• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concrete, Wa

jfslicer

I've been trying for a month to post a picture to here showing a park in Concrete that has the most blatant no guns sign I've seen. But this website won't upload it. So I'll post the conversation I had here, minus the picture.

Hey Mayor!

Is the park on N Superior Ave. (near main St) a publicly owned park?

jfslicer

Hello, jfslicer,

Silo Park? That's a town park, so "publicly owned" wouldn't be quite the right way to characterize it. It is town property, open to the public from dawn to dusk every day.

Helpful? Let me know if that answers your questions and if you have any follow-up question(s).

jas

Jason Miller, mayor, Town of Concrete

Mayor Miller,

The reason I ask is that I was visiting Silo park recently when I saw this sign:

State law RCW 9.41.290 states: "Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality." State law allows for open carry and concealed carry of firearms in public (RCW 9.41.050).

As such, this sign makes law abiding citizens appear to be criminals to the uninformed. Would you be so kind as to remove this sign?

Thanks for your time!

I will certainly look into that!

What's your last name, jfslicer? Are you a resident of Concrete?

jason

I appreciate that! This article may help you as you look into it: Seattle Gun Ban Ruled Illegal It sites, among other things, a court case that cause Seattle to have to change it gun laws in regards to parks.

I am not a resident of Concrete, but I do live nearby and was enjoying your lovely town recently.

jfslicer <Last Name>

Very interesting. Thank you, jfslicer.

I'd appreciate it if you keep me in the loop on any decisions you come to in regards to the sign. Thanks again!

Certainly.

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I brought that up to the town council in Lacey, and even before I went to the monthly meeting they agreed. They fixed it right away when the city attorney looked into it. They contacted the Lacey PD, and told them not to enforce the stuff on the signs till they were changed.

jfslicer

Update:

jfslicer said:
Hey Mayor Miller,

It's been 5 months since we last talked about this. Is there any update?

Mayor Miller said:
Ah, yes. Prioritized downward while building our Fire & Life Safety Facility. Will loop back on this.

Anyone want to do a barbecue?

rapgood

Hello, jfslicer,

Silo Park? That's a town park, so "publicly owned" wouldn't be quite the right way to characterize it. It is town property, open to the public from dawn to dusk every day.

Helpful? Let me know if that answers your questions and if you have any follow-up question(s).

jas
Jason Miller, mayor, Town of Concrete
S'cuze me, Mr. Mayor, but just WHAT do you define as "publicly owned?" I guess, in your mind, "town" property is "private."
Better go attend the civics class in your local high school to refresh your memory.

HPmatt

Reminds me of that New England joke about the new neighbors property line - are you asking for owning? or for mowing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk