• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WA Cease Fire "Smart gun syposium"

retrodad

Crap; right in the middle of the day. If I weren't on contract right now I'd be willing to drop the necessary coin to attend and record.

Last edited:

Grim_Night

"Smart guns" are so full of fail for the purposes of self defense. Adding electronics to a firearm that prevents the mechanical parts from operating is one of the stupidest ideas ever. Battery goes out, you have an expensive paperweight. And that's just one of the many possibilities of failure at a critical moment.

twoskinsonemanns

I don't know... I support new technologies. I suggest a law requiring all LEO nation wide to use them exclusively. Good way to work the bugs out.

Rusty Young Man

I don't know... I support new technologies. I suggest a law requiring all LEO nation wide to use them exclusively. Good way to work the bugs out.

I support new technologies as well, but I think you should support our Secret Service as much as I.:p
A bill requiring the SS to ONLY use "Smart Gun" technology while in the furtherance of their duties is in order.

The Truth

Smart guns are to traditional guns what the 24V 6bt Cummins engine is to the old mechanical 12V 6bt Cummins engines. I'll take an all mechanical 12V over the 24V any day.

twoskinsonemanns

I support new technologies as well, but I think you should support our Secret Service as much as I.:p
A bill requiring the SS to ONLY use "Smart Gun" technology while in the furtherance of their duties is in order.

Oh I do :) All LEO including SS must use smart guns... I think it's a fine idea for a law.

44Brent

The supposed purpose of a "smart" gun is to only allow a single authorized person to use a gun.

How is it possible that anyone other than an authorized user can use a gun, since it is illegal for people to transfer guns to each other without going through a FFL after a background check (I-594)?

Is WA Ceasefire now alleging that a technical remedy is required for an alleged "problem" that was allegedly fixed by a legislative "solution"?

That is the question that a visitor to this symposium should ask.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Smart guns for cops...me likey...gotta have something smart in LE. ;)
Question is in order, how does the state determine if your guns are smart, or not, and if not, what then? Or, does some anti-gun nut have a father/brother/uncle in the smart gun business.

OC Freedom

The supposed purpose of a "smart" gun is to only allow a single authorized person to use a gun.

How is it possible that anyone other than an authorized user can use a gun, since it is illegal for people to transfer guns to each other without going through a FFL after a background check (I-594)?

Is WA Ceasefire now alleging that a technical remedy is required for an alleged "problem" that was allegedly fixed by a legislative "solution"?

That is the question that a visitor to this symposium should ask.

Very good point.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Will "traditional" firearms be "grandfathered" or will they become a prohibited item?

Can these weapons be disabled remotely? I would not like to have my firearm disabled when I need it most.

Solar

German company has tech to lock ALL firearms

Will "traditional" firearms be "grandfathered" or will they become a prohibited item?

Can these weapons be disabled remotely? I would not like to have my firearm disabled when I need it most.

One of the speakers is from the German company Armatix. They have both a whole gun e-lock gun AND retrofits for existing guns to use an electronic barrel plug/lock that are fingerprint or PIN controlled. Here is a link:

http://www.armatix.com/System.786.0.html?&L=1

Senator Loretta Weinberg who pushed through the "smart" gun legislature in New Jersey will also be speaking. This is the legislature that mandates that within a certain time period after a "smart" gun is on the market that ALL guns in NJ must use the technology. The product itself may very well be useful and desired by certain customers but for the technology to be forced on people by gun control zealots is where things take a turn for the worse. To hand control of the weapon over to the "ether" as it were allows for any number of access points, both physical and through software or RF. We have to address these problems with our launch computer and know that even if the technology was 100 percent reliable it allows for a third party to gain control of it through legislature and/or design.

Last edited: