state the FFL is located in and the state the unlicensed person is from are followed. A non-Washington FFL still has to comply with Washington laws for the transfer to not violate Federal law.

All language regarding contiguous (bordering) states was removed from Federal law in 1986 and the provisions for FFLs to transfer rifles and shotguns now apply to residents of any state - they do not have to border each other.

It's up to you whether or not you choose to obey the law, now you have the facts.

Please read section 921

(2) The term “interstate or foreign commerce” includes commerce between any place in a State and any place outside of that State, or within any possession of the United States (not including the Canal Zone) or the District of Columbia, but such term does not include commerce between places within the same State but through any place outside of that State. The term “State” includes the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the possessions of the United States (not including the Canal Zone).

and you are incorrectly citing section 922
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2012-title18/html/USCODE-2012-title18-partI-chap44-sec922.htm
(a) It shall be unlawful—

(1) for any person—

(A) except a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer, to engage in the business of importing, manufacturing, or dealing in firearms, or in the course of such business to ship, transport, or receive any firearm in interstate or foreign commerce; or

(2) for any importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector licensed under the provisions of this chapter to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, except that—

(3) for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, the State where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State, except that this paragraph (A) shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State, (B) shall not apply to the transportation or receipt of a firearm obtained in conformity with subsection (b)(3) of this section, and (C) shall not apply to the transportation of any firearm acquired in any State prior to the effective date of this chapter;

So, again, cite the law proving your claim.

I just disproved your current claim.

So, I have now proven that you are incorrect.

Freedom1Man

What you have proven, sir, is that you failed simple outline structure in elementary school.

The section (A) that you quoted and highlighted in red falls under paragraph (a)(1) and ONLY applies to paragraph (a)(1). I did not quote from paragraph (a)(1). I quoted from paragraphs (a)(3) and (a)(5) to which the section (A) under paragraph (a)(1) does not apply.

Paragraph (a)(1) has subsections (which you quoted) (A) and (B) which apply ONLY to paragraph (a)(1). Paragraph (a)(3) (which I quoted) has no subsections. Paragraph (a)(5) (which I also quoted) has it's own subsections (A) and (B) which apply ONLY to paragraph (a)(5).

That's simple outline structure.

Further down in the same statute you will see that the level below the subsections such as (A) are labeled as (i) and (ii)....as in (d)(8)(B)(i).

Read the WHOLE THING.

I will pull a snippet out so as to help you see.

The term “State” includes the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the possessions of the United States (not including the Canal Zone).
Law is limited to what is listed.

----EDIT

I have noticed that NONE of the attorneys that post here have countered my statement. Only those who trust the system deny what the legal effect of the law is as it is written.

Last edited:

acmariner99

This is really ... really simple (and has nothing to do with 594). If the firearm you are buying is a handgun, the sale must go through a WA FFL since you are a WA resident and the intended recipient of the handgun. This is a federal requirement per the laws referenced above.

However, with the passage of 594 and the new requirement that all firearms transfers go through a background check (requiring a FFL) and the federal requirement that the laws of both states involved in a transaction need to be followed, I would deduce that even a long gun purchase from another state needs to go through a WA FFL to be compliant. (Or is the law met as long as any FFL is used??)

Last edited:

ak56

Campaign Veteran
This is really ... really simple (and has nothing to do with 594). If the firearm you are buying is a handgun, the sale must go through a WA FFL since you are a WA resident and the intended recipient of the handgun. This is a federal requirement per the laws referenced above.

However, with the passage of 594 and the new requirement that all firearms transfers go through a background check (requiring a FFL) and the federal requirement that the laws of both states involved in a transaction need to be followed, I would deduce that even a long gun purchase from another state needs to go through a WA FFL to be compliant. (Or is the law met as long as any FFL is used??)

I don't think that I-594 changed anything in regards to the actual background check performed or recordkeeping requirements for rifles and shotguns (except having to report inheritances) so I would not personally hesitate to receive a rifle or shotgun from an FFL in any other state.

I-594 did not change anything on out-of-state purchasing of rifles and shotguns.

RCW 9.41.122
Out-of-state purchasing.

Residents of Washington may purchase rifles and shotguns in a state other than Washington: PROVIDED, That such residents conform to the applicable provisions of the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, Title IV, Pub. L. 90-351 as administered by the United States secretary of the treasury: AND PROVIDED FURTHER, That such residents are eligible to purchase or possess such weapons in Washington and in the state in which such purchase is made.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
However, the federal Gun Control Act of 1968 requires that the purchase of a rifle or shotgun from an out of state FFL must comply with both the state law of the purchaser and the FFL - so if I-594 changed the procedure for purchasing a rifle or shotgun from an FFL in WA state, that change would also apply to out of state FFLs transferring firearms to WA state residents. That being said, I don't see where I-594 changed the procedure or records required for the background check for rifles or shotguns - only the transfers which require it and the out of state transfer always required it anyway.

But I-594's only modifies the requirements if the sale or transfer or purchaser or seller is in the state of Washington.

NEW SECTION. Sec. 3. A new section is added to chapter 9.41 RCW to read as follows:
(1) All firearm sales or transfers, in whole or part in this state including without limitation a sale or transfer where either the purchaser or seller or transferee or transferor is in Washington, shall be subject to background checks unless specifically exempted by state or federal law.

Freedom1Man

So what you are trying to lead us to believe is that not only do you not understand simple outline structure but that you don't know the difference between the terms "includes" and "is limited to".

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/includes

The only thing the sentence means that you quoted is that the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the possessions of the United States (not including the Canal Zone) are PART OF the term "State". Nowhere in the sentence is there anything in regards to the term "State" being limited to those locations.

Seriously, your passion for freedom is overruling your intelligence and common sense and it causes you to appear to be an ignorant fool who can't control his emotions.

In law, includes means limited to what is listed otherwise the law would be vague.

Do you need some examples? I am would be happy to provide them, just to prove that you are wrong.

av8tr1

Hey guys thanks for all the comments. Decided not to move forward with the purchase.

END_THE_FED

In law, includes means limited to what is listed otherwise the law would be vague.

Do you need some examples? I am would be happy to provide them, just to prove that you are wrong.

Not saying this changes your point because it doesn't but "includes" in a definition also could mean other things not listed that are in the same general class as the things that are.

Freedom1Man

Not saying this changes your point because it doesn't but "includes" in a definition also could mean other things not listed that are in the same general class as the things that are.

Not when it comes to law. "Such as" is what you are thinking of. "Includes" and "Including" when used in law means limited to what is listed.

I will give an example.
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE...ODE-2011-title26-subtitleF-chap79-sec7701.htm
(a) When used in this title, where not otherwise distinctly expressed or manifestly incompatible with the intent thereof—
(9) United States

The term “United States” when used in a geographical sense includes only the States and the District of Columbia.
(10) State

The term “State” shall be construed to include the District of Columbia, where such construction is necessary to carry out provisions of this title.

Now here is title 18USC
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2012-title18/html/USCODE-2012-title18-partI-chap44-sec921.htm
(2) The term “interstate or foreign commerce” includes commerce between any place in a State and any place outside of that State, or within any possession of the United States (not including the Canal Zone) or the District of Columbia, but such term does not include commerce between places within the same State but through any place outside of that State. The term “State” includes the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the possessions of the United States (not including the Canal Zone).

Now IF congress and the law really did apply within the, 50, states of the union the congress would never have had to write a definition such as the one that follows.
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE...26-subtitleD-chap38-dup1-subchapA-sec4612.htm
a) Definitions

For purposes of this subchapter—
(4) United States
(A) In general

The term “United States” means the 50 States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, any possession of the United States, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, and the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands.
(B) United States includes continental shelf areas

The principles of section 638 shall apply for purposes of the term “United States”.
(C) United States includes foreign trade zones

The term “United States” includes any foreign trade zone of the United States.

Now the first and 3rd quotes are from title 26USC. The first one is the one that defines the default terms for the whole title the 3rd one shows that the first one did not include the 50 states in the first place.

Last edited: