• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LOCAL's forum is under attach from Russia! Is OCDO getting hit as well?

HeroHog

LOCAL's forum is under attack from Russia! Is OCDO getting hit as well?

About every 5 minutes I get 1 to 3 new "users" creating accounts on the LOCAL Forum from IP addresses in Russia, the Ukraine etc. I reconfigured the site to require Admins to manually approve accounts now and tightened up the bot filter but they are STILL creating accounts! 50 and growing so far this morning!

Anyone else in the gun community getting this?

:banghead: :cuss:

Last edited by a moderator:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
OCDO was getting hard hit about a month ago.

We installed Spam-O-Matic and now have a boring few get through. Has blocked 24,915 registrants since activated!!
http://spam-o-matic.com/

We also block certain/most countries by IP range.

HeroHog

60+ and climbing since this morning! Still getting a few every 5 - 10 minutes and I block each and every IP and email address used. Looking into Grape's app now... :mad:

HeroHog

Crud... won't help me. Mine is new user account creation issues from foreign accounts that produce spam if allowed in. I need a country filter for phpBB. :eek:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
60+ and climbing since this morning! Still getting a few every 5 - 10 minutes and I block each and every IP and email address used. Looking into Grape's app now... :mad:

Crud... won't help me. Mine is new user account creation issues from foreign accounts that produce spam if allowed in. I need a country filter for phpBB. :eek:
Block by IP RANGE, not individual IPs.

There is this, which is said to be quite effective in blocking countries and works with phpBB:
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/me_we_you_us_filter/

HeroHog

While researching the issue phpBB.com was taken down HARD!
On Sunday Dec. 14th, several of the web servers powering phpBB.com were compromised. Upon discovering the ongoing attack, we immediately took our network offline to perform a thorough investigation, which is continuing.

At this time, we would like to ask everyone to follow basic security protocol. If you were using your www.phpBB.com or area51.phpBB.com passwords anywhere else, please change them to unqiue ones.

Your personal phpBB Forums are NOT affected by the compromise of our servers.

We will be rebuilding our systems from the ground up and verifying the integrity of all data prior to coming back online. This process will likely take several days.

If you need urgent assistance, please make use of the #phpbb IRC channel on Freenode. A web-based client is available at http://webchat.freenode.net.

- The phpBB Team

I DID manage to find some help and seem to have stemmed the flood for now thank God!

Last edited:

HeroHog

I have upgraded us to the latest version of the software and taken some recommended measures to slow the spammers and it seems to be pretty solid now.
:banana: