Thread: WA Cease Fire "Smart gun syposium"

WA Cease Fire "Smart gun syposium"

As much as I hate buying tickets to an event sponsored by WA Cease Fire, there needs to be some opposition to their ilk. January 28th. Details here:

http://washingtontechnology.org/even..._hsmi=15304550
    Last edited by Solar; 12-16-2014 at 06:35 PM. Reason: incorrect date

Crap; right in the middle of the day. If I weren't on contract right now I'd be willing to drop the necessary coin to attend and record.
    Last edited by Jamfish; 12-16-2014 at 08:51 PM.
    Support these forums, please donate if you are able to OpenCarry.Org!

"Smart guns" are so full of fail for the purposes of self defense. Adding electronics to a firearm that prevents the mechanical parts from operating is one of the stupidest ideas ever. Battery goes out, you have an expensive paperweight. And that's just one of the many possibilities of failure at a critical moment.
    Armed and annoyingly well informed!

There are two constants when dealing with liberals:
    1) Liberals never quit until they are satisfied.
    2) Liberals are never satisfied.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    I don't know... I support new technologies. I suggest a law requiring all LEO nation wide to use them exclusively. Good way to work the bugs out.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    I don't know... I support new technologies. I suggest a law requiring all LEO nation wide to use them exclusively. Good way to work the bugs out.
    I support new technologies as well, but I think you should support our Secret Service as much as I.
    A bill requiring the SS to ONLY use "Smart Gun" technology while in the furtherance of their duties is in order.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Smart guns are to traditional guns what the 24V 6bt Cummins engine is to the old mechanical 12V 6bt Cummins engines. I'll take an all mechanical 12V over the 24V any day.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    I support new technologies as well, but I think you should support our Secret Service as much as I.
    A bill requiring the SS to ONLY use "Smart Gun" technology while in the furtherance of their duties is in order.
    Oh I do All LEO including SS must use smart guns... I think it's a fine idea for a law.

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    Oh I do All LEO including SS must use smart guns... I think it's a fine idea for a law.
    That's now it works .. its not how any of this works.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    A bill requiring the SS to ONLY use "Smart Gun" technology
    ^^ lighting bolts needed

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_pro2a View Post
    ^^ lighting bolts needed
    heh heh heh. liked that.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    That's now it works .. its not how any of this works.
    yeah I know

The supposed purpose of a "smart" gun is to only allow a single authorized person to use a gun.

How is it possible that anyone other than an authorized user can use a gun, since it is illegal for people to transfer guns to each other without going through a FFL after a background check (I-594)?

Is WA Ceasefire now alleging that a technical remedy is required for an alleged "problem" that was allegedly fixed by a legislative "solution"?

That is the question that a visitor to this symposium should ask.
    Last edited by 44Brent; 12-17-2014 at 03:53 AM.

Smart guns for cops...me likey...gotta have something smart in LE.
    Question is in order, how does the state determine if your guns are smart, or not, and if not, what then? Or, does some anti-gun nut have a father/brother/uncle in the smart gun business.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by 44Brent View Post
    The supposed purpose of a "smart" gun is to only allow a single authorized person to use a gun.

How is it possible that anyone other than an authorized user can use a gun, since it is illegal for people to transfer guns to each other without going through a FFL after a background check (I-594)?

Is WA Ceasefire now alleging that a technical remedy is required for an alleged "problem" that was allegedly fixed by a legislative "solution"?

That is the question that a visitor to this symposium should ask.

Very good point.

Will "traditional" firearms be "grandfathered" or will they become a prohibited item?

Can these weapons be disabled remotely? I would not like to have my firearm disabled when I need it most.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

German company has tech to lock ALL firearms

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    Will "traditional" firearms be "grandfathered" or will they become a prohibited item?

Can these weapons be disabled remotely? I would not like to have my firearm disabled when I need it most.

One of the speakers is from the German company Armatix. They have both a whole gun e-lock gun AND retrofits for existing guns to use an electronic barrel plug/lock that are fingerprint or PIN controlled. Here is a link:

http://www.armatix.com/System.786.0.html?&L=1

Senator Loretta Weinberg who pushed through the "smart" gun legislature in New Jersey will also be speaking. This is the legislature that mandates that within a certain time period after a "smart" gun is on the market that ALL guns in NJ must use the technology. The product itself may very well be useful and desired by certain customers but for the technology to be forced on people by gun control zealots is where things take a turn for the worse. To hand control of the weapon over to the "ether" as it were allows for any number of access points, both physical and through software or RF. We have to address these problems with our launch computer and know that even if the technology was 100 percent reliable it allows for a third party to gain control of it through legislature and/or design.
    Last edited by Solar; 12-17-2014 at 07:57 PM.