• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Time Open Carry

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
When people DO notice, most probably think we're some kind of LEO, instead of who we REALLY are.

Maybe for you. There's simply no way anybody thinks I'm a cop. I have a beard, I dress "western", until two days ago I had very long hair which I wore in a ponytail.

I think it's more like: when people DO notice, they assume that – whatever you are – you know what you're doing, or you wouldn't be wearing your pistol in plain view for everyone to see.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Apparently a gentleman didn't like me carrying the other day. Walked into Taco Bell like I do almost every week. Sadly I go there often enough all the staff know me (that probably is also because its a small town). I was sitting at my table when he came in, ordered, and sat a few tables away. I was called walked up to get my food and on my way back I could hear him loudly under his breath say, "Jesus". It was obvious to notice he was looking at my firearm and seemed skidish until he was called. He got his food and walked out. On my way out I noticed he was sitting in his car eating. I guess he wasn't comfortable enough to be in the store with me? Welcome to New Mexico I guess, :lol:

That's "skittish" if you please. I have enough trouble being me without others trying to copy me. :p

Keep up the good work. Consider getting a digital voice recorder and keeping it running while you are out and about. 99.99+% of the time you will just delete a whole day's woth of "nothing happened" - unless you get a few seconds of some form of positive interaction you want to save and cherish and listen to again. But once in a great while (maybe once in your life) there will be a time when having at least an audio record would be more than helpful. Go ahead, ask me how I know. (It's a long story that breaks down to I decided not to go back 2 blocks and get it.)

stay safe.

Wstar425

I have a beard and get asked all the time if I'm LE, when OC. Apparently, you can be that and also have a beard? I dunno. I've been told numerous times that I have the classic build of a Wisconsin State Patrol Officer, tho I'm not exactly sure what that is? Many times I'm strapped to a German Shepherd on a short leash, being VERY well behaved and then I get "Is the dog in training?" To which I respond, "yes she is" which then means no petting apparently? Actually, she's just being a dog, I'm in training.

I'm not, she is, and yes, you can. I think people see a firearm and are maybe just a little more centered in their world if it is attached to somebody in law enforcement? If they give me time to respnd I say she is allowed to be petted, but many times the conversation is over before it starts. Maybe they don't want to be near a LEO? But, I've had quite a few good conversations with people afterwards. You can disagree with me, I'm ok with that. I'm also ok with it if I disagree with you. My right to keep and bear arms trumps your non right to be offended by it. That's my basic premise and I just go with it.

The very few times I've heard something negative like I don't like guns, or I don't see why anyone needs a gun, I iust say OK. That seems to flummox them, not getting a defense. I'll answer any of your questions as long as you'll answer my questions. Most just go away.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I have a beard and get asked all the time if I'm LE, when OC. Apparently, you can be that and also have a beard? I dunno. I've been told numerous times that I have the classic build of a Wisconsin State Patrol Officer, t.

Would that be the 110 female state patrol officer or the 300lb one the old standard of min 5'10 and at least 150 went away a long time ago. No beards allow in the WSP.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Yeah, I had a guy ask me once (when I still had the ponytail) if I was a cop. I laughed and asked, "do I look like a cop?"

It transpired that he didn't actually think I was a cop; he was asking precisely because he thought I wasn't, but was under the impression that only cops were allowed to OC.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Apollo221

...After getting my things I asked if they had a open carry policy...
If a place isn't posted, don't ask that kind of question. It might result in a policy being posted that you don't like.
That has pretty much become a standard for us.

If there is no posted sign/policy, it is de facto accepted. There is nothing to gain by asking.

OTOH - such a query may cause them to think well maybe we should post "No Guns" and it was the question that created that negative path.

Last edited:

wabbit

apollo while you didn't say where you are located but if in abq/rr area holler and let's meet up for coffee/chai or my favorite...desert at flying star...if you are down south, you have my condolences :eek: but i get down there on occasion...

btw...keep up the good work and OC'g