Thread: Concrete, Wa

Concrete, Wa

I've been trying for a month to post a picture to here showing a park in Concrete that has the most blatant no guns sign I've seen. But this website won't upload it. So I'll post the conversation I had here, minus the picture.

Hey Mayor!

Is the park on N Superior Ave. (near main St) a publicly owned park?

jfslicer
    Hello, jfslicer,

Silo Park? That's a town park, so "publicly owned" wouldn't be quite the right way to characterize it. It is town property, open to the public from dawn to dusk every day.

Helpful? Let me know if that answers your questions and if you have any follow-up question(s).

jas

Jason Miller, mayor, Town of Concrete
    Mayor Miller,

The reason I ask is that I was visiting Silo park recently when I saw this sign:

State law RCW 9.41.290 states: "Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality." State law allows for open carry and concealed carry of firearms in public (RCW 9.41.050).

As such, this sign makes law abiding citizens appear to be criminals to the uninformed. Would you be so kind as to remove this sign?

Thanks for your time!
    I will certainly look into that!

What's your last name, jfslicer? Are you a resident of Concrete?

jason
    I appreciate that! This article may help you as you look into it: Seattle Gun Ban Ruled Illegal It sites, among other things, a court case that cause Seattle to have to change it gun laws in regards to parks.

I am not a resident of Concrete, but I do live nearby and was enjoying your lovely town recently.

jfslicer <Last Name>
    Very interesting. Thank you, jfslicer.
    I'd appreciate it if you keep me in the loop on any decisions you come to in regards to the sign. Thanks again!
    Certainly.
    Last edited by jfslicer; 12-09-2014 at 05:25 PM. Reason: added picture

I brought that up to the town council in Lacey, and even before I went to the monthly meeting they agreed. They fixed it right away when the city attorney looked into it. They contacted the Lacey PD, and told them not to enforce the stuff on the signs till they were changed.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Banned
    whats the size of the pic?

Post a link to it ... using

http://postimage.org/

if too big

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    whats the size of the pic?

Post a link to it ... using

http://postimage.org/

if too big
    That worked! Thanks!

Update:

Quote Originally Posted by jfslicer
    Hey Mayor Miller,

It's been 5 months since we last talked about this. Is there any update?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor Miller
    Ah, yes. Prioritized downward while building our Fire & Life Safety Facility. Will loop back on this.

Anyone want to do a barbecue?

Hello, jfslicer,

Silo Park? That's a town park, so "publicly owned" wouldn't be quite the right way to characterize it. It is town property, open to the public from dawn to dusk every day.

Helpful? Let me know if that answers your questions and if you have any follow-up question(s).

jas
    Jason Miller, mayor, Town of Concrete
    S'cuze me, Mr. Mayor, but just WHAT do you define as "publicly owned?" I guess, in your mind, "town" property is "private."
    Better go attend the civics class in your local high school to refresh your memory.
    Rev. Robert Apgood, Esq.

A right cannot be lost by exercising it. McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. 3025, 130 S. Ct. 3020, 3021, 177 L. Ed. 2d 894 (2010) (citing Near v. Minn., 283 U.S. 697 (1931)).

Although IAAL, anything I say here is not legal advice. No conversations we may have privately or otherwise in this forum constitute the formation of an attorney-client relationship, and are not intended to do so.

Reminds me of that New England joke about the new neighbors property line - are you asking for owning? or for mowing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

SVG and I went through Concrete just this past sunday. It would have been a great time to visit the park, had we known.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    SVG and I went through Concrete just this past sunday. It would have been a great time to visit the park, had we known.
    +1 We ate our lunch at the hatchery, the park would have been nice too.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)