• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Morrissey to do jail time

Repeater

Morrissey becomes Spoiler

There has been much discussion about certain folks being spoilers. Now Spoilin' Joe wants to be one.

Question: could this work in our favor, causing the R candidate to win a plurality?

Morrissey announces independent bid
Del. Joseph D. Morrissey, [strike]D[/strike]-Henrico, announced Tuesday that he is running for his 74th House District seat as an independent.

“We have already pre-filed 389 signatures, and we are filing some more. I’ll be running as an independent on Jan. 13,” Morrissey said in a phone interview while on the way to the Henrico County Courthouse, shortly before the filing deadline.

Morrissey, who is serving time in jail, will face Republican Matt Walton and Democrat Kevin Sullivan in a special election one day before the start of the 2015 General Assembly session on Jan. 14.

Morrissey said Tuesday that “everybody, including Sullivan and the Republican challenger,” have a right to campaign. “My response to them is, good luck to both of them, and I say that in a very sincere manner,” he said.

Stephen J. Farnsworth, a professor of political science at the University of Mary Washington, said Morrissey’s decision to run as an independent shouldn’t surprise.

“It seemed pretty likely that he could pursue an independent route, given how the Democratic Party tried to limit voter participation in the nomination process,” Farnsworth said.

But whether Morrissey, should he win the special election, would survive the first days of the session is another matter, Farnsworth said. Democrats and Republicans in the House made clear last week that he could be expelled.

Anyone know Matt Walton? He kinda looks like Lex Luthor. How is he on RKBA?

va_tazdad

Run Idiot Joe Jr., Run

Glad to hear Idiot Joe Jr. has announced he will run as an independent in the election. It will show just how dumb the people of Henrico truly are if he wins.

We shall see. ;>)

2a4all

It certainly will be interesting to see if this election has any effect on how this bill is received!

HB 1362 Elections; run-off elections.

TFred

This concept seems to muddy the waters:
However, no run-off election shall be held if the total number of write-in votes cast for an office and the total number of votes cast for the candidate receiving the highest number of votes for an office together equal more than 50 percent of the total votes cast for that office.
Candidate on the ballot with most votes only gets 40%, but because the write-ins total 11%, no run-off?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Hmmmmm. :uhoh::uhoh:

cbIw2zu.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hmmmmm. :uhoh::uhoh:

cbIw2zu.jpg

In the picture, he would appear to have altered (cut off the sleeves) of his issued clothing. In most (all?) incarceration facilities that is considered destruction of state/municipal property - a chargeable internal offense.

While this may not be considered major to some, I think it is emblematic of [strike]Fighting[/strike] Poppa Joe's willingness to break the rules for his own personal benefit.

Yes, I know the photo is "created", but it does say so much and creates good talking points.

As I presume he will not be released for Christmas, I hope he enjoys his holiday meal of green turkey tetrazzini.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
article said:
Delegate Morrissey said this about his campaign. "I've been asked if I would respond to the negative ad, I will not," he said. "Every piece that I have put out has been positive...
Does this include the "piece" he put out to the 17-year-old? Does it count if she "put out," too?

People are so politically fixed, that enough will vote for this guy to split the vote. I hope your R candidate is a true conservative.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Does this include the "piece" he put out to the 17-year-old? Does it count if she "put out," too?

People are so politically fixed, that enough will vote for this guy to split the vote. I hope your R candidate is a true conservative.

We'll find out on Tuesday Mac. It should make interesting conversation at the monthly dinner :lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Joe must go

Poppa Joe continues to offend those that would have responsible representation.

"On Sunday there were fireworks ahead of Tuesday's special election for the 74th district House seat. But it wasn't the candidates clashing with each other, it was protesters versus one candidate in particular: Joe Morrissey.

This man is trying to be a lawmaker. He's shown no remorse or any responsibility of any kind for his action."

http://www.nbc12.com/story/27829376/morrissey-protesters-disrupt-74th-house-seat-debate

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Poppa Joe continues to offend those that would have responsible representation.

"On Sunday there were fireworks ahead of Tuesday's special election for the 74th district House seat. But it wasn't the candidates clashing with each other, it was protesters versus one candidate in particular: Joe Morrissey.

This man is trying to be a lawmaker. He's shown no remorse or any responsibility of any kind for his action."

http://www.nbc12.com/story/27829376/morrissey-protesters-disrupt-74th-house-seat-debate

Tomorrow will be interesting!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Breaking news - just in...

Investigators at Del. Morrissey's law office on eve of election
Posted: Jan 12, 2015 5:02 PM EST Updated: Jan 12, 2015 5:03 PM EST

Investigators were at the law office of Virginia Delegate Joe Morrissey on Monday evening, less than a day before an election would determine his political fate.

Henrico police officials would not answer questions about their response to the office of Del. Morrissey (D-Henrico) referring all questions to the office of Special Prosecutor Bill Neely. Neely did not immediately respond to our calls for comment.

http://www.nbc12.com/story/27830877/investigators-at-del-morrisseys-law-office-on-eve-of-election

Last edited:

TFred

Investigators at Del. Morrissey's law office on eve of election
Posted: Jan 12, 2015 5:02 PM EST Updated: Jan 12, 2015 5:03 PM EST

Investigators were at the law office of Virginia Delegate Joe Morrissey on Monday evening, less than a day before an election would determine his political fate.

Henrico police officials would not answer questions about their response to the office of Del. Morrissey (D-Henrico) referring all questions to the office of Special Prosecutor Bill Neely. Neely did not immediately respond to our calls for comment.

http://www.nbc12.com/story/27830877/investigators-at-del-morrisseys-law-office-on-eve-of-election
Just some free "Get Out the Vote" advertising for Joe's friends...

TFred