• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Huff Post - Black Men Openly Carrying Guns in Holsters Will End Racial Profiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sorry to be so late to the party. Don't know where some people get the idea that the Adminstration/moderators of this forum are all seeing and that we don't have lives outside of the forum.

That being said, those that do not report a problem become part of the problem. Tattling or snitching are IMO such juvenile excuses. We are encouraged to keep OCDO strong and focused - that is the work of many, not one or two of us.

At this point, I think I will first give the users who have 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] thoughts about their posts time to edit/modify them and stay on-topic in the process.

I don't personally care what color your hair, skin or eyes are. If you support the RKBA responsibly, you are my brother. Conversly, the enemy of my brother is my enemy.

sudden valley gunner

Sorry to be so late to the party. Don't know where some people get the idea that the Adminstration/moderators of this forum are all seeing and that we don't have lives outside of the forum.

That being said, those that do not report a problem become part of the problem. Tattling or snitching are IMO such juvenile excuses. We are encouraged to keep OCDO strong and focused - that is the work of many, not one or two of us.

At this point, I think I will first give the users who have 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] thoughts about their posts time to edit/modify them and stay on-topic in the process.

I don't personally care what color your hair, skin or eyes are. If you support the RKBA responsibly, you are my brother. Conversly, the enemy of my brother is my enemy.

I'd rather see the members speak out against and too and try to do that instead of relying on someone else.

You do know I have reported a few times and they do tend to be when people are extreme bigots.

man_in_shades

The fact that Black men and women who were to open carry would make a statement like no other. It would state don't come to me and harass me because I am a law abiding citizen and if law enforcement wants to harass them for exercising their God given right to bear arms then that is a civil rights issue and the government needs to correct that. On the flip side of that there are too many shoot first ask questions later cops. They shoot someone that is law abiding and they get a slap on the wrist even if they did identify themselves as cops in plain clothing I wouldn't stop unless I knew the cop or if I was in well lit area for my protection and for video purposes if I am stopped I start the recorder even if it is a license/ DWI/ vehicle inspection stop. I am in no way against law enforcement but at the same time I only trust them if I have my eyes on them and even then it's not even full trust. I know there are good cops but there are bad ones as well. I can tell you that yes the stats are stacked against Black Americans and it's too bad because I have a lot I mean a lot of friends that are Black and they are really good friends and I trust them 100%. Law enforcement harass innocent people for no reason and Blacks are targeted more than any other race because of statistical reasons. If Black Americans were treated truly as equals and were given real equal chances and taken out of the " hood " and given a fare shake, given a chance to prove their trust then and only then would the racial divide be broken and with the law abiders open carrying that would I agree close the racial divide even more

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Why is it always the left leaning who want to make it about race. I see someone OC I assume s/he is a law abiding citizen as s/he is not worried about LEO seeing the weapon. If the person I see carrying is not white and male I'm just happy to see someone from another group or gender asserting his/her rights.

I would like to see more minority race Americans OC/CC and could write pages as to why and about my frustrations as to how the current system disenfranchises poorer Americans from OC/CC. But none of that has anything to do with profiling. It has to do with wanting my fellow citizens, especially those at highest risk of violent crime, to assert their rights to self-defense and the tools to affect same.

Could this have any effect on the misuse of racial profiling (I specify misuse because profiling certainly has its appropriate place and purpose in LE)? Maybe. I would think that data from constitutional carry states might prove slightly informative on the matter. But I would expect many more immediate and noticeable affects from LACs in minority communities exercising their 2A rights en masse.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
No, no, no, no. Reading between the forum rules, it is clear that moderators are reading every posting in real time 24/7/365. That means that mods get one day off every leap year. But, you are telling us that is not the case.

Based on that, it seems you are telling us we are free to break the rules based on "catch me if you can" attitude of mind or way of thinking. Cat and mouse so to speak.
Wow!!!! this seems exciting. Do we start now????????????:banana:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Contrary to conventional thinking on both sides of the political divide, more legal guns in the hands of law-abiding black men will defeat racism and end racial profiling in this country.

I disagree. I think it'll bring the issue to a head, first, after which various lawsuits, criminal trials, and court decisions, including possibly some more from the Supreme Court, will work to end racial profiling.

No law or court decision, however, will end bigotry, where individuals in one category look down upon individuals in other categories. Bigotry is as old as the hills, and I dare say a genetically-ingrained issue largely based on it creating a tighter sense of group, which aided in our ancestors' survival.

What we can do, however, is for all intelligent, thinking individuals to ban together to help eradicate racism simply by poo-pooing it every time it raises it's ugly head.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

cloudcroft puts lie to this claim.

Let's not make it a partisan thing, shall we? Ignorance and bigotry are not political parties.

Actually I have seen it more from right leaning, but it does come from both sides. And it is disgusting, it should not be tolerated on any private owned public forum. This is not his first time either.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
OCDO neither condones nor tolerates attacks on racial groups - we are of one race = the human race!

End of story, chapter and verse.

Those wishing to comment specifically on the OP are free to do so. Off topic posts will be dealt with in accordance with forum rules and general good taste.

Last edited:

OC for ME

If cops did not hassle OCers this thread would not exist...ever need to be posted. I am not aware of Joe White Dude hassling Joe Black Dude for OCing. It is LE that perpetuates these incidents. Even one cop screwing over a LAC, regardless of race, the profiling of OCers will continue.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If cops did not hassle OCers this thread would not exist...ever need to be posted. I am not aware of Joe White Dude hassling Joe Black Dude for OCing. It is LE that perpetuates these incidents. Even one cop screwing over a LAC, regardless of race, the profiling of OCers will continue.
It is the Huff ('n Puff) Post that stirs the cauldron - bubble, bubble, toil and trouble........

MarkS

Black Panthers

Didn't the black community already try openly carrying guns -- and just got shot and branded as scary domestic terrorists that the police needed to arm themselves against and states responded to with legislative proposals to ban open carry?

Maybe I'm the only guy old enough to remember the Black Panthers, Malcom X, SNCC and Stokely Carmichael.

black-panthers-guns3.jpg

I recall that there's a long dissertation by the US Supreme Court in Chicago v McDonald that said the 2nd Amendment especially applied to local government because local governments had a long history of using the police powers of government to disarm blacks (e.g., Reconstruction-era laws that forbad blacks from owning firearms). From pp 23-25 of the McDonald decision ...

"After the Civil War, many of the over 180,000 African Americans who served in the Union Army returned to the States of the old Confederacy, where systematic efforts were made to disarm them and other blacks. ... The laws of some States formally prohibited African Americans from possessing firearms. For example, a Mississippi law provided that “no freed-man, free African American or mulatto, not in the military service of the United States government, and not licensed so to do by the board of police of his or her county, shall keep or carry fire-arms of any kind, or any ammunition, dirk or bowie knife.” ...Throughout the South, armed parties, often consisting of ex-Confederate soldiers serving in the state militias, forcibly took firearms from newly freed slaves. In the first session of the 39th Congress, Senator Wilson told his colleagues: “In Mississippi rebel State forces, men who were in the rebel armies, are traversing the State, visiting the freedmen, disarming them, perpetrating murders and outrages upon them; and the same things are done in other sections of the country.” ... In one town, the “marshal [took] all arms from returned colored soldiers, and [was] very prompt in shooting the blacks whenever an opportunity occur[red].” ... As Senator Wilson put it during the debate on a failed proposal to disband Southern militias: “There is one unbroken chain of testimony from all people that are loyal to this country, that the greatest outrages are perpetrated by armed men who go up and down the country searching houses, disarming people, committing outrages of every kind and description.” [cites omitted]​

sudden valley gunner

Those pictures of the Black Panthers OCing are them exercising their 2A rights properly, the government fears that greatly hence all the subterfuge to erase 2A rights.

utbagpiper

Banned
Those pictures of the Black Panthers OCing are them exercising their 2A rights properly, the government fears that greatly hence all the subterfuge to erase 2A rights.

Yes, there are those in government and the community who fear RKBA. Especially for unpopular minorities they'd rather oppress.

But let's be clear, what the Black Panthers did at and in the Cali legislature in 1967 was not a proper exercise of RKBA nor OC nearly so much as it was brandishing with the clear and stated intent of intimidating the members of the legislature. Hand guns in holster is OCing. Long guns, properly slung, is OCing. Firearms in hands is not OCing, it is brandishing.

And it resulted in blowback, just as similarly jack hatted foolishness has in Washington this year.

Kind of ironic that the folks who will see "blowback" in every foreign policy decision this nation has made for 50 years refuse to see the same phenomena at work in some very misguided (or deliberately harmful) firearms related activities.

Charles

sudden valley gunner

Yes, there are those in government and the community who fear RKBA. Especially for unpopular minorities they'd rather oppress.

But let's be clear, what the Black Panthers did at and in the Cali legislature in 1967 was not a proper exercise of RKBA nor OC nearly so much as it was brandishing with the clear and stated intent of intimidating the members of the legislature. Hand guns in holster is OCing. Long guns, properly slung, is OCing. Firearms in hands is not OCing, it is brandishing.

And it resulted in blowback, just as similarly jack hatted foolishness has in Washington this year.

Kind of ironic that the folks who will see "blowback" in every foreign policy decision this nation has made for 50 years refuse to see the same phenomena at work in some very misguided (or deliberately harmful) firearms related activities.

Charles

It absolutley isn't clear that it wasn't a proper exercise of the 2A especially when you understand what the 2A is.

There you go blaming citizens for the erosion of rights by the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.