• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buffalo Wild Wings is anti-gun

Freedom1Man

My GF and I went there to get their wings, I was CC upon entry but took my jacket off when I sat down. We were a little early for happy hour and the place was virtually empty. So the server told us that we could hang out while waiting for happy hour and answered a few of our questions.

The clock clicked past happy hour and we ordered food. So far no problems.

She brings our food out to us and THEN comments on the gun saying, "You cannot carry a gun in here, I just read that in the employee hand book"
My reply, "That is most likely just for employees, many companies do that and that you are most likely thinking of the bar area otherwise"
Her "Okay, I am kinda new so I am going to check with the manager."
Manager, she comes out, "Are you a police offer (or maybe it was law enforcement).
Me some non-answer.
Manager, "I am a gun owner, my son who is a Marine always carries, I support the second amendment (blah blah blah). But the Company policy says that only uniformed police officers are allowed to carry in our restaurants"
Me "Why was I not informed of this before our food order was taken and delivered?"
Manager had no answer that I remember.

I went out put it in the car so as to not draw my girlfriend's anger at me.

I came back in my girlfriend was talking to the manager about how there had been plenty of time to inform us about this policy so that we could have gone somewhere else and that waiting until after our meal was ordered and delivered was not appropriate.

We ate, I did not order any thing else.

After we got and paid the check my girlfriend finds the manager and chews her out over the fact that they did not even show any remorse over not notifying us about this policy until after our food was delivered so we could have gone somewhere else and that the least that they could have done was write off our meal as a way to apologize.

I then also pointed out that the bar was not properly labeled either (I do not think it was the time I went there before that either though... hmmm). She said that the sign were on order blah blah blah and that the doors had been replaced recently and that is why the entry signs on the doors notifying people of this anti-gun policy was not posted any more (I had been there months before this and there were no signs otherwise I would never have gone back).

So, in short, I guess it's time to vote with our wallets and walk out on Buffalo Wild Wings.

This happened on the 10th so, I will post any response/update as it occurs. As for location, it was the one in Federal Way.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Could you have just answered "yes" if they asked if you were a cop? Why not? Or just say "I'm off duty"

I'm guessing you are not going back.

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

Could you have just answered "yes" if they asked if you were a cop? Why not? Or just say "I'm off duty"

I'm guessing you are not going back.

She said UNIFORMED officers.

She was trying to dance around my non-answer.

I sent another message to the corporate HQ basically a copy and paste of this story just after I posted it here.

So, I send them a message as soon as we got home that night asking them when they started banning the carrying of legal firearms. No response to that.

So now, I sent them the story of what happened, as I remember it.

Last edited:

Shovelhead

BWW has been anti-Firearm (except Cops) for a loooooooong time.

Their policy:
Buffalo Wild Wings respects the right of individuals to carry firearms. One of our top priorities is the comfort, safety and enjoyment of our Guests and we have elected to exercise our right to prohibit the carrying of firearms in our company-owned restaurants. We regret any inconvenience this may cause but believe that this position is in the best interest of our Guests and our Team Members. This position may vary in independently owned franchised locations.

Pointing out the absence of a sign on the door only insures there WILL be one there next time you visit.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Is impersonating a police officer not a crime now?

Generally, simply saying "I'm a cop" doesn't rise to the level of impersonation. In states like Virginia, it doesn't become criminal basically until one attempts to use the authority of a cop without being one. (And no, being allowed to stay in Bdubs doesn't count as "authority".)

That said, the OC community encourages its members to avoid giving the impression they are cops. Also DMB's advice is singularly terrible, so there's that. :lol:

Last edited:

The Truth

I can maybe understand the angry girlfriend excuse (women are crazy animals sometimes) but there's no way in heck I'm sitting there eating that meal after being discriminated against. I'd have PEACED OUTTA THERE immediately!

jfslicer

Generally, simply saying "I'm a cop" doesn't rise to the level of impersonation. In states like Virginia, it doesn't become criminal basically until one attempts to use the authority of a cop without being one. (And no, being allowed to stay in Bdubs doesn't count as "authority".)

That said, the OC community encourages its members to avoid giving the impression they are cops. Also DMB's advice is singularly terrible, so there's that. :lol:

It appears this is true in Washington as well:

RCW9A.60.045 said:
(1) A person is guilty of criminal impersonation in the second degree if the person:

(a)(i) Claims to be a law enforcement officer or creates an impression that he or she is a law enforcement officer; and

(ii) Under circumstances not amounting to criminal impersonation in the first degree, does an act with intent to convey the impression that he or she is acting in an official capacity and a reasonable person would believe the person is a law enforcement officer; or

(b) Falsely assumes the identity of a veteran or active duty member of the armed forces of the United States with intent to defraud for the purpose of personal gain or to facilitate any unlawful activity.

(2) Criminal impersonation in the second degree is a gross misdemeanor.

[2004 c 124 § 1; 2004 c 11 § 2; 2003 c 53 § 79.]

Still, I don't think it'd be wise to answer in that manner, as police seem to take things like that personally.

SovereigntyOrDeath

I would have left and told them you have a policy against eating crappy food, but you didn't know until they served it.

Ditto. Any business that doesn't support the 2nd Amendment does not deserve one red cent.

They recently opened one here in CDA. I will have to go see if they tell me I can't OC.

Last edited:

wittmeba

From this:
Old news for BWW.

and this:
BWW has been anti-Firearm (except Cops) for a loooooooong time.

Their policy:

Pointing out the absence of a sign on the door only insures there WILL be one there next time you visit.

I'd say maybe - maybe not. There is a cost to posting signs and I'd bet the information never gets past the local manager to the Property owners.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--

I'd say maybe - maybe not. There is a cost to posting signs and I'd bet the information never gets past the local manager to the Property owners.
Unless addressed in the lease, presuming separate entrance, the property owner has no say during the term of the lease..

More important is what and how BWW upper management thinks.

wittmeba

The reason I mention that is here in Roanoke we have two different situations with BWW.

Tanglewood area. This BWW does not provide any access to any other business. You must come/go via the front door (unless you use the business rear door - not likely). Any sign would be visible and apply only to BWW.

In the Valley View Mall the BWW is connected to the Mall and once you are in BWW you can enter the mall property without exiting BWW. I don't know who would be responsible for signs in this case if they would be required.

The Valley View mall has its own set of rules regarding Code of Conduct - see item #20. This document is from the Landlord CBL and carries two different dates so it may be difficult to determine what is current. http://www.valleyviewmall.com/code-of-conduct

Perhaps a better question might be "Can BWW override the rules if a person does not enter the mall proper?".

Last edited: