• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Utah man gets stolen gun back after 37 years

Midwest

Utah man gets stolen gun back after 37 years

Salt Lake City man gets his shotgun back after it was stolen 37 years ago from his truck. It was found at Sporting Goods Store in Oregon after they traced the serial number and found out it was stolen.

http://news.yahoo.com/utah-man-gets-stolen-gun-back-37-years-200133137.html

"Property crimes are notoriously difficult for police, who often have little evidence to start an investigation, Van Scoy said. If investigators do find stolen items, it usually happens soon after the crime_Pittenger's shotgun is the oldest recovered property case the detective could recall.

Though stolen items do turn up when police catch a thief, without a serial number it's hard to connect it back to an owner and officers often end up selling unclaimed items at auction."

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Now 53, Pittenger said he was a little nervous when he got a message from the detective a few weeks ago saying he wanted to talk. Though he's glad to have the gun back, he's not sure what he'll do with it.

"I don't know the history of it. I don't know if it was used to hurt someone over the years,"

Really, dude? Really?

How many muggings/bank robberies/home invasions/drive-bys are committed with a freaking goose gun?

Sounds as if someone came in to sell a used gun and the serial number check was part of that process.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Really, dude? Really?

How many muggings/bank robberies/home invasions/drive-bys are committed with a freaking goose gun?

Sounds as if someone came in to sell a used gun and the serial number check was part of that process.

stay safe.
Found one from back in 1990 - A masked man brandishing a 20-gauge shotgun took over an Oxnard bank.....
http://articles.latimes.com/1990-09-29/local/me-889_1_oxnard-police

BTW - a 20 gauge makes a lousy goose gun......unless you are punting :p