Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If open carry passes, should you have to get a license to carry? Hit the poll please

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar

If open carry passes, should you have to get a license to carry? Hit the poll please

As I've asked before, do these polls really matter? Don't know. Please vote anyway. Takes 2 seconds.

http://kfyo.com/if-open-carry-passes...to-carry-poll/

When I voted, about 82% say no, about 15% yes and about 2% not sure.
    Advocate freedom please

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    As I've asked before, do these polls really matter? Don't know. Please vote anyway. Takes 2 seconds.

Voted (no, obviously!)

Concealed licenses used to be a method for insuring only 'reputable people' carried a weapon in the same shady manner as criminals and not openly as honest citizens did. What would be the reasoning behind not requiring one to have a license to openly carry a long gun but yet require a license to openly carry a hand gun?

In Georgia you're required to have a license to carry openly or concealed. I don't agree with it, nor do I see the point. A person carrying a weapon may not be detained for the sole purpose of investigating whether such person has a weapons carry license and the penalty for not having one's license on one's person is a mere 'wrist slap' of $10 (the same as not having a driving license in possession if one produces a license in court).
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 12-10-2014 at 03:20 PM.

Banned

These polls are as useful as one's voting.

But I hit it anyways !

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    Concealed licenses used to be a method for insuring only 'reputable people' carried a weapon in the same shady manner as criminals and not openly as honest citizens did. What would be the reasoning behind not requiring one to have a license to openly carry a long gun but yet require a license to openly carry a hand gun?

In Georgia you're required to have a license to carry openly or concealed. I don't agree with it, nor do I see the point. A person carrying a weapon may not be detained for the sole purpose of investigating whether such person has a weapons carry license and the penalty for not having one's license on one's person is a mere 'wrist slap' of $10 (the same as not having a driving license in possession if one produces a license in court).
    Well... I could take a guess as the reasoning. $$$$$$$$$$$. Of course we all knew that instructors made a lot of money on CHLs in Texas (edit: say a CHL instructor does 2 classes a month, charges $100/person, 30 people/class, and is booked 3 months in advance, you do the math...) but recently I've seen talk that leads me to believe it has been a very 'profitable' program for the state itself...

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    These polls are as useful as one's voting.

But I hit it anyways !
    lol, thanks!
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 12-10-2014 at 06:37 PM.
    Advocate freedom please

Voted (no, a Right should not require a fee and permission from anyone).

Don't know how it can be so difficult to understand: criminals WILL find a way to get their hands on __________* in order to commit a second crime (the first being the wielding of a weapon with intent to commit said crime).

*Fill in the blank: gun/knife/kitchen knife/baseball bat/hammer/shovel/pipe/wrench/sharp stick/sharp piece of steel/large rock/brick/etc.

For instance, a man in Glendale recently had his home burglarized, and the thieves stole several firearms. Backpage link with photos of the scumbags:
    http://tucson.backpage.com/SportsEqu...-them/30724074

Something tells me these guys couldn't care less about permits, waiting periods, or background checks...
    Sorry to kind of hijack the thread, but just trying to get the word out about this in case the guys are seen in Texas (the prevailing theory in AZ is that they likely took the guns to Kalifornia).
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 12-10-2014 at 09:13 PM.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    Voted (no, a Right should not require a fee and permission from anyone).

Don't know how it can be so difficult to understand: criminals WILL find a way to get their hands on __________* in order to commit a second crime (the first being the wielding of a weapon with intent to commit said crime).

*Fill in the blank: gun/knife/kitchen knife/baseball bat/hammer/shovel/pipe/wrench/sharp stick/sharp piece of steel/large rock/brick/etc.

For instance, a man in Glendale recently had his home burglarized, and the thieves stole several firearms. Backpage link with photos of the scumbags:
    http://tucson.backpage.com/SportsEqu...-them/30724074

Something tells me these guys couldn't care less about permits, waiting periods, or background checks...
    Sorry to kind of hijack the thread, but just trying to get the word out about this in case the guys are seen in Texas (the prevailing theory in AZ is that they likely took the guns to Kalifornia).
    You don't think they went and ran background checks on themselves and obtained carry permits before they broke in and stole the firearms? Surely they would have, there are laws on the books you know, which I'm sure they've read...
    Advocate freedom please

NO

" Those things which are considered as INALIENABLE RIGHTS which all citizens possess cannot be licensed since those acts are not held to be a privilege" Cite- City of Chicago v Collins 51, NE. 907,910

" A license when granting a privilege, may not, as the terms of its possession, impose conditions which require THE ABANDONMENT OF CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS" Cite - Frost Trucking Co. v Railroad Commission 271 US 583,589 (1924) also Terral v Burke Construction Company 257,US 529, 532 (1922)

While I am not a citizen of the great State of Texas, I am a citizen that firmly believes that the requiring of a license to exercise a Natural right or rights granted under the Federal Constitution is nothing short of thievery by the police state and its lawmakers.

My .02

Regards

CCJ
    " I detest hypocrites and their Hypocrisy" I support Liberty for each, for all, and forever".
    Ask yourself, Do you own Yourself?

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    As of 10:02 a.m. December 11

Thank you for voting!
    Yes 16%

No 82.64%

Not sure 1.36%

Read More: If Open Carry Passes in Texas, Should Texans Have to Get a License to Carry? [POLL] | http://kfyo.com/if-open-carry-passes...ckback=tsmclip
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

...or rights granted enumerated/reiterated/listed/enshrined under the Federal Constitution...
    A few suggestions. Good post, thanks for the cites. I've now got those bookmarked.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Founder's Club Member
    I vote NO

Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    100% no you should not have money extorted from you to exercise a right you already have! Permits should not be issues in any state.
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

"Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

Regular Member SovereigntyOrDeath's Avatar
    Heck NO!

I am very surprised that the Lone Star state does not allow open carry. Very surprised! I guess the majority of cowboys have left.
    "Nullification is the rightful remedy" Thomas Jefferson
    http://tracking.tenthamendmentcenter...-preservation/

"Constitutional Carry is not an oxymoron"
    A Sovereign

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." Thomas Jefferson

Regular Member rightwinglibertarian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SovereigntyOrDeath View Post
    Heck NO!

I am very surprised that the Lone Star state does not allow open carry. Very surprised! I guess the majority of cowboys have left.
    No.... they've just changed form. Now they are commonly called Senators but cowboys will do :P
    "Which part of shall not be infringed is so difficult to understand"?

"Any and all restrictions on the bearing of arms in public places are nullified as per the Second Amendment"

Conservative Broadcast || Google Plus profile

Should you need a license to open carry?

Personally I think you should need a CHL or something equal to a CHL, Each person should be cleared same as we did for CHL. I wouldn't want a crack head or other felon walking around with a sidearm. I know, they can do it now with it concealed, BUT, would they do it open carry?

Thank you for voting!
    Yes 17.66%

No 80.99%

Not sure 1.35%

Read More: If Open Carry Passes in Texas, Should Texans Have to Get a License to Carry? [POLL] | http://kfyo.com/if-open-carry-passes...ckback=tsmclip

Quote Originally Posted by tedwitt View Post
    Personally I think you should need a CHL or something equal to a CHL, Each person should be cleared same as we did for CHL. I wouldn't want a crack head or other felon walking around with a sidearm. I know, they can do it now with it concealed, BUT, would they do it open carry?
    I wouldn't want a crack head or perhaps not even a felon walking around with a sidearm, either, but I ask myself two questions when presented this. First, does this desire of mine justify my setting a prohibition or other such restriction or requirement on other's rights? Secondly, for the sake of discussion, assuming I am justified in using this force against fellow man to enforce a prohibition or licensing requirement, would this be effective to prevent the condition I desire to not exist?

Personally I believe the answer is no to both questions.
    Advocate freedom please

Cleared?
    So, you want background investigations to make sure 'only the right people' are granted the privilege of exercising the right to be armed?

Should this same background investigation be required of those wishing to openly carry rifles, as that is at this time, unregulated in Texas?

A license would do nothing to prevent 'some crackhead' from carrying. He'd still be a crackhead, he'd still be a prohibited person and it would still be illegal regardless of licensing.

Banned
    Its called a birth certificate .. if you are alive and free one does not need a permission slip or any type of clearing process.

Crack heads and felons included.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 12-20-2014 at 10:28 PM.

So you choose trying to control others over freedom.

About the crackhead or felon, what's the difference how they carry?

You admit they don't follow the useless laws now, but to stop them from OC'ing you are willing to impose cost and time requirement on other people.

Why, just to make you feel better?

Freedom is awesome.
    What I told my wife when she said my steel Baby Eagle .45 was heavy, "Heavy is good, heavy is reliable, if it doesn't work you could always hit him with it."-Boris the Blade

MOLON LABE

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    As of 7:00 p.m., December 21:

Thank you for voting!
    Yes 16.74%

No 81.95%

Not sure 1.3%

Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

I voted NO

Wolf
    Last edited by Wolfgang1952; 12-22-2014 at 05:57 AM.
    Pres. Florida Parishes Chapter of LOCAL www.laopencarry.org

.308 Isn't an area code, but it can still make long distance calls.
    How may I help you? Press '1' for English. Press '2' to disconnect until you learn to speak English.

Wolf

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar

Voted. Still about 82% and 16%
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

The idea that the authorities should clear (investigate) someone before they are are given a permit that allows them to carry a gun is based in the naive notion that no one would ever think of not obeying the law.

Thing is... your own statement that you know crack heads and felons don't obey the law and concealed carry without a permit shows that you understand criminals........ don't obey the law. So what would make you think they would obey some law that says they must have a permit to open carry?

Here is food for thought.... if gun control (permit) laws don't prevent criminals from having and carrying guns... who are those laws intended to control?

I voted "NO"...
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Have you asked a felon that question? Do you believe they care? Why would they care how you feel about them openly carrying or concealing? Why would they care about being "cleared" for anything?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast