• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Grade A Apple: MRAP's for "Constitutionalists"

Jeff. State

Banned
"Constitutionalists".................

This "man" is an ENEMY of the Constitution and should be treated as such. This "man" is EXACTLY why we have the Second Amendment.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If they are coming for u .. don't wait .. go get them ... old proverb
Long standing OCDO Rule:

(15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.

The Truth

Long standing OCDO Rule:

(15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.

...but if "death always comes to tyrants," how so? Old age?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
...but if "death always comes to tyrants," how so? Old age?

You misstate the Commonwealth of Virginia motto.

Sic semper tyrannis is a Latin phrase meaning "thus always to tyrants". It is sometimes mistranslated as "death to tyrants" or "down with the tyrant."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sic_semper_tyrannis

The OCDO rule previously quoted is carved in stone here - we do not break the law.

We are witnessing the end of Joe Morrissey's political life through the actions of the court, legislative system and the will of the people. That works for me.

The Truth

You misstate the Commonwealth of Virginia motto.

Sic semper tyrannis is a Latin phrase meaning "thus always to tyrants". It is sometimes mistranslated as "death to tyrants" or "down with the tyrant."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sic_semper_tyrannis

The OCDO rule previously quoted is carved in stone here - we do not break the law.

We are witnessing the end of Joe Morrissey's political life through the actions of the court, legislative system and the will of the people. That works for me.

Understood in regards to the rule.

I don't misstate our motto, I cite the elongation of the same phrase. Brutus supposedly didn't have time to say anything before Caesar's assassination anyway, so both could be bologna.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Understood in regards to the rule.

I don't misstate our motto, I cite the elongation of the same phrase. Brutus supposedly didn't have time to say anything before Caesar's assassination anyway, so both could be bologna.

Four now old dead white guys who were made to learn to both read and speak both Greek and Latin got together over beer/cider and hashed out not only what the motto should be but how the masses should translate it. And then in case there was ever any question, they added a semi-nude pictograph to make sure the masses at least looked at it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_and_seal_of_Virginia

In May 1776 the Virginia colony declared its independence from Great Britain. On July 1, 1776, a committee of four was appointed to make a proper seal for the Commonwealth of Virginia. The four men were Richard Henry Lee, George Mason, George Wythe, and Robert Carter Nicholas. Four days later the committee's report for a design of the seal was read, and George Mason presented it to the Virginia government. It was voted on and approved that same day. It is not known for certain which members of the committee were chiefly responsible for the design of the seal, but it is generally believed to be principally the work of George Wythe.
The seal makers did not want a design which in any way resembled the style of coats-of-arms used in Britain. Because of the strong admiration for the Roman Republic felt by the Virginia leaders, the design of the new seal was taken from the mythology of Ancient Rome. They also chose a two-sided design, as shown above.

The obverse of the seal is the official seal of Virginia and is used on all the official papers and documents of the Commonwealth's government, as well as on its flag. On this side, a female figure personifying the Roman virtue of Virtus was selected to represent the genius of the new Commonwealth. Virginia's Virtus is a figure of peace, standing in a pose which indicates a battle already won. She rests on her long spear, its point turned downward to the ground. Her other weapon, a parazonium, is sheathed; it is the sword of authority rather than that of combat. Virtus is typically shown with a bare left breast; this is commonly recognized as the only use of nudity among the seals of the U.S. states.

Tyranny lies prostrate beneath the foot of Virtus, symbolizing Great Britain's defeat by Virginia. The royal crown which has fallen to the ground beside him symbolizes the new republic's release from the monarchical control of Great Britain; Virginia and New York are the only U.S. states with a flag or seal displaying a crown. The broken chain in Tyranny's left hand represents Virginia's freedom from Britain's restriction of colonial trade and westward expansion. The useless whip in his right hand signifies Virginia's relief from the torturing whip of acts of punishment such as the Intolerable Acts. His robe is purple, a reference to Julius Caesar and the Etruscan king of Rome, Tarquinius Priscus.

The motto selected for the obverse of the Virginia seal is Sic semper tyrannis, or in English, Thus always to tyrants. This is a derived quote from the famous events in Roman history, attributed to Brutus upon his participation in the slaying of Julius Caesar. (Caesar had been named perpetual dictator of Rome in the same year, and some Senators believed he had ambitions to abolish the Roman Republic and establish himself as a monarch.)

A joke referencing the image on the seal that dates back as far back as the Civil War, is that "Sic semper tyrannis" actually means "Get your foot off my neck."

Folks often seem to think it's "Death always comes to tyrants" (or variations thereof involving death) by connecting the results of Booth's action with the words he said at Ford's Theater. Which, I suppose, is better than some 4th-grade boy translating it as "I can see up your skirt".

stay safe.

Last edited:

The Truth

Four now old dead white guys who were made to learn to both read and speak both Greek and Latin got together over beer/cider and hashed out not only what the motto should be but how the masses should translate it. And then in case there was ever any question, they added a semi-nude pictograph to make sure the masses at least looked at it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_and_seal_of_Virginia

Folks often seem to think it's "Death always comes to tyrants" (or variations thereof involving death) by connecting the results of Booth's action with the words he said at Ford's Theater. Which, I suppose, is better than some 4th-grade boy translating it as "I can see up your skirt".

stay safe.

I always chuckle at the translation, "Get your foot off my neck." :lol:

Primus

The only way they would be proving his point is if he already intended to violate their rights.
Now this is something we can kind of agree on.

Problem is violation is a subjective term. Very few people hold a absolute view on rights. Just ask around here you'll get varying opinions with a very few absolutes.

MY point (not the dude in the video or any one else responding to this) is simply that violence is never the answer unless its in reaction to unjust violence.

So for example Mr mcbeth had the testicular fortitude to come out and mention a bit of preemptive violence. While we disagree on that I at least respect his view.

His calling for preemptive violence is the very REASON the other dude wants the MRAP.

In fact he could pull up the two posts I quoted and bring it to a town meeting and be like "see! Told ya so!"

But the real conundrum is kind of a chicken or the egg first. They want the MRAP because of preemptive violence. The "insert group here" wants violence because they see the MRAP as aggression. So which side gives up first?

77zach

Now this is something we can kind of agree on.

Problem is violation is a subjective term. Very few people hold a absolute view on rights. Just ask around here you'll get varying opinions with a very few absolutes.

MY point (not the dude in the video or any one else responding to this) is simply that violence is never the answer unless its in reaction to unjust violence.

So for example Mr mcbeth had the testicular fortitude to come out and mention a bit of preemptive violence. While we disagree on that I at least respect his view.

His calling for preemptive violence is the very REASON the other dude wants the MRAP.

In fact he could pull up the two posts I quoted and bring it to a town meeting and be like "see! Told ya so!"

But the real conundrum is kind of a chicken or the egg first. They want the MRAP because of preemptive violence. The "insert group here" wants violence because they see the MRAP as aggression. So which side gives up first?

It is objective reality that the state is the initiator of the aggression. What's subjective is each person's "line in the sand". I would fight back right now and I would be justified to fight back if my camp had the numbers and the organization. As it stands now, I'm not going to go "lone wolf" unless they decide to haul me off to a reeducation or labor camp. And if we had the numbers, very little violence would have to be used. Civil disobedience is hard to police if lots of people are doing it, and it would be contagious. This is happening with Marijuana right now, in large part peacefully. The feds are still using aggressive violence in states where it is legal but it is becoming less and less. Same with (the horror) raw milk. Connecticut and New York are going to have their new "gun laws" undercut by the massive noncompliance with the registration process. This will be taken into account during the long and drawn out, but likely victorious, court battles.

You said, "His calling for preemptive violence is the very REASON the other dude wants the MRAP."

There are lone wolves now but you don't really need an MRAP. The KKK was a large and violent group and they went away without them.

OC for ME

...MY point (not the dude in the video or any one else responding to this) is simply that violence is never the answer unless its in reaction to unjust violence. ...
Cite to statute please, in MA if you wish, where a citizen may answer with violence against unjust violence.